• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon R.O.W.E. - an Open World Version of Pokémon Emerald(Gen 8, Following Pokémon, Costumes and much More)

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2023
    hey @rioluwott, the discord link is expired, I was wondering if you could make a permanent one instead, thanks in advance!

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2021
    My game crash when i tried to use the dexnav(the screen just goes black), i used it a lot in my first save and now after restarting i can't use it anymore, i play on a myboy emulator and i don't know how to solve this :(

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    My game crash when i tried to use the dexnav(the screen just goes black), i used it a lot in my first save and now after restarting i can't use it anymore, i play on a myboy emulator and i don't know how to solve this :(

Myboy! is not supported for this hack, use Pizzaboy or mGBA

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    Hi I am trying to get green shards to get the starter pokemon, but Sunflora dont seem to be appearing in Route 116 and the safari zone, only sunkerns, I have beaten the elite four so the sunkerns are level 49 but there hasnt been a single encounter with Sunflora. Am I doing anything wrong?

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2023
    I don't think Sunkern/Sunflora has anything to do with Shards.
    In the original Emerald you could farm Shards from Corsola/Relicanth/Clamperl/Chinchou but i'm pretty sure those pokemon have their updated held items now (Corsola has Luminous Moss for example).
    I guess the only shards you can find are the limited ones in the overworld so it's pretty impossible to reliably get starter pokemon that way.

Another issue i want to notice is the availability of most TMs after TM50, unless i missed almost all of them.
    That way even if the Egg moves and Learnsets are updated some movesets remain incomplete. Lots of pokemon miss Will-O-Wisp for example.
    Strangely the only TM after TM50 i have is Explosion, where the Move Tutor in Pacifidlog Town gave to me. I checked with the other tutors and they don't give you the TMs.

Also found this little typo:
    https://imgur.com/Cbbflxm

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I don't think Sunkern/Sunflora has anything to do with Shards.
    In the original Emerald you could farm Shards from Corsola/Relicanth/Clamperl/Chinchou but i'm pretty sure those pokemon have their updated held items now (Corsola has Luminous Moss for example).
    I guess the only shards you can find are the limited ones in the overworld so it's pretty impossible to reliably get starter pokemon that way.

Another issue i want to notice is the availability of most TMs after TM50, unless i missed almost all of them.
    That way even if the Egg moves and Learnsets are updated some movesets remain incomplete. Lots of pokemon miss Will-O-Wisp for example.
    Strangely the only TM after TM50 i have is Explosion, where the Move Tutor in Pacifidlog Town gave to me. I checked with the other tutors and they don't give you the TMs.

Also found this little typo:
    https://imgur.com/Cbbflxm

while sunkern and sunflore don't have shards in the original games this is a hack so i changed that to make it possible to get shards with those mons, just to make it clear the only TM after TM50 is Explosion for now

The next update was supposed to be a rewrite of all the game but i scrapped it since it will take a lot of time and im somewhat busy atm so i will continue updating this one making saves compatible with future versions

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Are there any new Pokemon exclusive to Cut trees, or do the Cut trees just have Pokemon from the route they are in?

EDIT: I was having a hard time getting a Skull fossil, so I looked at the source code and sure enough, it gives the player a CLAW fossil, rather than a SKULL fossil.

EDIT 2: Evolving a Run Away Nincada gets an Infiltrator Ninjask and a Shedinja without an ability.

EDIT 3: When looking at the source code, I found two different DexNav entries for the Petalburg Woods, one that has Galarian Ponyta, Burmy, and Venonat, which is the one the game currently uses, and one that has Treecko and Chikorita, which appears to go unused. Is there a reason for this, and is the current DexNav set the one that supposed to be used, or is the other one supposed to be used?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    A somewhat big update is out the main post is updated with its respective documentation for wild pokemon and important npc the source code and of course the download link
    please enjoy!

Changelog 1.0.8
    -Added all the gen 8 Pokemon icons(Now only the galarian forms are left)
    -Added Ability Patch(Ability Capsule for Hidden Ability) to the game, you can get it in Pacifiglog for 2 Yellow Shards(you can get it from rotom and other Electric type pokemon)
    -Added some new species for the game available in the wild
    -All the Mega Stones are available now(I documented some of the locations for them in the important npc link)
    -Fighting the leaders after the seventh badge gives you a Mega stone
    -Sky Pillar is now open after you beat both Groundon and Kyogre
    -If your first pokemon has an Eviolite you will always find a first stage wild pokemon
    -You are now more likely to battle a wild evolved pokemon
    -Now split evolutions are also available in the wild and in some trainers
    -You can now trade 2 shards for the starters instead of 3
    -Sunkern/Numel/Carvanha/Corsola/Relicanth/Clamperl now can also hold Green/Red/Blue shards making starters available earlier in game
    -Fixed the fossil maniac giving you a claw fossil when it should give you an skull fossil
    -Fixed Galarian Ponyta evolving into normal Rapidash
    -Fixed some minor bugs

Are there any new Pokemon exclusive to Cut trees, or do the Cut trees just have Pokemon from the route they are in?

EDIT: I was having a hard time getting a Skull fossil, so I looked at the source code and sure enough, it gives the player a CLAW fossil, rather than a SKULL fossil.

EDIT 2: Evolving a Run Away Nincada gets an Infiltrator Ninjask and a Shedinja without an ability.

EDIT 3: When looking at the source code, I found two different DexNav entries for the Petalburg Woods, one that has Galarian Ponyta, Burmy, and Venonat, which is the one the game currently uses, and one that has Treecko and Chikorita, which appears to go unused. Is there a reason for this, and is the current DexNav set the one that supposed to be used, or is the other one supposed to be used?
    Sorry for not replying but the update was around the corner and i didn't want to double-post
    Regarding your question, the cut trees takes the land pokemon encounter table to see what pokemon you fight but im planning to use this to add pokemon inside cities at some point.
    I hopefully fixed the bugs you told me about in this update and finally the petalburg woods thing the one that has the starters is a code i left from some scrapped thing, please don´t mind it

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2023
    Great update!
    I think i love everything about it!

There is an issue on my end though whenever a dual battle is triggered, specifically the kind where both trainers look and approach you both at the same time.
    Both their pokemon appear without sprites and the battle ends in one hit with 0 exp.
    Afterwards if you decide to pick up an item in the over-world the game will freeze.
    Saving also freezes the game but if you reset you see the game managed to save.
    I also tested Mossdeep's Gym to see if the issue can be game-breaking and it happens there also.
    What's more the game freezes if you step on a switch after a "glitched" double battle so you really have to take care to battle them one by one.

https://imgur.com/a/Inuovle

Using the mGBA emulator

Years
    • Seen today
    A bugfix update is out here is the changelog
    Changelog 1.0.8.1
    -All the species(but legendaries) are hopefully available in the game
    -Fixed Breeding regional variants being impossible
    -Fixed double battles crashing the game
    -Fixed Route 123 Dexnav Issue
    -Fixed some text errors on some parts of the game
    -Fixed Frosslass Ability
    -Some minor changes

Hopefully this fixes the issues with the new code i added in the last update since i rewrote the code for the badge scaling thing that handles most of the stuff used in this game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2023
    Great job again Rioluwott!

I tried the new version and this is what i found so far:
    There is a bug with the Dexnav in route 113. The patch of grass that shakes isn't always the one that has the pokemon but instead the ones adjacent to it are.
    More importantly, while the grass is shaking, if you try to open your start menu or try to quick select a registered item the camera becomes off centered and you become stuck.
    https://imgur.com/a/xKsT5Og

Some other minor things/questions are:
    Castform not having a sprite for its forms, a weird invisible object in route 120 (If it's a Kecleon it's not like the others you can Devon scope)
    https://imgur.com/a/IVJ8dMN
    Unsure if Sheer force disables a move's secondary effects. Krabby using Metal Claw sometimes gets the Atk boost still. Life Orb works as it should with it though.
    What do you plan to do for HMs that are actually useful as moves? (Waterfall, Surf)
    Cramorant for example has its whole ability tied to Surf as a move.

Anyway amazing job so far, it's a very enjoyable hack

Years
    • Seen today
    Great job again Rioluwott!

I tried the new version and this is what i found so far:
    There is a bug with the Dexnav in route 113. The patch of grass that shakes isn't always the one that has the pokemon but instead the ones adjacent to it are.
    More importantly, while the grass is shaking, if you try to open your start menu or try to quick select a registered item the camera becomes off centered and you become stuck.
    https://imgur.com/a/xKsT5Og

Some other minor things/questions are:
    Castform not having a sprite for its forms, a weird invisible object in route 120 (If it's a Kecleon it's not like the others you can Devon scope)
    https://imgur.com/a/IVJ8dMN
    Unsure if Sheer force disables a move's secondary effects. Krabby using Metal Claw sometimes gets the Atk boost still. Life Orb works as it should with it though.
    What do you plan to do for HMs that are actually useful as moves? (Waterfall, Surf)
    Cramorant for example has its whole ability tied to Surf as a move.

Anyway amazing job so far, it's a very enjoyable hack

Im currently working on adding 70 new TMs to this game and those include the good HM moves, regarding the route 113 i took a look and it seems i forgot to completely remove the bug when you go from the left side to that route when you go there from the right side there is no bug and i think it will be fixed for the next version
    Just as a side note: a lot of gen 8 exclusive abilities/moves that work on some new strange way are not implemented in this game since the battle engine update is still working on those and im using a really old build(from around december of the last year) and the same goes for the new evolution methodsbut you can find how to evolve everything in the pokedex if anyone has any question
    I will take a look on the castform bug to see if i can fix it

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Can the Trash and Sandy cloaks of Burmy/Wormadam be obtained? The Pokedex lists them as alternate forms, but Burmy doesn't change cloaks like it's supposed to.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2021
    I've been using the 1.0.8.1 for the last 2 days and I love it so far (definitely the best ROM since Crystal Clear), great work!

One thing is (Using mGBA) I still get the Mossdeep GYM leaders' fight crash, every time. Every time I challenge Tate & Liza, the screen changes to black and never changes from that (until the game is restarted).
    P.S. I still get temporary black screens (for like 1-2 seconds) when challenged to a double battle (Not every time, it's pretty much random). Just wanted to let you know that there might still be some bugs on that part.

Years
    • Seen today
    I've been using the 1.0.8.1 for the last 2 days and I love it so far (definitely the best ROM since Crystal Clear), great work!

One thing is (Using mGBA) I still get the Mossdeep GYM leaders' fight crash, every time. Every time I challenge Tate & Liza, the screen changes to black and never changes from that (until the game is restarted).
    P.S. I still get temporary black screens (for like 1-2 seconds) when challenged to a double battle (Not every time, it's pretty much random). Just wanted to let you know that there might still be some bugs on that part.

The temporary lag may be because the game has to generate the team for the trainers since every battle it checks a lot of factors before generating the whole team
    The tate & liza freezing the game is news for me, could you tell me how many badges do you have and how many pokemon you have in your team?
    i tried it myself with 0 badges and with 8 badges and i couldn't replicate what you say

Regarding the next update, it will take a while before i upload it since it will be somewhat big adding 5 teams for each gym leader with evs scaled to the number of badges you have, 70 new TMs, another level boost for trainers after you beat Rayquaza as well as the usual bugfixes.
    What would be a feature would everybody want in this game? Nature Mints? Make the remaining legendary Pokemon available? please tell me, I'm curious

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2023
    Assuming pokemon learnsets (TMs/Tutors/Egg moves) are updated to Gen8 and Abilities and Moves work as one would expect (easier said than done), i'd consider this hack complete.

Having the rest of the legendaries available would also be amazing, especially if it's done via events (again, easier said than done).
    The hunt for Regis is still easily one of the best ways to do legendary pokemon in my opinion but even simple events like Far-away Island Mew are very tasteful.
    I can easily imagine Lugia or something else hiding in the depths of Hoen's ocean routes and having to Dive for a puzzle/dungeon. I think there is room to have fun with Hoen's sights (Space station, Meteor falls etc).
    Collecting them all is always a nice endgame if it's a bit engaging.

Another thing that could be worked on is the Battle Frontier.
    It doesn't need anything drastic since the content is there already, but it would be cool for it to take account the updated mechanics (Physical/Special split at least) or even pokemon.
    Rewards could also be tweaked to make it tempting to grind (Make a pokemon Shiny for a lot of BattlePoints? idk)

I realize most of what i said so far might be beyond the scope of the hack, so can try thinking of smaller QoL features.
    -Make Synchronize a 100% chance to encounter pokemon of the same Nature and for it to also work on gift pokemon, stationary Legends and roaming Legends (it's hard to get good natures on those).
    -A way to manipulate IVs for pokemon that can't breed/Legendaries (maybe a Hyper trainer exclusive to their kind or whatever really, anything better than soft resets)
    -Access to rare berries (pinch berries can be fun)
    -Pokeball swap feature so you can make your favorite pokemon all pretty
    -Egg move tutor(?). I'm torn on this since the Pokedex in this hack is already amazing for looking up egg moves. But it's nice if for some reason you had to swap to a moveset without the Egg move and later want to return.
    -A way to make rematches more controllable/often apart from leading with a Lightningrod pokemon and hoping for the best. Their teams could also be made more exciting.
    -This one is a personal opinion but EV reducing berries can drain your cash a lot since i buy them en masse. It ties into EV training being a bit weird with how wild pokemon scaling works and not being able to hold both an Eviolite and a EV training item. An EV viewer would also be appreciated.

That's all i could think for now, sorry for the rant but this hack is already pretty great and hey, you asked.
    Thanks for the game!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2021
    The temporary lag may be because the game has to generate the team for the trainers since every battle it checks a lot of factors before generating the whole team
    The tate & liza freezing the game is news for me, could you tell me how many badges do you have and how many pokemon you have in your team?
    i tried it myself with 0 badges and with 8 badges and i couldn't replicate what you say

Regarding the next update, it will take a while before i upload it since it will be somewhat big adding 5 teams for each gym leader with evs scaled to the number of badges you have, 70 new TMs, another level boost for trainers after you beat Rayquaza as well as the usual bugfixes.
    What would be a feature would everybody want in this game? Nature Mints? Make the remaining legendary Pokemon available? please tell me, I'm curious

I have 4 pokemon (Lucario, Volcarona, Dreepy and Greninja). I currently have 6 badges (I had the same issue with 5 badges and just took another GYM leader to see if it fixes the problem. Back then, the Greninja was a Frogadier).
    I am using the Randomized mode but not the inversed one (I don't know how relevant that is, but just in case it is..).
    I can try and record this, if that helps.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    The old man in Shoal Cave does not give the player the Slowbronite, even though his speaks about it when he gives the player their first Shell Bell as if he gave the Mega stone.

Edit: As for what else to add, this hack desperately needs more PC Pokemon Box spaces, especially if the remaining legendary Pokemon are being added.

Last edited:
    Back