• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon You Refuse To Evolve

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
  • Are there any Pokemon you just can't bring yourself to evolve? Often times an evolution is assumed to be an "improvement ", but sometimes we feel that it's better to keep them unevolved, perhaps for aesthetic reasons (the unevolved form is "cuter"), or perhaps there are actual advantages in battle (being able to use the Eviolite, as an example).

Have you ever had a Pokemon who during your playthrough, you couldn't bring yourself to let it evolve?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I once refused to evolve Magneton until around the E4 lol. Other than that, I generally let my Pokemon evolve.

I know a few people who don't evolve their Magneton haha. I used to do the same thing, but Magnezone grew on me after a while.

A few Pokes that I sometimes keep from evolving are Misdreavus, because it's cute, Chansey, because Eviolite, and Doublade for the same reason (Aegislash is one of my favorites, so I like having a Doublade and an Aegislash) ^^;

Years
  • I never try to leave a Pokemon unevolved, because they won't be able to show their true strength. Plus, not many evolution designs bother me that much so I'm totally fine with it.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I always fully evolved my Pokémon in the Team as they can become much more powerful than their unevolved stage and also, they are capable of learning strong moves . I also like the design of evolved Pokémon more.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    There are Pokémon I don't evolve, but they were for Pokémon Contest use only. Otherwise, there's no point on stopping the Pokémon to evolve. As Nichole says so, it truly brings out that Pokémon specie's potential. (Colress much? xD)

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    No, I always let my Pokemon evolve. I generally don't raise a Pokemon if I don't like its evolved form. The only reason I wouldn't evolve my Pokemon yet is because in their prior form they can learn a certain move earlier rather than 20 levels later in this most recent form.

Years
  • Closest might be any that need a stone to evolve, since I'm like "but what if I regret my decision to use the stone, and can't get another easily?", and I might take forever to come to a decision.

But otherwise no, if I use a pokemon and plan on continuing to use it, then it gets fully evolved (if I can manage it) by some point or another.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • While I haven't actually raised all these Pokemon, the following are all Pokemon I love that I don't see myself ever evolving.

Dewott
    Dragonair
    Dusclops
    Vigoroth
    Haunter
    Vibrava

Spheal

There's others, but these are the main ones. There's also stuff like Duskull, Beldum, and Totodile which I technically like a little more than their evolutions, but... I still like their evolutions a lot so I'm fine with it in favor of them being usable.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    Usually I don't evolve my dragonairs. But i am trying to get a shiny phantump and I won't be evolving that since I already have a shiny Trevenant

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Rhydon with eviolite is much better than a ryhperior on its best day.

Plus, it's so much cooler looking.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • Usually only Ivysaur until a certain point became its my favorite Pokemon. When I was breeding my current batch of Saurs, I let a few Bulbasaurs learn Leaf Storm first.

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
    Years
  • About 79% of the time, I heavily miss my Pokemon's first evolution. Even middle evos, sometimes. Hated to get my Fennekin to her final form, as I got so attached to the middle evo.
    My Piplup from Diamond, will never evolve. Everstone, and training him to level 100. This was my first ever actual starter outside of Colosseum's Espeon/Umbreon. But my first -real- starter Pokemon. I also don't care for it's evolutions at all.
    My starters almost always are at risk of never evolving, but I normally am fine with it eventually. Piplup staying, well, a Piplup was the plan from the beginning though. :P
    If I use a Pokemon in my main team more then once, I keep one a evolution under the last. Just so I don't have two of the same I'm attached to.

Years
  • I can't think of any one Pokémon that I deliberately keep its main stage, unless I do a no evolutions challenge or something like that. Even if there are a couple Pokémon I tend to like more than their evolutions. Maybe i'll do a Frogadier solo run sometime :P

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • I always let my Pokémon evolve! Sometimes is hard though, the Pokémon is so cute and you don't want it to evolve but I end up evolving that Pokémon! As Hikamaru said, when a Pokémon is full evolved, it is able to show its true strenght, but if a Pokémon is not full evolved, it can be strong, but it doesn't have its true potential!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I evolve more or less all of my Pokémon, but off top of my head, one that had taken me an extremely long time to get around to evolving would be Nidorino. I didn't have any idea that it needed Moon Stone to become Nidoking and whatnot, so I kept training the Pokémon until about level 80 or so. I was a bit frustrated at myself when I've managed to discover that it needs this item in order to reach its evolution.

Back