• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Professor Kukui and Hala (?)

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
  • So what are your thoughts on the new professor. This one is unfortunately not named after a palm tree, but his name is Kukui which is the Hawaiian name for a Candlenut tree.

EDIT: Originally thought that he literally meant that he was cousins with the player character, but this is possibly how they would call everyone (like in some places calling everyone brother and sister)

LBP4fZD.png

The other man who throws the Pokemon balls with the starters within the trailer is called Hala which is also a tree in Hawaii (that produces pineapple like fruit). Seems the possibility of Hala may be an older professor watching over Kukui?

NCzQZoe.png

wEc0g0g.png

Last edited:
    Years
  • Kukui? Didn't expect that name but one thing I am noticing different with the new professor is that he's a person of colour and we've never had a dark-skinned professor in Pokemon yet, and I think that's because Hawaii does have a good presence of dark-skinned people so it's all part of Game Freak's attention to detail approach with this region.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't think he's actually the professor. What about the overweight really relaxed guy?? He released the mons after all! Or maybe he's the assistant. This region's got me crazy. HOWEVER, I don't think he meant cousin as in actual cousin, I think it was just a figure of speech because that's what you say like, hey bro welcome to the region. Dunno that's how I took it.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I don't think he's actually the professor. What about the overweight really relaxed guy?? He released the mons after all! Or maybe he's the assistant. This region's got me crazy. HOWEVER, I don't think he meant cousin as in actual cousin, I think it was just a figure of speech because that's what you say like, hey bro welcome to the region. Dunno that's how I took it.

LBP4fZD.png

Yes! I was thinking about this as well. I considered the older guy being the professor as well since he had the starters, but looked at the first guy because tree name + coat. Although then again he doesn't have Professor at the start of his name ?

And I hadn't thought of that! I wouldn't be surprised if they referred to each other by cousins or brothers within the region.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    I don't think he's actually the professor. What about the overweight really relaxed guy?? He released the mons after all! Or maybe he's the assistant. This region's got me crazy. HOWEVER, I don't think he meant cousin as in actual cousin, I think it was just a figure of speech because that's what you say like, hey bro welcome to the region. Dunno that's how I took it.

Nah, cousin is something I have never heard anyone use as a figure of speech, cousinship doesn't have same affection tied to it as brotherhood.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2016
    I'm sorry but Sycamore's good looks has nothing on Kukui's abs.
    dat man bun tho

Seriously though, I was also thinking the younger guy was the professor rather than the older one - thought he was more of a village elder or something who possibly looked after the starters.

Kukui looks more of the professor-ish type guy, very much into the research with his lab coat and all. Although older guy could have also been a professor and maybe Kukui is related and also is a professor... not sure.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Nah, cousin is something I have never heard anyone use as a figure of speech, cousinship doesn't have same affection tied to it as brotherhood.
    In English it doesn't, but I have heard spanish speakers refer to each other as "primo (yeah, usually between males)" when they're not related. Maybe in the native Hawaiian language they use cousin, but it's lost when said in other languages.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • Maybe you move to Alola from another region (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn or Sinnoh), as the Kukui did say "welcome to paradise". Maybe there's two professors and it's possible they might be together, who knows, Hawaii is pretty gay-friendly, but it's only a small chance that those two men are in a relationship together...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Nah, cousin is something I have never heard anyone use as a figure of speech, cousinship doesn't have same affection tied to it as brotherhood.

I dunno that's just the first vibe I got when I saw it, but we'll have to wait and see.

Agreed! :p

Likewise! Can't wait to play this game wearing my aloha shirts xD

Thats cool. I love the clothing, too!

But he's shirtless! That's so creepy though. A possible professor is SHIRTLESS just hanging around greeting new trainers. I hope he's not this carefree when he has to save the world.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    But he's shirtless! That's so creepy though. A possible professor is SHIRTLESS just hanging around greeting new trainers. I hope he's not this carefree when he has to save the world.

I was thinking more of the older guy's style ;) This quote actually made me chuckle, it would be hilarious to see him running around like this during a time of crisis xD

Not to mention, his initial appearance might have an effect on some newbie trainers...
    Spoiler:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • The guy who gives us the pokemon is Hala according to Serebii, which is also a tree. The big guy might be the last professor and is just overlooking Kukui.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Nah, cousin is something I have never heard anyone use as a figure of speech, cousinship doesn't have same affection tied to it as brotherhood.

Well, it is in Hawaii, so I'm sure that's how it's meant when Kukui uses it.

Kukui would be an interesting professor, anyways, but I suppose it could also be the older guy. Maybe they're father/son, á la Cedric and Aurea Juniper? Then they could both be Kukui.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Kukui is apparently the state tree for Hawaii, so he is probably the main professor. I am still thinking Hala, the older guy, is also a professor or a past professor. Hala is also a tree name as I said.

Years
    • Seen Jun 18, 2016
    I don't find him being shirtless creepy though? I just saw it as natural as if he were a surfer dude and a professor? To me it seem to fit in as normal as a Hawaiian professor especially with the hot weather there and everyone being chill locals.

Feels similar to pacific islanders in certain countries where everyone is okay to see shirtless guys talking with everyone including kids.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
  • As far as I figured, being that Hala and Kukui are both trees, but only Kukui is wearing the coat, I have this really strong feeling Kukui is the apprentice of Hala and is NOW the main professor, while Hala was a past professor, some time before the protagonist set foot in Alola.
    And about that "cousin" thing, I have heard of hawaiiansa referring to people as brother or cousin, so that's my bet anyway.

Back