• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon X and Y and its relevance to the Modern Day[Minor Spoilers]

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
Years
  • I'm a good Half way through the game and so far, I'm loving it. It has the same feel of the old games in bringing back a lot of our older favorites while keeping it fresh and adding new features and one of the largest regions yet to explore. One thing that sets this game apart from any of the others to date is the overarching theme of the story: Money.

It doesn't matter where you go or what you do, there's always at least one person asking for a hefty tip or some form of payment. Early on, there's the Mansion and its greedy owner whom has taken the Poke-flute as payment. You're charged for so much as entering the mansion and Shauna, as a recurring theme throughout the game, voices her irritation. Then, there's the haunted house in the woods before the fourth gym. You go to visit, you're told a story by its owner, and then he charges you money for said story and once again Shauna voices her concerns.

As well as these instances, you can also look at Team Flare. The VERY FIRST Flare Grunt you come across simply states "We're here to ensure we're happy and no-one else!", mimicking the modern day corporations in the US and America. That same grunt and his fellow team members are at that point looking for fossils to -Sell-. This isn't the first time a Team in the pokemon games has gone after fossils, Team Rocket did so in Mt. Moon in the first generation...But this IS the first time they have done so in search of greed as opposed to power. They were in it for the money. Finally, the last instance I have seen where I am in the game is in the Pokeball factory. As you walk in, one of the Flare admins is attempting is attempting to take the factory from the CEO. On top of this, they then offer him a chance to join their criminal organization for FIVE MILLION DOLLARS. Team Flare is clearly modeled after the 1% of our world.

Aside from these more notable instances, you can also see another VERY relevant parallel to our world in Lumiose City. On every street corner, there's another Cafe that's virtually the same on the inside but painted with a different color on the outside. In at least two instances in the game, one with Serana/the male Rival if you're female and one with Professor Sycamore, you have to go through the tedium of walking through one Cafe to the next in an attempt to find someone. For me, it took five minutes of searching for each of them. This can be tied to the numerous very similar franchises like Burger King, McDonalds and Jack-in-the-Box competing with one another in the real world, sometimes within walking distance of one another. It points out the sheer insanity of it all.

Black and White and Black 2 and White 2 made a serious leap forward in Pokemon's story by giving us something to think about. It made us legitimately question whether or not it was right to capture and battle with Pokemon. X and Y take that one step further by tying it into the real world. Though many of us would like to deny it, the Pokemon games are made primarily for children and I must applaud Game Freak for trying to point out the reality of our world through such a brilliant allegorical style.

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Really interesting post. Agree with what you said about Team Flare in particular.

Back