• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pros and Cons Discussion Thread

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    I didn't like how they made you wait until the nibasa to start breeding, then you had to peddle all the way back, it was just a pain, added nothing to the game. Of course, there's plenty bigger disappointments but that's whats on my mind right now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2023
    hmm. The names kinda.. Like seriously i perfer older generations. Don't like D.S games anymore cause they screwed up the series

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Well first..its kinda obvious that the people developing the new pokemon are running out of ideas. I mean really theyve made ice cream and even trashbag pokemon. I hope they actually think of something original next time before they just start thinking up such random and ridiculous crap as Trubbish and Vanniluxe. But I can forgive them now that the battles are more animated and flamethrowers wont come from Charizard's chest now. What are your B&W disappointment(s)?
    In all fairness not all pokemon were original from the beginning. rattata is just a mouse, hoothoot is just an owl... and look, there is a sludge pokemon already! (Grimer & Muk)

But still, I do see where you're coming from... nothing ever looks "original" at first when you are already used to pre-existing pokemon, and newer ones come out and there are some that look distinctively "unoriginal," but you just have to think over it some more.

Anyways, to answer your original question, I would say my biggest disappointment is post-game. Even if you unlock the remaining 1/4th or 1/3rd of the whole unova region, there really is nothing more of interest. Black city & White forest can be boring after you use it for just minutes or at most an hour (considerably less if you don't use an entralink), and there is not much more minigames that you can play, such as contests, pokeathlon, etc.

Years
    Add me to the disappointed in the post game list. With the diamond and pearl a whole other region became aviailable, along with numerous sidequests, minigames etc.

Gold and Silver was the best....

Years
    The only con of the game is that they removed whatever people in this thread are complaining about. Not because they were removed, but because the sheer amount of people complaining about such miniscule lost content instead of appreciating what has been improved and the actual new content really gets to me after a while. Instead of "Oh, VS Seeker is gone. Well, better look for this game's new way to grind for experience", it's "BAW VS SEEKER GONE SCREW YOU TROLL FREAK". People have gotten too comfortable with the way the previous installments of the series have been "building up", that when they took some of it away, a lot complain. More content != Good. Do you people honestly want Super Contests back?

tl;dr: Biggest con of Black and White is "Everything before was better" fanboys and girls.

Also, Black and White fanboy. My arguments are null.

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
    There are NO cons to the game for me this has to be the best Pokemon game they have ever made! If it can even be called a con I was sad when N left at the end and you couldn't revisit the castle...but that is probably for the best :,3

Castles, amazing new Pokemon, graphics, best music, amazing characters (N, Clay, Lenora, Black/White, Cheren), amazing story line.

Someone mentioned that Gamefreak was running out of ideas making the ice-cream Pokemon and the trash bag Pokemon but I think that they are brilliant! I'm glad that they are being vast in their creativeness.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The only con of the game is that they removed whatever people in this thread are complaining about. Not because they were removed, but because the sheer amount of people complaining about such miniscule lost content instead of appreciating what has been improved and the actual new content really gets to me after a while. Instead of "Oh, VS Seeker is gone. Well, better look for this game's new way to grind for experience", it's "BAW VS SEEKER GONE SCREW YOU TROLL FREAK". People have gotten too comfortable with the way the previous installments of the series have been "building up", that when they took some of it away, a lot complain. More content != Good. Do you people honestly want Super Contests back?

tl;dr: Biggest con of Black and White is "Everything before was better" fanboys and girls.

Also, Black and White fanboy. My arguments are null.

Please enlighten me why removing non-obtrusive (and even the directly counter-obtrusive) gameplay enhancements is a good thing. When creating a video game, there is not a "useful features" limit that means you have to remove previous things to fit new ones in. It's natural to be annoyed when a developer chooses to take things out that served to make the game more enjoyable to play (a lot of which would probably be pretty damn simple to implement considering you still have the code, and you're making a game for the same console as before), and it's not unreasonable to think that a game from 2010 would do things better than one from 2006 instead of the opposite.

Last edited:
    Years
    Because not removing them would just make the game an exact same experience of the previous installment. Maybe it's because I haven't played many video games, but I cannot think of a single video game series where a sequel had the exact same features as the previous. It helps to create variety so that while you are playing the same video game over and over again, in actuality you aren't. If a video game is just going to keep on adding content on top of content on top of content, why not just release expansion packs instead of creating another whole game?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    I am talking about things that do nothing but make the game better - things that could hardly be called Gameplay Features, just straight up improvements.

Take Breeding for example:

DP: Using Pokétch applications you can check if the Pokémon you deposited at the Daycare have produced an egg or not, while you can also quickly check the breeding compatibility of two Pokémon without having to put them in together and check what the different responses from the Old Man means.

HG/SS: The Old Man phones you every time you get an egg, regardless of where you are. No quick compatiblity checking, though.

BW: Unless you constantly bike back and forth along Route 3, you have to go back to the Daycare whenever you want to see if you have a new egg.

The code is clearly already there, that's pretty inexcusable.

Years
    Unless you constantly bike back and forth along Route 3, you have to go back to the Daycare whenever you want to see if you have a new egg.
    If you are going to be hatching eggs en masse, wouldn't that be what you're doing most of the time though? The BW Day Care man stops you right in your tracks so that he can give you the egg. Route 3 does have a nice stretch of land to bike in too, so it's pretty efficient to me. Compare to having to touch the screen constantly in D/P/Pt while holding the D-Pad buttons to bike around. They almost got it right with HG/SS where he would call you to stop you in your tracks so that he would tell you about an egg, but the calls go on for longer than they need to be (*ring ring ring ring* "You have an egg" or whatever he says *Click buzz buzz buzz*) and I felt that the calls were unreliable most of the time (Day Care Man is facing left indicating an egg, but no call prior). I just stuck to seeing if he faced left most of the time and disabled calls.

Just because it's new and different doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a chance. Try to adapt to the new system. The fact that BW has such a precedent to be compared to is another con.

Years
    The only thing I hate in Black and White is probably how they took out some Pokemon's Egg Moves and TMs, such as Stealth Rock and Roost making it harder to build teams, other than that whatev.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    If you are going to be hatching eggs en masse...

Now you're trying to make an excuse which ignores the player who wants to do something else when they're playing the game. If you're going to be breeding a lot you may also be likely to be EV training or running through the Battle Subway to obtain things, actions which while they take a bit of time, don't take so long that the player can't check their eggs while they're in the middle of it to fly back and pick it up. They could also be using other places like the Skyarrow Bridge to hatch eggs, which has a much longer stretch of land that can be traversed just by holding a direction button - or running around the Gear Station in a endless loop. There's also the casual player who might want to breed a Pokémon for some reason but doesn't want to keep checking the Daycare when they didn't have to in the past two games.

There was a convenience the last games, and it was removed for no reason because Game Freak have shown a ridiculously single-minded approach to menu design in the past few years. HG/SS have a well designed touch-screen menu on the bottom screen (including the auto-run button and the interact button) but discarded all the useful functions of the Pokétch in making it. Following on from that, B/W introduce the C-Gear communications tool but make it fill the entire screen with wasted space, with the menu becoming less functional and requiring a button press to switch to.

Years
    I'm not going to argue "what if"s. I've already done too much of that in my life, so you know what? You're right. It does suck that they removed all that stuff. Now, let's try to look at the positive side instead of constantly nitpicking the negatives.

A.K.A. PROS time.

Con: Instant notification of a new egg FROM ANYWHERE is gone. Have to be on Route 3 to get notifications of eggs.
    Pro: Instant notification of a new egg in a much speedier fashion if on Route 3.

Cons: Removal of Poketch and Touch Menu. No more auto-run. No more calculator, pedometer, memo pad, IMMEDIATE dowsing machine, IMMEDIATE friendship checking, knowing what Pokemon you have in the Day Care IMMEDIATELY, history of last Pokemon obtained, counter, analog watch, marking map, coin flip, type matchups, calender, dot artist, kitchen timer, color changer, and IMMEDIATE compatibility checking from the touch screen.
    Pros: Addition of C-Gear. Time is always displayed. Ability to fix wi-fi settings/trade/battle/exchange friend codes locally without having to be in a Pokemon Center. Pass Powers. Being able to hit the X button to return immediately to the overworld without having to backtrack through menus. Y button can now be registered to more than just Key Items. Dowsing Machine no longer requires touching of the screen.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Pros: Addition of C-Gear. Time is always displayed. Ability to fix wi-fi settings/trade/battle/exchange friend codes locally without having to be in a Pokemon Center. Pass Powers. Being able to hit the X button to return immediately to the overworld without having to backtrack through menus. Y button can now be registered to more than just Key Items. Dowsing Machine no longer requires touching of the screen.

I love the time being displayed! I remember when the power was out the other day, I was playing it just to countdown til when the power would be back on, lol. :x And being able to customise it ftw - cause Munna skin is pretty ^_____^

And I love the Y button too, so damn useful.

Back