• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Poll: Which Gen III game is the best?

Which Gen II game is the best?

• Pokemon FireRed

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Pokemon LeafGreen

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Pokemon Ruby

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Pokemon Sapphire

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Pokemon Emerald

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    I pick FireRed because its the first game I tried and...... its almost personal now..... MY SAVE FILE GOT CORRUPTED!

UPDATE:

Alright, poll is over! And the winner is....

Pokemon Emerald!

Note: You can still vote by commenting all though you can't vote on the poll anymore. We would still like to hear your great opinions about why you picked your choice!

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I don't really like the generation III games, since I hate both Heonn and Kanto so much.
    I think I only voted for Emerald as it was the only Generation III game I played. And yeah, me too, my game file always got corrupted. :<

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

Emerald all the way. Partially because yes, it is the first game I had too, so there are happy memories, including the fact that I couldn't complete it until late 2006. And it's the only game where I've ever racked up 100+ hours on it. But also because unlike LeafGreen, my other Gen III game, it has Battle Frontier, Contests, Gym Leader re-matches and quite a few legendary pokémon to capture. It also includes a lot of my favourite pokémon in the wild, even ones that I like but would never use.

Don't get me wrong, LeafGreen's good. It's just got a bit less to do once you defeat the Elite Four (although the Elite Four re-match does help a lot with training, and give you something to train for). It also has a lot of my favourite pokémon in it...but I always struggle for a team pre-Mt. Moon. Once I get there, I can get Nidoran, Clefairy...it just opens up a lot more and I'm happy.
    Whereas in Emerald, there's such variation before the first gym - you get Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Wurmple, Ralts, Seedot, Lotad, Wingull, Marill, Shroomish, Nincada...that's nine types just from the pokémon I can remember. In LeafGreen, including that one leading to the Indigo Plateau, you can get Rattata, Pidgey, Spearow, Mankey, Pikachu, Weedle / Caterpie and evolutions - 7 types in four areas.

So whilst I love both of them, Emerald is just so much better than LeafGreen, even removing the "it was my first game" factor. Although I may be biased - look at my theme :P

The Void

hiiiii
    Years

Emerald all the way. Partially because yes, it is the first game I had too, so there are happy memories, including the fact that I couldn't complete it until late 2006. And it's the only game where I've ever racked up 100+ hours on it. But also because unlike LeafGreen, my other Gen III game, it has Battle Frontier, Contests, Gym Leader re-matches and quite a few legendary pokémon to capture. It also includes a lot of my favourite pokémon in the wild, even ones that I like but would never use.

Don't get me wrong, LeafGreen's good. It's just got a bit less to do once you defeat the Elite Four (although the Elite Four re-match does help a lot with training, and give you something to train for). It also has a lot of my favourite pokémon in it...but I always struggle for a team pre-Mt. Moon. Once I get there, I can get Nidoran, Clefairy...it just opens up a lot more and I'm happy.
    Whereas in Emerald, there's such variation before the first gym - you get Poochyena, Zigzagoon, Wurmple, Ralts, Seedot, Lotad, Wingull, Marill, Shroomish, Nincada...that's nine types just from the pokémon I can remember. In LeafGreen, including that one leading to the Indigo Plateau, you can get Rattata, Pidgey, Spearow, Mankey, Pikachu, Weedle / Caterpie and evolutions - 7 types in four areas.

So whilst I love both of them, Emerald is just so much better than LeafGreen, even removing the "it was my first game" factor. Although I may be biased - look at my theme :P

Yeah, that's exactly how I can describe my FireRed.... ahhh good times, eh?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I hate FRLG with the burning intensity of 1000 suns. RS were great, but Emerald completely outclasses them. And besides, it'd be awful if I didn't vote for my favorite Pokemon game of all time here, right? Right. -votes for Emerald-

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    I'm definitely choosing Emerald. At first, I had so much fun with the Kanto remakes, they outshone RS for me at the moment. But Emerald swept me away once it came out- and for good reason, too. I was mostly impressed by the storyline of the game, and how much you had to do. The only thing I wish would have been included are stronger rival battles, and a stronger E4 upon rematch. Still, it's a great game and I play it often.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I'm choosing Emerald. It's my favorite pokemon game of all time and maybe favorite game of all time. The music was phenomenal, Hoeen is the most varied region of the pokemon games and the frankly amazing Battle Frontier makes me treasure this game.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    For me, Ruby and Sapphire is awesome. Emerald isn't particularly as good as Ruby and Sapphire as much, because what puts me down is that the feature that was removed on Ruby and Sapphire has been brought back in Emerald. That means you have to call the trainers in order to rematch. (Except in Secret Bases, but the thing is, you won't gain as much Poke Money from them). Emerald isn't too bad, just wasn't as good IMO. I hope that Match Call feature doesn't return in the remake.

As much as I like the Third Generation, the one thing I don't like about are is the remakes, but FR and LG isn't that bad. Kanto is nice. You can rematch trainers using the VS. Seeker which is convenient. The biggest upset from me is the music. Yeah, some music just doesn't sound as good as the original.

So Ruby and Sapphire takes my vote as my most favorite Third Generation game and Pokemon game of all time.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
    Oket first of all, LeafGreen and FireRed is gen I games not gen III. But i would pick LeafGreen cause that was really good times!

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

What? No they're not. How do you get Gen I games on GBA? FrLg are re-makes of Gen I, released in Gen III, therefore FireRed and LeafGreen are Generation III, Advance (GBA) generation games.

WishCookie

Years

What? No they're not. How do you get Gen I games on GBA? FrLg are re-makes of Gen I, released in Gen III, therefore FireRed and LeafGreen are Generation III, Advance (GBA) generation games.

Yes i know that but i was counting with the pokemons and storyline.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

They're still considered Gen III, otherwise this would be a pointless thread, as it's choosing between two almost identical games (R/S) and a slight improvement (E).

WishCookie

Years

They're still considered Gen III, otherwise this would be a pointless thread, as it's choosing between two almost identical games (R/S) and a slight improvement (E).

Yes i know. :S But still...

Years
    Probably Emerald, in my opinion. I liked FRLG, but RSE was far superior and since Emerald had new features that R/S didn't, Emerald comes out on top.

Ctrl.Alt.Geak

Swords Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    My vote goes to Emerald. While Ruby and Sapphire were good Emerald has a little bit more to do. I wasnt a huge fan or Fire Red or Leaf green. I prefer the original Red and Blue, probably because Red was my first game it brings back childhood memories. I love the 8-bit music and black and white graphics.

cbd98

A bouquet of oopsie dasies
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2021
    emerald for me. the only reason is the battle frontier. im so beast at that place. won the gold battle pike in two days and the gold tower in a day and a half. the other ones were harder though....

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Leaf Green. Mostly because of Leaf, as she's the best looking Pokemon game protagonist ever. Leaf Green also has innovations like the Vs Seeker and a much more engaging play experience than the Hoenn games. It gets the slight nod over Fire Red because of superior version exclusive Pokemon.

As much as I liked R/S/E when they first came out, they haven't aged well and their flaws have become much more noticeable to me... the annoying PokeNav, the endless water routes, the lack of a proper rival, etc. Some of the towns like Fortree, Pacifidlog, and Sootopolis are so weird that they seem like they were designed to be "different for the sake of being different" and just come off as weird and overdone.

Emerald really dropped the ball with poorer main character design, badly done Pokemon animations (Crystal had superior quality animations) and the one claim to fame, the Battle Frontier, is completely marred by hax CPU luck.

Let it be known that I've played through LG multiple times in the past couple years while I haven't played through R/S/E once since Diamond and Pearl came out. So yeah, Leaf says that Leaf Green is the best third gen game, and I really can't argue with that. So Leaf green it is.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
    Years
    Though, technically Emerald is better, I'm going to say I enjoyed Sapphire more. This was simply because Ruby and Sapphire completely cut you off from Gens I and II. They were essentially the first games in our "current" series, since as they are still, in a way, compatible with the 5th generation. For me, it was like playing Pokémon again for the first time.

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2011
    I'd have to say Emerald because, like PokeSwimmer said, it was like playing pokemon for the first time all over again, which is exactly how I felt.

Back