• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Starter Kit for RPGM VX?

How much would you like a starter kit for VX?

• Meh, if you insist.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
    I'm sure every game maker appreciates Poccil's work when he released his Pokemon Starter kit. But that was for RPGMXP. Now that VX has added a new perspective on game making, some beginners need help making a game. Thus this question pops up:
    "Does anyone know of a Pokemon Starter Kit for RPGMVX that is finished or pending?"
    I'm sure if there is one, it would be very helpful.

But then another question comes up:
    "Does anyone know how to convert Poccil's Starter Kit to VX(if it's okay with him, of course)?"
    This too, would help new ones with VX, like myself.
    Do you know if there is something like that?
    Tell us then!
    ~POKEM4NlAC

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    XD

VX is relatively new, so I am positive there are no Starter Kits for Pokemon already released, remember it took years for Pokemon Essentials to be released, but I'm sure if you look around you can find some scripts that may make a similar engine.

And I wouldn't say that VX revolutionised game making, more like "Made like a fancy version of RM2k3"...

Hall Of Famer

Born as Hall of Famer
    Years
    I'd love to support this idea, man, and I think a RMVX starterkit would be excellent for fan games in future. However, it's fairly difficult to convert a RMXP game to RMVX and I wonder if we will ever be able to do that...

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    It could theoretically possible, since the two scripting systems are similar, but I don't see it happening, since RMXP will be obsolete within a couple of years...

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
    XD

VX is relatively new, so I am positive there are no Starter Kits for Pokemon already released, remember it took years for Pokemon Essentials to be released, but I'm sure if you look around you can find some scripts that may make a similar engine.

And I wouldn't say that VX revolutionised game making, more like "Made like a fancy version of RM2k3"...
    Oh, I've tried to look around, but the most promising ones have been dormant for like months! lol

yea, i agree that revolutionized isn't the best word...
    how's this: Now that VX has added a new perspective on game making,

I'd love to support this idea, man, and I think a RMVX starterkit would be excellent for fan games in future. However, it's fairly difficult to convert a RMXP game to RMVX and I wonder if we will ever be able to do that...
    Yea, I heard that it can be done, but I have NO clue whatsoever how to do it! >.<
    If anyone has an idea, plz pm or post!

It could theoretically possible, since the two scripting systems are similar, but I don't see it happening, since RMXP will be obsolete within a couple of years...
    Uh huh, since XP will become useless, I've been trying to stir up need for a starter kit for VX, so we don't have to wait too long once the focus shifts from XP to VX.
    thanks for commenting though! ^^

Theik

Fancy Cape Knight
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2014
    VX is utterly horrendous. It is a downgrade from XP, whoever decided to go from a tile based system that worked perfectly fine to whatever -crap- they call their new map making system should have been shot. It really is that bad, just stick to XP.

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
    VX is utterly horrendous. It is a downgrade from XP, whoever decided to go from a tile based system that worked perfectly fine to whatever -crap- they call their new map making system should have been shot. It really is that bad, just stick to XP.
    hmmm..can you elaborate? i think vx is perfectly fine lol. However, i am more used to xp...

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Am I right in thinking that there's a limit to the number of tiles you can use in VX? That sounds horrible, and a definite downgrade.

How exactly will XP be made obsolete by VX? It's still perfectly usable, and it's more supported because it's been around for longer (e.g. more available scripts). The only thing I can currently think of that VX does better is that it has 5 tile layers instead of the 3 that XP has (as I recall). But careful use of your tiles should mean that 3 is all you'll need (plus you can throw in blank events with images as a pseudo-4th layer anyway if you really need to).

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    Upgrading from RMXP to RMVX for the sake of upgrading RMXP to RMVX is an extremely short-sighted, hypocritical goal that should not be taken seriously. Newer is not always better, and that's something most people on these forums will never understand.

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
    Am I right in thinking that there's a limit to the number of tiles you can use in VX? That sounds horrible, and a definite downgrade.

How exactly will XP be made obsolete by VX? It's still perfectly usable, and it's more supported because it's been around for longer (e.g. more available scripts). The only thing I can currently think of that VX does better is that it has 5 tile layers instead of the 3 that XP has (as I recall). But careful use of your tiles should mean that 3 is all you'll need (plus you can throw in blank events with images as a pseudo-4th layer anyway if you really need to).
    I don't think there is a limit to the tiles...if there is im switching back, but i still think that there should be a starter kit for those who like it, don't you guys?

Upgrading from RMXP to RMVX for the sake of upgrading RMXP to RMVX is an extremely short-sighted, hypocritical goal that should not be taken seriously. Newer is not always better, and that's something most people on these forums will never understand.
    can you explain? I think VX is perfectly fine, unless the tile limit is true, and there are a lot more options too! lol
    i just don't get why so many people are not comfortable with VX, i really like it ! lol

InMooseWeTrust

Jack of All Trades
    Years
    Newer is not always better. In another couple years, Enterbrain will come out with ANOTHER version of RPG Maker and we'll be having this same discussion again. It's like how people convert to D/P graphics just for the sake of doing so, even if they're using Pokémon Essentials where 80x80 pixel graphics resized look horribly distorted.

People will use the limitations of RPG Maker XP as an excuse to switch over, but how many people have surpassed the limit of 999 items? How about maps? And Pokémon? You get the idea. How about actually FINISHING at least one game with Pokémon Essentials/RPG Maker XP? If people can't even do this, then they shouldn't worry about how many different ways they can make things even more complicated for themselves. I don't see ONE Pokémon fangame on PokéCommunity being finished within the next few years. Silver Chronicles could be, but victorspvl insists on keeping it going forever...

How about a Sphere or Game Maker starter kit instead? They would both be better options because of how much control you get. With these two, you also don't have to spend weeks scripting a mouse function similar to the DS stylus because the foundation is already there.

This all has to do with everyone's desire for the MOST and BEST of everything. In this case, they want to fulfill their desires of creating the PERFECT game, with the MOST features, BEST engine, and the GREATEST Pokémon game that has ever been made. Is it that bad to work with what you already have? No matter what anyone says, Nintendo has made really amazing games despite all the limitations of the hardware they have used. Would you want them to keep upgrading and adding on, trying to make the perfect game? Even if it means you'll never be able to enjoy ONE complete game because of the inevitability of improvements in technology, Nintendo will NEVER be finished with anything?

Whatever happened to working with what you already have? I know RPG Maker XP has a lot of limitations, but you could use it to do great things and make a game that's truly exceptional. Yes, some people will argue that you can make a BETTER one with RPG Maker VX, but that alone is not a good justification for upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

Also, how many people who voted in favor of your idea have substantial experience in working with RMVX? To those who say no, I will never accept their reasoning until they can prove to me that they can do things on RMVX as well as they can on RMXP.

Last edited:

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
    Newer is not always better. In another couple years, Enterbrain will come out with ANOTHER version of RPG Maker and we'll be having this same discussion again. It's like how people convert to D/P graphics just for the sake of doing so, even if they're using Pokémon Essentials where 80x80 pixel graphics resized look horribly distorted.

People will use the limitations of RPG Maker XP as an excuse to switch over, but how many people have surpassed the limit of 999 items? How about maps? And Pokémon? You get the idea. How about actually FINISHING at least one game with Pokémon Essentials/RPG Maker XP? If people can't even do this, then they shouldn't worry about how many different ways they can make things even more complicated for themselves. I don't see ONE Pokémon fangame on PokéCommunity being finished within the next few years. Silver Chronicles could be, but victorspvl insists on keeping it going forever...

How about a Sphere or Game Maker starter kit instead? They would both be better options because of how much control you get. With these two, you also don't have to spend weeks scripting a mouse function similar to the DS stylus because the foundation is already there.

This all has to do with everyone's desire for the MOST and BEST of everything. In this case, they want to fulfill their desires of creating the PERFECT game, with the MOST features, BEST engine, and the GREATEST Pokémon game that has ever been made. Is it that bad to work with what you already have? No matter what anyone says, Nintendo has made really amazing games despite all the limitations of the hardware they have used. Would you want them to keep upgrading and adding on, trying to make the perfect game? Even if it means you'll never be able to enjoy ONE complete game because of the inevitability of improvements in technology, Nintendo will NEVER be finished with anything?

Whatever happened to working with what you already have? I know RPG Maker XP has a lot of limitations, but you could use it to do great things and make a game that's truly exceptional. Yes, some people will argue that you can make a BETTER one with RPG Maker VX, but that alone is not a good justification for upgrading for the sake of upgrading.

Also, how many people who voted in favor of your idea have substantial experience in working with RMVX? To those who say no, I will never accept their reasoning until they can prove to me that they can do things on RMVX as well as they can on RMXP.
    that makes sense, but wouldn't VX be a good replacement for Sphere cuz it's is closer, but like you said, not better, to a game making program we would enjoy and use?

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    Meh, XP is a fine vehicle for Pokémon Essentials. VX seems to add features that would benefit other RPGs, but it's really nothing groundbreaking or important.

SL1MSHADY

WATCH THE THRONE
    Years
    Meh, XP is a fine vehicle for Pokémon Essentials. VX seems to add features that would benefit other RPGs, but it's really nothing groundbreaking or important.
    isn't the feature for more autotiles be a good achievement???
    i don't get why ppl don't like vx...

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    isn't the feature for more autotiles be a good achievement???
    i don't get why ppl don't like vx...

I don't really know much about what VX adds, actually. XD More autotiles would always be nice, but I'm okay with the available slots right now.

Atomic Reactor

Its more complicated to map.
    Thats all i can remember, i really didnt enjoy it at all.

Atomic Reactor

im sure if i had more exposure to it, id learn to like it.
    i also remember not being able to figure out how to import custom graphics!
    but that could just be my lack of observation skillz...

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2009
    i donno, but does that mean most ppl think that a starter kit is useless for vx? cuz i kinda do, but if there is one, i would use it...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back