• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spinoff: Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

I am thinking of replacing the Crystal Type ability with normal attacks, since it's bugged for 3/4 o

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2024
    A pretty interesting rom hack! It'd be cool if in a future update if some of the trainer cards beside professor elm used their gen 2 artwork. From what I remember; Potion, Pokedex, Energy Removal, Switch, and Energy search had new artwork by the end of the neo and gen 2 e series cards.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2023
    Hello, first of all I want to clarify that these sprites are not mine, they belong to 2 users from a Vg Resource forum called Plino and Yo-Yo Boy from a 2012 project. Basically they tried to create a pokemon tcg 2 rom hack but apparently the project quickly became simply making sprites of various sets. What I want to ask is if it is even possible to create something like that? I'm talking about the logos in the menu and the expanded sprites.
    I personally don't know anything about them, much less have I met them, but I would like to know if anything they planned to do is possible to do now
    Pokemon TCG: Neo (Final release)

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Hello i will play and love it so bad you can't add all card :S but it's a lot of work very thank you !!!

Cataclyptic

Everything I say is a lie
    Years
  • Hello, first of all I want to clarify that these sprites are not mine, they belong to 2 users from a Vg Resource forum called Plino and Yo-Yo Boy from a 2012 project. Basically they tried to create a pokemon tcg 2 rom hack but apparently the project quickly became simply making sprites of various sets. What I want to ask is if it is even possible to create something like that? I'm talking about the logos in the menu and the expanded sprites.
    I personally don't know anything about them, much less have I met them, but I would like to know if anything they planned to do is possible to do now
    View attachment 105169

Short answer: you cannot do this using the TCG1 rom system but you could probably do it in RPG maker or Unity or something.

Long answer: in order to do this sort of thing for the TCG rom, you'd have to completely overhaul every system in the game to fit the purposes of something to this effect. As a basic example, the pixel width of your screenshot is clearly larger than the screen size of the game, so you'd have to make the entire game be whatever new frame this is. The menu's and UI's would have to be adjusted as well for the same reason, and also to accomodate whatever new programs you need, such as that shiny icon or that trainer symbol.

Same with adding the dark and steel types, thise would also need an expanded menu. The sprites are also an issue. You can only use 4 colors max per sprite. They solved this issue in TCG2 but I don't know how yet, and neither does rhe Pret apparently.

So yeah, your best bet to pull off a system like this is to use RPG maker or another game engine.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    I really enjoyed playing this hack. Seeing all of the gen 2 cards in game is really cool.
    It seems that Crobat is really overpowered compared to the other cards in terms of efficiency/dmg. It can do 70 dmg with Toxic (50 before opponent can attack) for just 2 energy cards. This makes it probably the best stage 2 pokemon in the game. Colorless mons don't really stop it since poison does 40 dmg every turn.
    Also, Steve mentions a Zapdos after you beat the e4 and talk to him.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • I really enjoyed playing this hack. Seeing all of the gen 2 cards in game is really cool.
    It seems that Crobat is really overpowered compared to the other cards in terms of efficiency/dmg. It can do 70 dmg with Toxic (50 before opponent can attack) for just 2 energy cards. This makes it probably the best stage 2 pokemon in the game. Colorless mons don't really stop it since poison does 40 dmg every turn.
    Also, Steve mentions a Zapdos after you beat the e4 and talk to him.

Oops, missed one line. I will correct that in V1.2. I'll also take a look at Crobat too.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hello,

Thanks a lot for creating this hack, it's absolutely amazing! I always wanted to see a hack with neo set, never thought that anybody would actually do it :)
    The balancing of the cards is also great and much needed, it makes the game way more enjoyable. My only comment so far is that Celebi (shining equivalent) is too overpowered in my opinion. 60 HP + absorb that does 20 dmg and usually 10 recovery for 1 G energy is already too strong, stronger than Hitmonchan (comparable strong unevolved). Magical leaf is just too much, it does 30 dmg and always seriously cripples the defending pokemon in some way, for just 2 energies. I use a Meganium/Espeon deck with Celebi and it has the best attacks for the smallest number of energies, I'd definitely consider a nerf or redesign, if you agree.
    I'm looking forward to the next version :)

Take care,
    Kuba

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Completely new to these boards. Only joined to say how much I enjoy the hack and that I've been playing the crap out of it. Had a couple different questions and some balance notes.

It's been forever since I played the base game so I dont know if theres something similar there that it's based off of, but is the Professors challenge machine intended just to try out new decks in a gauntlet format, not to give any sort of prize for reaching X wins in a row streak? Also, have collected about 4,000 total cards and still for the life of me cannot collect D25 Kabuto or D46 Blissey out of the Laboratory set. I've just been bullying Joseph in the Science gym to get more of those packs and have yet to see either. Is this just insanely bad luck or am I missing something?

I do agree with what an above poster said about Crobat feeling very strong right now. The double poison let's you win a lot of matches you shouldnt have otherwise, especially against high HP mons. My biggest concern is that it's a 0 retreat cost. Thematically it fits Crobat's speed, but it doesnt get punished by poison at all for it. Once Crobat gets a knockout or two, and your opponent starts putting in pokemon with 1 energy only on them the only real chance they would have to come back is to whittle it down with poison over time. But you can switch freely out to your bench, and if you pair it with a line like Hoppip-Jumpluff who also have 0 retreat cost, you can just switch it back in for free as well.

Ultimately the deck I'm using to farm cards is based on Zubat, Hoppip, Oddish and then using Master Ball and Pokemon Breeder to try and get an early Stage 2 evolution out as they all take only 2 energies, so you can be running them as early as your 2nd turn if you get a bit lucky with your hand.

Overall though I love the hack. Old school pokemon tcg brings back a lot of nostalgia, so I definitely appreciate th ee's time and effort you put into this project!

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Completely new to these boards. Only joined to say how much I enjoy the hack and that I've been playing the crap out of it. Had a couple different questions and some balance notes.

It's been forever since I played the base game so I dont know if theres something similar there that it's based off of, but is the Professors challenge machine intended just to try out new decks in a gauntlet format, not to give any sort of prize for reaching X wins in a row streak? Also, have collected about 4,000 total cards and still for the life of me cannot collect D25 Kabuto or D46 Blissey out of the Laboratory set. I've just been bullying Joseph in the Science gym to get more of those packs and have yet to see either. Is this just insanely bad luck or am I missing something?

I do agree with what an above poster said about Crobat feeling very strong right now. The double poison let's you win a lot of matches you shouldnt have otherwise, especially against high HP mons. My biggest concern is that it's a 0 retreat cost. Thematically it fits Crobat's speed, but it doesnt get punished by poison at all for it. Once Crobat gets a knockout or two, and your opponent starts putting in pokemon with 1 energy only on them the only real chance they would have to come back is to whittle it down with poison over time. But you can switch freely out to your bench, and if you pair it with a line like Hoppip-Jumpluff who also have 0 retreat cost, you can just switch it back in for free as well.

Ultimately the deck I'm using to farm cards is based on Zubat, Hoppip, Oddish and then using Master Ball and Pokemon Breeder to try and get an early Stage 2 evolution out as they all take only 2 energies, so you can be running them as early as your 2nd turn if you get a bit lucky with your hand.

Overall though I love the hack. Old school pokemon tcg brings back a lot of nostalgia, so I definitely appreciate th ee's time and effort you put into this project!

Thank you for your kind reply! Yes, Crobat will be nerfed in V1.2.

As for the Kabutops and Blissey thing, I think it's just bad luck. The documentation is all right, and when I switched Kabutops to a common rarity I pulled it, which proves it's in the set. Same with Blissey. I do think the game has a quirk where each time you get a pack, you can only pull certain rares for that instance only, so even for soft resetting with save states its hard to get the rare you want. Sorry!

Edit: and five minutes later I got a Blissey normally. So yeah it's just bad luck X/

Last edited:

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Are there any plans to implement the original Pokémon TCG cards with this new one?

No, because that isn't what this game is about. Also, because unless Otato up above finishes the card expansion mod, or somebody completed the pret for TCG2, I am limited to 228 cards exactly, so putting more in is currently impossible.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2023
    So far I've only gone through 2 clubs, but I'm wondering if later game opponents get access to potion since I don't think I've seen any npc play it. The jump from 20 to 30 for no cost makes it insanely powerful. If it were printed like that in wotc era it would be a 4 of in many tournament level decks.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • So far I've only gone through 2 clubs, but I'm wondering if later game opponents get access to potion since I don't think I've seen any npc play it. The jump from 20 to 30 for no cost makes it insanely powerful. If it were printed like that in wotc era it would be a 4 of in many tournament level decks.

A couple do play it. Although the AI is the AI, so whether they use the cards in their decks is a different question (I barely understand how the computer makes decisions, all I can do is get it to understand how to play cards legally). I do agree that potion is a lot better, and it's hard to balance because at 30 heal it's really good, but healing 20 damage it barely saw any play (from what I can tell).

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2023
    A couple do play it. Although the AI is the AI, so whether they use the cards in their decks is a different question (I barely understand how the computer makes decisions, all I can do is get it to understand how to play cards legally). I do agree that potion is a lot better, and it's hard to balance because at 30 heal it's really good, but healing 20 damage it barely saw any play (from what I can tell).

I've been making my own hack (you inspired me here, so thank you!) and implemented similar changes to yours. Do you know if some AIs skip potions even if you put it in their decks? From what I could tell from the code all AIs are capable of using potions, but I might be missing something.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • I've been making my own hack (you inspired me here, so thank you!) and implemented similar changes to yours. Do you know if some AIs skip potions even if you put it in their decks? From what I could tell from the code all AIs are capable of using potions, but I might be missing something.

Again, I sadly do not know how to make the AI play good. I can get it to play legally, but an answer to that question requires someone smarter than me. Sorry.

Good luck with your hack though!

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2024
    Playing 1.11, noticed that the person in the Challenge Hall tells you the reward will be a lv60 Mewtwo when it's actually a Master Ball.

Also, here's a fire deck I've been using to good results. It uses a Charizard line, so it's probably going to be out of reach for anybody who hasn't used the "always unread mail 5 & 6" cheats like I have or gotten really lucky.

9x Fire Energy
    7x Lightning Energy

2x Houndour lv16 (the one with smog)
    2x Houndoom lv44
    4x Charmander lv15
    4x Charmeleon lv28
    3x Charizard lv80

3x Professor Elm
    4x Bill
    3x Pokemon Trader
    4x Energy Search
    1x Master Ball
    3x Switch
    3x Computer Search
    3x Potion
    2x Super Potion
    3x Full Heal

An ideal first-turn setup for me is putting the Houndour out as my first Pokemon with a single fire energy for smog and building up to a Charizard on my bench. Besides the attacking Pokemon and one backup, I tend to hang onto any other basics in case I need fodder for a Computer Search later on.

EDIT: Also, Houndoom's Midnight Blaze is beastly. 90 damage across two turns.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's been a while since I ended 1.11 and I was just passing by to see if there was any update available.
    I want to say that I had such a blast the first time I ended this game, but for the balance I'd like to ask for a weaker Celebi (the one that has absorb and hits for 30 with status). I kinda steamrolled the game with him. And I think the Feraligatr that hits for 50 and does an energy removal is busted.
    Other than that, even if the game could have balance issues (well, we can't code a bill with "supporter" yet) I had such a good time and challenge playing it.
    Congratulations for the excellent hack rom!

Cataclyptic

Years
  • It's been a while since I ended 1.11 and I was just passing by to see if there was any update available.
    I want to say that I had such a blast the first time I ended this game, but for the balance I'd like to ask for a weaker Celebi (the one that has absorb and hits for 30 with status). I kinda steamrolled the game with him. And I think the Feraligatr that hits for 50 and does an energy removal is busted.
    Other than that, even if the game could have balance issues (well, we can't code a bill with "supporter" yet) I had such a good time and challenge playing it.
    Congratulations for the excellent hack rom!

Thank you! There will be one final update, but it's been delayed time and again for various reasons. I don't know when it will come out.

I can tell you that an updated nerfed Shiny Celebi will be in that update though, and possibly the feraligatr as well, I'm looking into it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2023
    Is there a way for me to see every card somewhere? I'm referring to a documentation file. So far I've a seen a list of what every pack can contain but I'm looking for something that has all the costs and attacks of every card. Love this romhack, first time playing this game and so far it feels great.

Cataclyptic

Years
  • Is there a way for me to see every card somewhere? I'm referring to a documentation file. So far I've a seen a list of what every pack can contain but I'm looking for something that has all the costs and attacks of every card. Love this romhack, first time playing this game and so far it feels great.

Not yet, the documentation will be in the next and final version. Which if all goes to plan, comes out somewhere between next week and next month.

Happy to hear you're enjoying the game though!

Last edited:
    Back