• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon types they got horribly wrong

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    A lot of times when I read threads like this, most of the type changes I see suggested are more in the lines of "I think this would be cool!" logic than something that makes sense to what the Pokemon is based on. Yanmega being a Dragon-type would be cool I'll admit, but I don't like the logic I normally see used that it's a dragonfly, because I can just as easily use that italicization logic to justify its current type by saying it's a dragonfly.

I think some of it has to do with wanting to see more diversity in certain types. Do you know how many non-Legendary, non-Mega Evolution Dragon types aren't Dragon, Dragon/Flying, or Dragon/Ground? A whopping four--Kingdra, Hydreigon, Tyrantrum, and Dragalge. Half of those are only from the the most recent generation, and one of those two is only part-Rock because it's a fossil.

And, while you could argue that Dragon has bad diversity because it's a rare type, more common types also have similar issues. There are a total of 8 non-Legendary, non-Mega Electric types that aren't mono-Electric--Magnezone, Lanturn, Rotom, Emolga, Galvantua, Stunfisk, Heliolisk, and Dedenne. And, only two of those, the magnets and Lanturn, existed before Gen 4. (And, the magnets, themselves, were originally mono-Electric.)

And, then, there's Grass, which has very few non-Legendary, non-Mega dual types outside of Grass/Poison, and even outside of that, also has a tendency to get paired with Bug, Flying, and Dark often.

And, speaking of Bugs, you'd be hard-pressed to find dual-type Bugs that aren't Bug/Poison, Bug/Flying, or Bug/Steel. I could go on and on. A lot of people are simply tired of seeing the same type combos over and over again, especially if it's on a Pokémon that could've just as easily been something else.

Simon Science

Scientist
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2015
    Apart with the past comments here is my personal selection:

Goodra isint part poison.
    When i learned goodra wasent part poison, i was immidiatley mad at game freak. Literally any time we see a ball of goo in the games its a poison type. Not only would a poison type benifit goodra by resisting fairy, but it would just make sence. You catch it (or its pre evolution) in a swamp that has many poison types in it. It just dose not make scence for goodra to not be part poison. Speaking of which:

Dragalgee isint Dragon/Water
    When i heard that Dragalgee was going to get a dragon type and its pre evolution was poison/water, i prayed it would keep the water type instead of poison. For a special tank water helps out dragalgee more giving it STAB on scald and other water moves, not mentioning the loss of weakness of ice. From a purley logical standpoint, it wouldent matter if dragalgee lost its poison type. Pokemon have lost types by evolution before and some pokemon who look like they could be poison types just have poison related abilities, see Breloom's poison heal.

Chansey isint part fairy
    Just why. All other cute pink blobs got fairy. Why not chansey? Some might say its new typing would make it over powered, but i dissagree. Iron head from a strong physical pokemon(see mega metagross) would definetly do solid damage to chansey. And poison dosent lack its own physical moves, with gunk shot existing. And blissey literally has small wings to make it look like a fairy. The new fairy type has been inconsistent thats for sure but chansey and its family are definetly the worst.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I haven't read much of our posts here, so I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but I feel it'd be better in the long run if they had made Luxray part dark. Its appearance reminds many of us of this particular type-group, I'm positive, and it also has access to a good amount of dark moves, so why not put the icing on the cake and turn this Pokémon into a dark-type? Aside from that, due to similar reasons, I also believe it'd be nice if Gyarados were to partially become a dragon-type someday.

Years
    I'm questioning where the "Grass" part of Gourgeist comes from. ._. Would it make more sense if it was like, Ghost/Fire or something?

Well, pumpkins do grow as a plant so that explains the Grass-type...

And I'm also with the bandwagon that thinks Psyduck and Golduck should have been part-Psychic. Psyduck unleashes psychic powers when it has headaches, and Golduck looks like something that'd make use of psychic abilities, but I guess why they were left part-Water was because Psychic was an overpowered type at the time the line was introduced so, yeah.

Years
    Trees comes from plants too, but Sudowoodo isn't a grass-type (regardless of the fact that it's based on a dead tree).

It and Bonsly are based on bonsais, which are miniature fake trees. According to Bulbapedia, Sudowoodo is also based on petrified wood which is a fossilized plant, and as we know all the fossil-based Pokemon are Rock-types.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
    Luxray should have been electric/dark. It would gain many more weaknesses, but dark type is a great STAB to have. Maybe it would be NU or RU instead of PU. In addition, it looks like its a dark type!

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I agree that the Psyduck line should've been Water/Psychic, even if it'd lead to too many Water/Psychic types in Gen 1. Maybe they could've made Starmie Water/Electric?

As for Ninetales, I think it should've been Fire/Ghost. It's known for cursing people, and that's something a ghost would do.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I've never quite understood why Gyarados is a flying type. I mean, does the thing even fly? It seems like it should have been Water/Dragon. Not only would that make more sense with its design, but it would also get rid of the 4x weakness to electricity.

Also, I think that Gastly should lose its Poison typing once it evolves into Haunter. It makes sense for Gastly, because it's a floating ball of gas, but it doesn't make much sense on Haunter or Gengar. Plus, they'd fare a lot better in battle if they didn't have a weakness to Psychic.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I'm questioning where the "Grass" part of Gourgeist comes from. ._. Would it make more sense if it was like, Ghost/Fire or something?

It's a pumkpin, and it's plant life. I think that's commonly associated with a grass typing.

EDIT: whoops, didn't notice I was on page 2 :/

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Three words. The. Goomy. Line. It's so bizarre that they're Dragon types! I think would be better as Ground types, hence Goodra learning Earthquake and Bulldoze.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Vibrava is a Dragon Type?

There are usually Pokemon with types that fit with their traits and appearance. But rarely...it's what you least expect.

So, which Pokemon has/have a type that doesn't make sense to you?

Imo, Vibrava. The only reason it's a Dragon-type is because of what it's based off: a dragonfly.
    Also, I didn't really get Nuzleaf's Dark typing. I just don't get it.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    Gyarados Water/Flying... Granbull Fairy...
    Also I think some Pokes should have additional typing just because it would suit them nicely for example - Psyduck/Golduck lack Psychic type

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    I think considering how popular Trapinch, Vibrava and Flygon were in the original Hoenn games that many people remember their typing well. There's a reason Flygon's Mega was wanted so badly.

For me I always forget that Numel is both Ground AND Fire. I suspect it's Ground with it gaining a Fire typing upon evolving in to Camerupt.

Azurill being Normal type.

Kangaskhan not being Ground type.

Gengar's line being both Ghost and Poison, not simply Ghost.

Seadra's lack of Poison typing.

Sawsbuck and Deerling being Grass/Normal.

Years
    Solrock being a Rock-Psychic type? Why not fire-rock or just pure fire? It's a goddamn sun rock, it spins fire!

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    Gyarados being a Water/Flying type how about Water/Dragon or even just Water? That I never understand.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For a while, I've found Charizard's secondary type to be sort of unfitting, which was flying. In this particular type-group, I always imagine there to be Pokémon that are based off birds and winged insects, which Charizard isn't, and because of that, I believed it to be best if they were to make make this Pokémon partially dragon. Luckily, however, they sort of fixed this issue for me in generation seven when they gave Charizard a dragon-type mega-form.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    It's actually really funny how Vibrava and Flygon have Ground as their primary and Dragon as their secondary type, instead of the other way around, like every other dragon.

Weird types:
    - Gengar being part Poison Type
    - every mon with a secondary Normal Type
    - every fossil being part Rock Type
    - Dedenne, Azurill-line being part Fairy Type

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
    I've always found Mr. Mime's secondary Fairy type doesn't fit in with it. I can never see how a mime of all things can be a Fairy or anywhere close to resembling a Fairy. Also I do think Gothitelle's type doesn't make sense when it comes to name and appearance, it looks and sounds more like a Dark type than it does Psychic.

EDIT: Just realized I made a giant mistake. Fixed X3

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    Goomy, Sliggoo, and Pangoro are just a few other Pokèmon those types don't fit in with. Why are Goomy and Sliggoo dragons? Why is Pangoro Dark?

Oh, also, the Lake Guardians. Shouldn't they be fairies? I mean, they're small, they resemble fairies, and they even their names suggest they should be fairies.

However, a few of the see typings do make sense.
    Weird types:
    - Gengar being part Poison Type
    -Every fossil being part Rock Type

The Gastly line's typing is simple: they're made of poisonous gases. But are they even ghosts?

Second, the prehistoric ones may have not been fully revived, or the Rock typing has something to do with the fact that they're primitive.

Last edited:
    Years
    Luxray should be part dark, let's be real. Never got why it wasn't. I also don't really get why Palkia is a water type. As the pokemon of space, ghost or psychic would make more sense. The only reason I can think of is that pearls are formed in water.

Back