• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Porygon- Pokemon or man-made creation?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Porygon is a rather interesting Pokemon... in the anime (in the banned episode) "Porygon the Electric Soldier" certainly doesn't treat Porygon as much of a living Pokemon at all. Being called "data" Pokemon, having the ability to travel in space and using rather an interesting item for evolution, should Porygon be treated as a Pokemon at all?

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    The game is a little unclear as to how Porygon is projected into the real world to battle other Pok?mon. It could be it's body is a mechanical shell, and the data is downloaded and uploaded from it, or it could be some method of harnessing the data's will.

Did I trigger this topic? o.o;

shiny_jiggly

Pu? (Clueless?)
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Pu?
    • Seen Apr 30, 2008
    Kairi said:
    The game is a little unclear as to how Porygon is projected into the real world to battle other Pok?mon. It could be it's body is a mechanical shell, and the data is downloaded and uploaded from it, or it could be some method of harnessing the data's will.
    Hehe.....reminds me of yugioh's card duels in the anime (card scans brings out monster holograms). Hey maybe Porygon outside in battle was meant to be a hologram of it's virtual self, but it still doesn't make much sense. I don't care much about it since Pokemon isn't real.
    After all all these are the result of someone's inspiration!

Porygon

Banned
    Years
    I'm thinking holograms, myself. I mean, considering the advanced technology in the series, it wouldn't surprise me. It should be treated like a Pok?mon, though, simply because? well, for instance, it has a number [137], can use attacks like any other Pok?mon, and? well, it is. Just because it's man?made, doesn't mean it can't be alive and be an official Pok?mon.

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
    It also has a rather bland type: normal. Which means it can be harmed by fighting attacks. Personally, I think that Porygon should have been Psychic (unless they made a digital type), it would make sense for a mysterious psychic force to hold the blocky body pieces together (in stadium, porygon falls apart when it loses).

And the thing about mewtwo... unlike Porygon, mewtwo is organic.

Porygon

Banned
    Years
    Actually, its being Normal allows it to be very versatile in its technique?learning abilities--if it was Psychic, for instance, it wouldn't make sense that it can learn such a wide range of technique types. That's what I like about the Normal element; its versatility.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    hey! a digital elemental type...that's a good idea...

I always thought of Porygon as kind of a digital duck (I mean, look at any of its sprites...it looks like a duck) I say that it was man-made (just like Magnemite and Voltorb probably were), but it still a fully equipped pok?mon ready to battle...

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    tmbjr said:
    hey! a digital elemental type...that's a good idea...

I always thought of Porygon as kind of a digital duck (I mean, look at any of its sprites...it looks like a duck) I say that it was man-made (just like Magnemite and Voltorb probably were), but it still a fully equipped pok?mon ready to battle...
    Porygon II looks like a toy duck to me.
    I really thought that it was one when I first saw it

Rift

Let's Venture Onward!
    Years
    In Stadium 2 Porygon 2 bobbs his head up and down like one of this toys that sucks water then comes back up!

shiny_jiggly

Pu? (Clueless?)
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Pu?
    • Seen Apr 30, 2008
    Porygon said:
    Actually, its being Normal allows it to be very versatile in its technique?learning abilities--if it was Psychic, for instance, it wouldn't make sense that it can learn such a wide range of technique types. That's what I like about the Normal element; its versatility.
    Indeed, and Chanseys and Jigglypuffs learning Psychic is cool. The only problem about normal types is their defense.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Snorlax come to mind when I think of high-defense normal types...

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    tmbjr said:
    Snorlax come to mind when I think of high-defense normal types...

Snorlax has high Special Defense but very poor Defense. It's Curse+high HP and Rest that makes it horrid to fight.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    normal types tend to have a higher special defense compare to their normal defense. It's their ability to learn so much variations of buffing attacks such as curse and amnesia that makes up for their lack of defense...

In almost all situation (special situations are when stat upers are used beforehand), a normal type shouldn't go up against a fighting Pokemon if both pokemon has full hp. Even with psychic it's hard to take down fighting types for normal types. Even for the almight snorlax things will be very hard for it against a fighting type if it hasn't been cursed up yet.

Back