• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon StarterKit XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    Boy am I thankful for that! I am glad you are sticking with HGSS graphics. BW really has graphics taylored more for the 3d element of things; with the panning camera and whatnot.

Will we be able to update into this version or will we have to download something new?

Years
  • Unfortunately it'll have to be a complete redownload.
    I'm rolling back the version numbers so it'll be impossible to use the updater on the BW version anyway.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    That's perfectly fine with me! I liked having the updater included with the download; please do consider doing it for this one as well!

Years
  • Oh i will do don't worry :)
    I've just got Wild Battles in tall grass working, so that's all good!
    Also, as you saw in the previous screenies, the battle system is going well.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    Yes, I am loving every update on your progress so far! Keep it up!

Also, Out of curiosity will the sprites be animated like HGSS or like BW?

Years
  • Well for now they're B/W animated because that's how the previous sprite class was set up, but i'll include an option at some point to make them animated like HG/SS

Edit: If you want to talk to me, or ask me a question, there's always my twitter! https://www.twitter.com/PlanetDev

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    haha alright thanks I'll be sure to bombard you with questions soon then! lol

And That's an awesome idea too include both options.

Ultimo Spriter

I'm back ...
    Years
  • Wait so what Black and White features are you going to be dropping now?
    Other then that, looks really good. Can't wait for a full release.

Years
  • haha alright thanks I'll be sure to bombard you with questions soon then! lol

And That's an awesome idea too include both options.

Heh, well i'm more active on twitter now so go ahead!

Wait so what Black and White features are you going to be dropping now?
    Other then that, looks really good. Can't wait for a full release.

Well, everything really for now.
    I'll slowly add features i think are useful though, for example, animating pokemon in battle is still in.

Years
  • This thing is great, I've already started playing around with it so I can get used to it for when it's ready to actually make games.
    Heck, I've even changed some images around.

I truly believe this will slaughter poccil's Pokémon Essentials, once completed. As great as his pack is, it's so outdated and could be a lot better.

Years
  • Thanks! That means a lot :)

Well make sure you save all your custom images and stuff before you upgrade the new HG/SS version, which will be uploaded in the next few days!

EDIT: Derp, here it is.

Yeah, here it is, the new improved Pokemon StarterKit XP! In the style of Pokemon HG/SS!
    I've rescripted almost everything in a few days, so yeah.
    A few things arent' finished yet, but i'll fix those in future updates.

Here's a list of unfinished stuff.

- Battle System.
    - Talk button on Menu
    - Selection screen.

Here's the changelog since i "restarted"

ChangeLog said:
    #========================================================
    # * Pokemon HG/SS StarterKit by Crazyninjaguy
    # * First Release
    #========================================================

Added (Since removal of B/W Features):

- Wild battles starting in Grass (Terrain Tag 3)
    - Pokemon Battle Sprite Position moving
    - Added EXP tables for every growth rate up to Level 100
    - All scripts in the Script Editor with a ~ after their name have been commented
    for ease of reading, and possibly learning.
    - Rescripted Title Screen from scratch.
    - Rescripted Loading Screen from scratch.
    - Rescripted Menu from scratch. (Not Finished)
    - Rescripted Summary Screen from scratch.
    - Rescripted Battle System from scratch. (Not Finished)

Download: https://www.planetdev.co.uk/PokemonStarterKit.zip

Last edited:
    Years
  • This makes me very happy.

So happy that I'm currently making a new and better title screen for the kit and it's taking ages because I'm tired and waiting for this to download (stupid Australian internet).

It looks mighty fine so far ;)

Ahhh, it's so much bigger than the last one.

Years
  • Heh, yeah, i did all that in a couple days. Shows what just setting your mind to something can do :3

Spoiler:

This will be in the next update!

Also, don't forget you can contact me anytime via twitter: https://www.twitter.com/PlanetDev

Years
  • Also in the next update will be a new title screen ^^

Images by me, hopefully CNG will put the Pokémon slideshow back in, on the bottom screen (I left a big empty space just for that).

Would be nice to be able to resize the screen as well since the resolution is of course meant for the smaller screen and not 2x.

Edit: You should add in a switch for whenever you face a direction, so if you face left then switch 'Left' turns on, if you race right then switch 'Left' turns off and 'Right' turns on.
    This could be useful for things like sliding on ice, or going up stairs.

You can easily make stairs look like you're actually going up by making it do a map scroll, however you have to set the entire movement path yourself and it wouldn't be very nice if you have then sitting around everywhere, just a nuisance.
    You could put the script onto the middle of stairs and then use a conditional branch to make it move your camera or down, left or right.

It's really just a nice way to make the system seem a bit more 3D, because that Mode7 thing is cool and all, but it doesn't really make it 3D - especially tiles which will just appear flat unless you make them a script instead of tile.

Edit2: There's a really easy fix to make the camera center correctly on the player, I noticed it wasn't centered whenever I entered the Pokemon Center ;\
    ok well I was using the starter kit v1.5 and I saw that if you had a map size of 20 x 15 the character would be way off the map so I opened the scripts and did so math to center it and heres how to fix the error or what ever you call it.
    Go to Game_Player*
    find:
    max_x = ($game_map.width - 20) * 128
    max_y = ($game_map.height - 15) * 128

and replace it with:
    max_x = ($game_map.width - 15) * 128
    max_y = ($game_map.height - 10) * 128

I found that out because with the screen size of 480 by 320 it only shows 15 blocks across and 10 down and if the screen size was 640 by 480 there was 20 blocks across and 15 down. ok so hope this helps :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2012
    I'll just throw in my suggestions for this.

Add the option to raise the maximum amount of pokemon on the player's team, to say, 8 or 10.

I forgot my other suggestion I'll just post this.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'll just throw in my suggestions for this.

Add the option to raise the maximum amount of pokemon on the player's team, to say, 8 or 10.

I forgot my other suggestion so yeah I'll just post this.

I honestly like having a limit of 6, and I'm sure others do too. He'd have to edit images and placement too and it's somewhat gay.
    Although, maybe adding another thing to the menu where you store eggs so you can hold 6 Pokemon and then 2 or 3 eggs as well - that would be the only real reason to have more than 6 slots.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    That seems...unnecessary? I personally would rather have focus spent on finishing the important things before adding something only a small handful of people would actually need.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back