• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Professor Kukui and Hala (?)

EpicMewtwo

Trainer
Years
  • Not gonna lie, this has been really bugging me. I want to know the connection between Kukui and Hala to you. And how they're connected to each other. I think that the two Professors are family, with Kukui playing a larger role thought the game then Hala. Maybe they're like Professor Juniper and her dad from Black White.

Years
  • And how they're connected to each other. I think that the two Professors are family, with Kukui playing a larger role thought the game then Hala. Maybe they're like Professor Juniper and her dad from Black White.

Kukui is the younger one so I could imagine him being the real Professor, and Hala seems like his parent or grandparent that's working as the assistant. I had actually found a lot of connections to Unova based on what I've seen so far, so it would add to those connections if we have two Professors that are family again.

EpicMewtwo

Trainer
    Years
  • Kukui is the younger one so I could imagine him being the real Professor, and Hala seems like his parent or grandparent that's working as the assistant. I had actually found a lot of connections to Unova based on what I've seen so far, so it would add to those connections if we have two Professors that are family again.

I could see that. I've seen a few connections to Unova, but not many. What else have you found?

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • Definitely betting Prof. Abs is a less experienced professor, in training, or an assistant. The other possibility is that Hala is a veteran Professor and he's visiting Kukui to offer his own starters for new trainers. Just because Kukui may be the main regional professor doesn't mean he's the one sending trainers on a specific quest; Hala may be the one asking trainers to fill a new Pokedex or investigate something, etc.

Also, like others, most media I've seen taking place in Hawaii or with Hawaiian characters use "cousin" quite often. So do Spanish speakers with "primo." And it might be an age thing, but we used to call everyone "cuz" before "bro" took over.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2018
    Nah, cousin is something I have never heard anyone use as a figure of speech, cousinship doesn't have same affection tied to it as brotherhood.

People actually use cousin in that exact context a lot...

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2022
    I thought that the professor of the region was the old man with the yellow t shirt...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2016
    Opinion on Alola's Pokemon Professor?

Years
  • We don't have any concrete information on if he or Hala is the main professor. But what is awesome is that they're the first dark-skinned professors and that shows Game Freak really are being more inclusive when it comes to Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2016
    It's seems my post removed because someone already post about Professor Kukui. My bad.

Worldrush

Worldrush
    Years
  • I wonder with this game if the Professors will play a larger part in the story than the previous games. I would love to see a twist where maybe the Champion is really the Processor, or maybe One professor is really a bad guy pretending to have been helping you all this time. Just something to really shake up the story, make it exciting.

SinnohBorn

Andrew
    Years
  • Well they have to be doing something special... So my input on this is simple. One of them (Hala) Gives you the starters, and you may get to pick any pokemon from Kukui. Simple, but not bad idea in my opinion!

Years
  • I expected Kukui would be the actual Professor since he had the white lab coat. But again, there was no info on Hala so we don't know what his role alongside Kukui will be other than just giving you Rowlet, Litten or Popplio.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I also thought Kukui being the main professor. Especially when the Kukui tree is the state tree for Hawaii. I still think Hala is a retired professor and Kukui took his place.

But I have not actually seen the old man called Hala. Serebii said his name was Hala, but I have yet to see it in the trailers. But Hala is also a Hawaiian tree.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I also thought Kukui being the main professor. Especially when the Kukui tree is the state tree for Hawaii. I still think Hala is a retired professor and Kukui took his place.

But I have not actually seen the old man called Hala. Serebii said his name was Hala, but I have yet to see it in the trailers. But Hala is also a Hawaiian tree.

He's the guy in the starter reveal trailer who sends out the starters most likely.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I know that, but his name is never shown. At least not that I can recall. But Serebii said the person who gives us the pokemon is Hala. So I am wondering where Serebii learned the name of the old guy from.

The English site doesn't have him listed as a character.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I know that, but his name is never shown. At least not that I can recall. But Serebii said the person who gives us the pokemon is Hala. So I am wondering where Serebii learned the name of the old guy from.

The English site doesn't have him listed as a character.

Kukui and Hala I think were mentioned in the Japanese site or some other Japanese source.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Actually in a video footage you were able to see Hala speaking with his name showing up in the box.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Oh ok. I don't remember seeing that. It may have just been a split second. I may have to rewatch the videos. Thanks for that.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    They're making it really obvious he's married in that official character art. Looks like it's not a Mega Ring, either, just a simple band. Even Elm isn't wearing a wedding ring in his art, despite the fact that his wife and child live just due south of his lab. So I wonder if Kukui's spouse will be a prominent character?

Back