• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yellow hack: Pokemon Yellow - 151

Years
  • Hi there,

I played your game up to the end. Even if it's 96% similar to the original game (Which I was warned about, since you said it), it was good in general.

What I liked about it:
    - The fact that we can teach our Pikachu how to surf! It was my first time ever that I got a Pikachu with Surf, and when we surf on it, the sprite is cool as well! It's a real change from the usual "whale" sprite.
    - The fact that I could try the Pikachu Surfing minigame for the first time in my life too! ;) It was fun!
    - TM15, TM23 and TM50 are sold in the regular mart in Celadon! It's sure much better than TM37, of course! (Still, I would have liked other TMs at marts, but it's okay!)
    - Game Corner prizes are different. (Getting a Lv39 Slowpoke for just 120 coins is a really good "aubaine"). ;)
    - In-game Trades are all different except the one Cubone for Machoke. They are all good trades too!
    - You kept the same Pokémon and the same moves as Gen 1! (It's very important for trading with TGB DUAL, coz games are to be 100% compatible!) ;)
    - Well, the fact we can get all Pokémon in the game! (It's not a necessity for me, since I trade by using TGB DUAL, but it's good for sure!) ;)

What I less liked:
    - The only thing is that the game is 96% similiar to the original game (same texts, same maps (almost), same marts (almost), same trainers, same gym leaders and same Elite 4, etc.) But, since you told us about this, it's alright, and I was prepared for this!

Bref, your game is quite good. Sometimes, simplicity is the best for avoiding bugs and glitches, and it makes the original game more attractive, especially with Pikachu and Surf which I never got before in my entire life... Thanks so much for letting me experience this in my life! ;)

Have a good day! ;)

Thanks for checking it out! I'm glad to know that you liked it!
    I am a little confused at the part where you liked the game a little bit less because of the 96% similarity - I'm just confused if you wish it were MORE similar, or that you wish the hack made the game LESS similar to the original. It's just a curiosity thing. I am grateful that you took the time to both play and review my rom hack!

Actually, if you wouldn't mind, could I ask you to leave a review on rom hacking .net ? It really helps my hack reach more people. But if not, that's quite alright! I really appreciate what you've already put here, in the forum! I noticed you also checked out the Crystal 251 hack as well - thank you. I also have a Blue 151 hack up at RHDN as well, just in-case you gotta get 'em all ;)

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    Heya Razormime!

I like this idea of Rom hack, but I was wondering how do you apply those patches?
    The link you shared only downloads ZIP that contains "Pokemon Yellow 151 PATCH.ips" file + pics but there is no base game with it.

Is it possible somehow to apply that patch on any normal pokemon yellow rom?

EDIT: HEH managed to find out, all looks fine now :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2022
    Thanks for checking the hack out! I really appreciate it.
    Sorry for the late reply; I've been away for a bit. Unfortunately I do not have the original source code with my changes on Github. Believe it or not, but this was my first rom hack using the disassembly, and I sort of learned as I went, and didn't make proper documentation within the code as to what I changed, added, or removed. I also do not really know how to use Cygwin beyond building my rom - by that I mean that I don't know what (if any) commands I can use to produce a "differences" list or whatever.

Would you let me know if applying my patch over that other patch works out okay? that sounds like a really cool idea!

I think applying your patch over on the graphics gen II rom might not be clean. I was unable to receive a fishing rod from someone at Vermilion City (to the left of the pokemon center). The game simply froze. :(

Would you be willing to upload the source code for your rom hack somewhere?

Years
  • I think applying your patch over on the graphics gen II rom might not be clean. I was unable to receive a fishing rod from someone at Vermilion City (to the left of the pokemon center). The game simply froze. :(

Would you be willing to upload the source code for your rom hack somewhere?

how would I go about preparing a source code file?

Years
  • Hey! Thanks for checking it out! I'm really happy you gave it a go! Especially since I got the surf HM sorted out - that was really something I wanted from the start.

I thought about adding that, but I just really like vanilla for it's nostalgic sense. While playing, I do get the desire to add modern conveniences like that, but then my lines start to get blurred, and I start thinking "well why don't I add this other thing, then, too?" and pretty soon the project gets away from me. Also, it think it would make the bicycle redundant. This patch should be compatible with other patches, though! as long as the other patch doesn't conflict with any of the changes I've implemented. If there is a singular patch out there that only adds running shoes, you should be able to run that patch before you run my patch and be good to go. Same for uncensoring sprites and what-not.

Also, If you are interested, I have done the same thing with Pokemon Crystal: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10386677#post10386677

i have zero interest with the gen 2 games like crystal
    i'm only playing either the gen 1 games or some of their remakes from gen 3
    I also might give yellow 151 another clean run with a fresh new save file if & when a new version of that comes out

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2022
    So is the only way to get Golem, Gengar, Alakazam, and Machamp via in-game trade? Or will the wild Pokémon evolve by leveling up too?

Years
  • So is the only way to get Golem, Gengar, Alakazam, and Machamp via in-game trade? Or will the wild Pokémon evolve by leveling up too?

only by in-game trades, jjterps. those 4 pokemon are not found in the wild nor they will evolve by level up as I have played this game myself

though I wonder is missingno is somehow available in yellow 151 (just curious) as the creator of yellow 151 also made a blue 151 game and someone in another forum recently asked about getting missingno in blue 151

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Jun 25, 2023
    I think you forgot to add abra route 24. I been searching for 30 mins and still cannot find any abra although its 15% encounter rate in red and blue game

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think you forgot to add abra route 24. I been searching for 30 mins and still cannot find any abra although its 15% encounter rate in red and blue game

no chengdeptrai123. you're looking in the wrong place in yellow as abra has been relocated. it's not found in routes 24 & 25 anymore unlike in the red/blue games.
    Abra is found only in routes 5, 6, 7, 8 & in the rocket game corner prize exchange in celadon city, just like in the original yellow game

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Dec 10, 2023
    Any chance you can add gender selection? Not enough yellow rom hacks with this feature

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    this hack + gen 2 graphics upgrade and overworld color patch would be perfection

Years
    Days
    • Seen Jan 8, 2024
    Enjoying your 151 Yellow rom hack; great work.

Just wondering if Seel was moved from Seafoam Islands? Also where would Jynx be located.

Years
  • Enjoying your 151 Yellow rom hack; great work.

Just wondering if Seel was moved from Seafoam Islands? Also where would Jynx be located.

Seel is still somewhere there in Seafoam Islands, so it's not moved - check the "bottom" or lowest floors in yellow (like where you find Articuno) as Seel is more likely to be encountered there than on the "top" floors.
    otherwise, look here.

as for Jynx, again - check the "bottom" floors of Seafoam Islands. I know I encountered a Jynx somewhere on one of the bottom basement floors.

just walk around as both Jynx and Seel aren't found in the water

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Apr 25, 2024
    Hey, great work, absolutely love this. I just have one issue. Everytime. I try to redeem my coins at the game corner my game crashes. DO you know of any way to fix this?

Years
  • Hey, great work, absolutely love this. I just have one issue. Everytime. I try to redeem my coins at the game corner my game crashes. DO you know of any way to fix this?
    I am sorry to hear that! I can say that I haven't seen this issue in my playtests on different devices and emulators, and I have not heard of anyone else having this problem yet! I just tried to recreate the issue and everything seems to be working fine. I'm thinking there is something going on with either the base yellow rom having either a wrong revision number, or some internet hiccup happened when downloading either the patch or rom, OR it was the patching process that did something. I've responded to your DM as well, so we'll get you squared away, I'm sure.

I DO know that the retron hardware/emulation has known compatibility issues with other rom hacks.

Years
  • only by in-game trades, jjterps. those 4 pokemon are not found in the wild nor they will evolve by level up as I have played this game myself

though I wonder is missingno is somehow available in yellow 151 (just curious) as the creator of yellow 151 also made a blue 151 game and someone in another forum recently asked about getting missingno in blue 151
    So MISSINGNO was actually just harder to encounter in Yellow than it was in Red and Blue. I haven't changed anything in regards to MISSINGNO encounters in Yellow 151, so you should be able to find it however you originally could. With Blue 151, I have two patches available in the download: One which simply adds a dock to Cinnabar to prevent the programming oversight from appearing, and a patch to remove the dock, so you can encounter MISSINGNO again.

Years
  • Any chance you can add gender selection? Not enough yellow rom hacks with this feature
    I have no plans to add this, myself. However, if there was a hack which makes ONLY that change, it should be compatible with my hack - I would just patch using the gender selector hack first, and then mine.

Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I am sorry to hear that! I can say that I haven't seen this issue in my playtests on different devices and emulators, and I have not heard of anyone else having this problem yet! I just tried to recreate the issue and everything seems to be working fine. I'm thinking there is something going on with either the base yellow rom having either a wrong revision number, or some internet hiccup happened when downloading either the patch or rom, OR it was the patching process that did something. I've responded to your DM as well, so we'll get you squared away, I'm sure.

I DO know that the retron hardware/emulation has known compatibility issues with other rom hacks.
    Hi Razormine and Diddlemyloins, I am having the same problem. Are there any updates on this?

Back