• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Region Generator

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2021
    Hello, my apologies but I would like to ask if possible if you could elaborate on what file to move out in order to remove the
    C:/Ruby27-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.7.0/gems/rvpacker-1.2.0/lib/RGSS/serialize.rb:90:in `load': undefined class/module PBAnimations (ArgumentError)

as I'm not sure if it's related, though I'm unsure how long it takes to load if that's the problem as I've waited 2+ hours for the Cartograther to load, following Q5 of the notepad for a map preview where it's showing biome data, though still at [Layout Preview] despite running on a ssd. I'm assuming I could open it with RPGMakerXP after it's done generating also?
    Clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Years
  • Hi SinnohGible, you actually can ignore the PBAnimations error, it does not affect anything. I'll try to go back and edit some of those old posts to avoid others getting confused.

What part are you waiting on to load? Are you just waiting for the program to launch, or having issue when hitting "Generate"? There's no way it would take 2 hours to do anything. Did you read the included readme file which explains how to get the files into RPGMaker? If it's getting stuck when you hit "Generate", can you check if there's any errors being logged in the CartographerOutput/log.txt?

Years
  • So, I actually found a solution to the PNG generation memory issues. I was able to find a 3rd party library which can output the PNG contents one line at a time, instead of needing to hold the entire image in memory all at once. I hacked together a working version and the memory footprint is much nicer! It is slightly slower to generate than before, but I might be able to cut that down some. I also figured out why my error message for memory use wasn't displaying. However, since there are a few outstanding things on my list now I will probably be bundling them together in another release instead of a hotfix as originally planned. So, next release should at minimum have:

-New PNG generation that uses much less memory
    -Fix Gym display on the PNG preview & decouple the remaining textures from my old code, instead being pulled from the tileset file
    -Fix the layers that ponds are placed on, so that they actually show up within an RMXP game while it's running

I don't know yet if I will try to squeeze in any new features or just fixes/improvements.

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
  • I had a minor feature Idea you might be able to easily build into the next version of the program. different color map indicators for specific towns. for example:
    Towns with gyms have a Brown coloration
    The starting town is Blue
    and if planned in the future, the pokemon league can be purple
    All of these apply to the town map, and might save time on people who want or can't use the preview to figure out where their starting town is.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2021
    Hello Unbayleef, thanks for the response. Only things in log.txt have (this will not affect any generation) so I presume they aren't the problem. I click generate, entering either no seed or random seeds trying numbers, with no response. Install RVPacker has no issues, and the only Unpack Project problem is the undefined class/module PBAnimations (ArgumentError) from before which I presume is unrelated. But it also mentions above that "[DEPRECATION] The trollop gem has been renamed to optimist and will no longer be supported. Please switch to optimist as soon as possible" which if I had to guess may have to do with the issue. Yeah stuck on 5. still as it's Generating... for eons. You don't have to, but any help would be appreciated!

Years
  • Hmmm, that's interesting.

So the [DEPRECATION] warning is also normal and won't cause issues. And in fact, the generation itself does not require rvpacker anyway, only the conversion of the files does. The only thing that comes to mind that might cause it to get stuck but NOT produce an error, is if your available RAM was actually quite low, which would cause paging and drastically slow the process. But even then, 2 hours seems unreasonable. How much RAM do you have on your PC?

Here is another question - so, when you click "Generate", the button will usually change appearance to be "pressed" down. But I've noticed that, if the generation actually gets stuck (vs just taking a long time), you will notice the "Generate" button actually pops back up. Do you notice that happening? If so, try waiting until that happens before checking the log.txt. It might be that the time you checked, the process was ended too early to produce the error.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2023
    Dude, I just finished my first game and I Seriously went insane because of mapping! Thank you so much for this tool, can´t wait to try it out :D

Years
  • Yeah, let me know how it goes! If you plan to make a full game, I definitely recommend using the generator as a base and then customizing to make the maps more unique & "designed". Right now it would make for a kind of uninteresting game without any changes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Hello Unbayleef, thanks for the response. Only things in log.txt have (this will not affect any generation) so I presume they aren't the problem. I click generate, entering either no seed or random seeds trying numbers, with no response. Install RVPacker has no issues, and the only Unpack Project problem is the undefined class/module PBAnimations (ArgumentError) from before which I presume is unrelated. But it also mentions above that "[DEPRECATION] The trollop gem has been renamed to optimist and will no longer be supported. Please switch to optimist as soon as possible" which if I had to guess may have to do with the issue. Yeah stuck on 5. still as it's Generating... for eons. You don't have to, but any help would be appreciated!

Yeah, I'm getting the same problem as you here. Though one thing I'd like to add: Apparently the trollop gem thing also doesn't break anything, according to Stack Overflow. Though without that, I don't see what the problem could be here at all.

EDIT: Didn't see 6th page of thread. Editing this to respond to dev's question, since the og poster never did.
    Hmmm, that's interesting.

So the [DEPRECATION] warning is also normal and won't cause issues. And in fact, the generation itself does not require rvpacker anyway, only the conversion of the files does. The only thing that comes to mind that might cause it to get stuck but NOT produce an error, is if your available RAM was actually quite low, which would cause paging and drastically slow the process. But even then, 2 hours seems unreasonable. How much RAM do you have on your PC?

Here is another question - so, when you click "Generate", the button will usually change appearance to be "pressed" down. But I've noticed that, if the generation actually gets stuck (vs just taking a long time), you will notice the "Generate" button actually pops back up. Do you notice that happening? If so, try waiting until that happens before checking the log.txt. It might be that the time you checked, the process was ended too early to produce the error.

Well I can say now, at least for me, that RAM isn't the issue here. I have 16GB of ram on my laptop, and I'm experiencing the same issue. And as for the button popping back up, I can't really say if that's the case for certain because I'm not sure if I ever saw what it looks like normally. If it's of any help, then the button looks the exact same after I click it, and I am able to click it again with no problem.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm honestly not sure what's happening in your 2 cases. Considering it happens every time for you, and never happens for me, I don't think it is a latent bug with the generation. It seems like it must be something configuration-wise that is different on your PC vs mine. Here's some ideas:

1.Is your Java version 64-bit?
    2. Are you running a Windows OS? Although Java as a language is cross-platform, I have not designed or tested for other OS versions and would be very surprised if it worked outside of Windows.
    3.Can you try running the .jar from the command line with a higher memory allocation? For example:

java -Xmx4g -jar CartographerAlpha1.2.4.jar

4. Assuming you are using v1.2.4, does v1.2.3 work successfully or have the same issue? *(Version 1.2.2 does have a bug where the generation can occasionally get stuck, but it's only maybe 10% of the time)
    5. If you are using any custom PBS files, try swapping in the default Essentials ones and see if the problem still occurs.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    I'm honestly not sure what's happening in your 2 cases. Considering it happens every time for you, and never happens for me, I don't think it is a latent bug with the generation. It seems like it must be something configuration-wise that is different on your PC vs mine. Here's some ideas:

1.Is your Java version 64-bit?
    2. Are you running a Windows OS? Although Java as a language is cross-platform, I have not designed or tested for other OS versions and would be very surprised if it worked outside of Windows.
    3.Can you try running the .jar from the command line with a higher memory allocation? For example:

java -Xmx4g -jar CartographerAlpha1.2.4.jar

4. Assuming you are using v1.2.4, does v1.2.3 work successfully or have the same issue? *(Version 1.2.2 does have a bug where the generation can occasionally get stuck, but it's only maybe 10% of the time)
    5. If you are using any custom PBS files, try swapping in the default Essentials ones and see if the problem still occurs.

1. It is, however I'm using a different version from the Oracle JDK, called OpenJDK. Not sure if that changes anything though.
    2. Yeah, I'm on Windows 10. Hoping this isn't the issue though, but it could very well be.
    3. I did this, and I actually got an error that wasn't the evolution stuff, which is a step forward to fixing this. Here's what it says(since for some reason I can't post the link to it due to spam protection):
    Spoiler:

4. 1.2.3 doesn't want to run in the folder I have it set up on right now, so I'll skip over this for now and edit this post once I can run it and get results from it.
    5. Yeah, I'm using unmodified Essentials for this, so no modified PBS files for me here.

Years
  • Windows 10 will work fine as that's what I have - I was more meaning that I doubt it would work on Mac, Linux, etc.

I don't think you mentioned what the "Evolution stuff" error you were getting was, unless I missed something. Thought you had said there was no error being output.

But the other error saying it can't find the "Rectangle" class seems like it could very well be the fact that you are using a different JDK. I just use Oracle JDK. Doing a quick search, "com.sun.javafx.geom.Rectangle" is a JDK internal class, so it probably won't work without Oracle JDK, I'm guessing. I might try to change that, it's not something I ever thought about being a problem.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    Windows 10 will work fine as that's what I have - I was more meaning that I doubt it would work on Mac, Linux, etc.

I don't think you mentioned what the "Evolution stuff" error you were getting was, unless I missed something. Thought you had said there was no error being output.

But the other error saying it can't find the "Rectangle" class seems like it could very well be the fact that you are using a different JDK. I just use Oracle JDK. Doing a quick search, "com.sun.javafx.geom.Rectangle" is a JDK internal class, so it probably won't work without Oracle JDK, I'm guessing. I might try to change that, it's not something I ever thought about being a problem.

Well, I remember the last guy who brought this up mentioned the evolution errors, so the fact that I got something other than that is a good start. I'll try and switch JDKs quickly to see if it's just a problem with OpenJDK.

EDIT: Well, switching to Oracle JDK didn't do anything. I left it on for a while in the background and it didn't finish, and I don't think it should take as long as it was, so I'm gonna chalk that up to a no-go solution.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Did you remove the OpenJDK first, or just install both? Maybe it could still be trying to use it? The "Rectangle" class is not something I wrote, it's built in to the Oracle JDK. I honestly cannot fathom what else it could be, if you are still getting the same error. I think I will try to find any JDK-dependent classes and swap them out in the future to hopefully get ahead of that particular issue.

Years
  • Unless there are required features that are in RPG Maker, please make a version that can be used for ROM hacking. (Specifically Gen. 3)

Years
  • The actual generation could probably be used to create maps for ROMs if you knew how to format the map data. I understand you can export maps from software like AdvanceMap, so theoretically you could create that type of file using generated map data, but you would have to understand how that file is constructed, which I don't know anything about. However things like trainers and other events would be more difficult from what I understand, and you certainly couldn't use the existing code that's designed to work with RPGMaker for that. In short, It might be possible but it's probably more time/effort than I'm willing to allocate towards that, sadly. I'm moving pretty slowly even with just my current goals, so I'd hate to slow things down even more by dividing the work into two separate avenues. If a lot of people are interested in that idea and someone who knows how the formatting works or any other advice I'm not against looking into it more, though.

Back