• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TV Powerpuff Girls goes Live-action!

Years
    The latest show to join the transtion from cheesy Cartoon Network cartoon to "10 years later..." the Powerpuff Girls' finally finds its director!

Maggie Kiley (also known for episodes of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Riverdale) will be helming the pilot.

Thoughts on how this could go? I'm expecting it will be very polarised - either an amazing adult rendition of the beloved show or... well an absolute flop, capturing none of the original essence and being another generic teen/adult drama.

More info here!

Years
    She only directed a couple of eps of CAOS as far as I'm aware, but both of those were in the incredible first season :)

I love PPG. I hate live action remakes. However, I won't jump on the negativity bandwagon that everyone else has, I'll wait and see.

I put off watching CAOS because of all the negativity surrounding it, and it was an awesome re-imagining, so I will give this a chance, it could be absolutely spectacular! ... or it could crash and burn!

Years
    +1 on hating live-action remakes. and heck, in general how many times has PPG been rebooted? we got the anime versions, 2 modern remakes from the 2010s that both flopped, and now this? i don't get why they keep feeling the need to revive such a classic show.

oh what's that? money?

yeah i'm pretty sure it's bcs of money.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    Everything I've heard about this makes me want to vomit

I'll be avoiding it like the plague. Hopefully it'll get canceled after 1 ep if we're lucky or one season at worst.

Years
    Everything I've heard about this makes me want to vomit

I'll be avoiding it like the plague. Hopefully it'll get canceled after 1 ep if we're lucky or one season at worst.

I'm intrigued, what exactly about anything released so far is warranting such a strong reaction? Like, I think it has potential to swing in a bad direction sure, but the idea of an angtsy trio affected in a much worse way than is depicted in the original cartoon sounds like it can go well!

That said - it looks like our three ladies have been cast, go check them out!

Years
    I think they look the part tbh! I seriously worry about their ages though. I hope this cast are playing all grown up 25-30 yo PPG. We don't need another "28 yo unconvincingly playing teen" style show.

pkmin3033

Oh dear GOD Chloe Bennett as Blossom this is going to be an absolute shitshow.

I've yet to see a live action adaptation of pretty much anything done right (or at least as good/better than the original) but...eh, there's a first time for everything I guess? I expect this will have the novelty factor of being so bad it's funny/good if nothing else.

Years
    Reading up on it, what they're going for actually sounds pretty interesting conceptually. This is one of those things that could be weirdly amazing if the stars align correctly or whatever. But I feel like realistically, this will be average at best and a shitshow at worst. I'm willing to give it a chance perhaps, although it's not going to be too high on my list of things to watch anyway since I didn't grow up watching the show much.

Hope for the best, expect the worst, I suppose.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I wish people would stop remaking classics into live-action, like just stop immediately. I was very critical of the Death Note when that came out. I'll definitely give it a shot when it comes out just because I loved the Powerpuff Girls growing up.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I'm one of those "the classics are better" -type and I am not liking how Powerpuff Girls are getting rebooted so much. The classics are magical for me and the live-action is kinda killing it for me. :(

like, leave it alone, man.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I think it can work, even if I don't think it's likely to work.

Like, Riverdale is a hot mess but most people like it because it's a hot mess so there's that. Sabrina is OK ish?

Like I enjoyed the first season but I thought the second season was just ugggh, and in many ways, Sabrina was the perfect show for a gritty reboot.

There's also the fact that Umbrella Academy has pretty much the same concept and was executed pretty well in its two seasons, so, they already have stiff competition for the "traumatized child heroes" angle alone.

Still, I think the concept has a chance of working out, and I do admit I have some morbid curiosity on how they'll tackle HIM and Princess Morbucks.

The former because HIM's blatantly queer coded and that isn't really cool nowadays anymore, so if they're trying to go for a grown up dark reboot they'll probably need to address that in some way.

And Pricess Morbucks because her very presence creates an obvious conclusion to critique (capitalism is bad) and, when taken outside of a Saturday Morning Cartoon point of view, creates unsettling logical conclusions like "this world has tech powerful enough to create superpowers to the highest bidder".

I'm also curious on how they'll deal with the other villains like Fuzzy Lumpkins, the Gangrene Gang or the Amoebas since you know, a live action TV show doesn't really have a decent enough CGI budget to have them show up looking good. But they're somewhat less iconic than HIM and Princess so it's easier to sweep them under the rug.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    So the pilot is being reworked and re-shot and now it's significantly delayed

Yep. This bodes really well. I swear. It does.

I want to see yall put a positive spin on this.

You can't?

Yeah that's what I thought 🙃

Years
    So the pilot is being reworked and re-shot and now it's significantly delayed

Yep. This bodes really well. I swear. It does.

I want to see yall put a positive spin on this.

You can't?

Yeah that's what I thought 🙃

Not really sure why this combative tone on a post?

With regards to the re-writing of it all... well the leaks speak for themselves, they've definitely gone OVERBOARD with the whole drastic image change for the characters. Like honestly, I was pretty excited to see what they do and then this comes out and it's kinda terrifying that nearly became the show!!!!

So here's to hoping that actually we won't get a complete dumpster fire of a show, now they've seen the initial reaction to some content. Content which I fear is the more tamer side of what would've been in the show...

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    So far, everything about it looks horrible. I really don't like the cheesy "they regret their childhood as superheroes, waaah" aspect of it, either. Sounds like a bad fanfiction (and I read a lot of fanfiction). The Powerpuff Girls loved their lives as crime fighters so it feels like an aspect of their characters has completely changed. Doubt they'll be able to handle the change with any grace. Live action remakes are generally pretty horrible anyway. Not even gonna waste my time on it.

Back