• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Porting Emerald's drums to FireRed

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    I am trying to port Emerald's complete drum kit to FireRed, which severely stripped the RS drumkit, and FireRed's native drumkit, frankly, is HORRIBLE. None of the drums match what they are in the MIDI and never work for anything. FireRed's drums are so bad I find myself almost always having to use noise for the drums in my custom songs.

I'm trying to transplant Emerald's drums with a hex editor, but it seems that drum samples are programmed differently than DirectSound samples, because when I copy and paste-write a gigantic block starting where the drums begin, it becomes screechy horribleness in FireRed, even when I copy so much I couldn't possibly be missing part of the drum sample. Can somebody please help me out? Alternatively, if there exists a patch which has already done this, I'd find that very useful, but I'd prefer to do it manually to prevent compatibility issues with my other modifications.

Hajima

Manga Artist 101
    Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2016
    I don't think it is possible since Pokemon Emerald and Pokemon Fire Red almost have completely different systems, like Emerald is more buggy than Fire Red, although I'm not exactly sure. But, I'm hoping that someone could give you a way how.

Exodrake

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    That doesn't matter. I'm using DirectSound samples from Fire Emblem games in my hack and they work just fine. I just don't understand why the drums won't cooperate. Maybe the samples are actually way bigger than what I'm selecting and I'm not getting it all? It did sound better when I copied 10k bytes versus ~5k bytes. I'll, for the sake of experimentation, copy something ridiculous, like 50k bytes, and see if that sounds any better. Could just be that drum samples are HUGE and I'm underestimating the sample size (hard to tell where the sample ends in a hex editor when it's just a sea of numbers).

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
  • Maybe the samples are actually way bigger than what I'm selecting and I'm not getting it all? It did sound better when I copied 10k bytes versus ~5k bytes.
    Did you remember to paste it into an aligned offset (ending in 0, 4, 8, or C)?
    And most drum samples are way smaller than 0x5000 bytes.

Exodrake

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    Did you remember to paste it into an aligned offset (ending in 0, 4, 8, or C)?
    And most drum samples are way smaller than 0x5000 bytes.
    Yes, the offset I pasted it to is aligned.

Back