• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question about programming and languages for ROM Hacking

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2020
    I don't know if this is a dumb question, but I want to make a ROM Hack, or something similar, using C++. I don't have to use C++ for the entire game, but I want to know if it's possible to code event and plot scripts/items/game mechanics, using C++. If so, how do I go about it? I'd appreciate as detailed answers as possible, and to know if it's worth it. Thanks!

Years
  • Didn't you already ask this question in the Game Development Forum. Then why are you asking this again here?

I don't know if this is a dumb question, but I want to make a ROM Hack, or something similar, using C++. I don't have to use C++ for the entire game, but I want to know if it's possible to code event and plot scripts/items/game mechanics, using C++. If so, how do I go about it? I'd appreciate as detailed answers as possible, and to know if it's worth it. Thanks!

And why are you asking again after you got an answer?

The Pokémon Fire Red/Emerald decomps are mostly written in C and can be used to edit and program the game, which I'm guessing would allow you to write new mechanics.

The Rom Hacking subforum is more appropriate for questions on this subject and will probably be more helpful. You could request for the post to be moved there.

C and C++ are similar, in the sense that C doesn't support OOP but C++ does. They do have similar syntaxes but alot is added into C++ which isn't there in C. I don't have alot of experience in C but I can assure you that a quick Google Search can fill you in in the details about the differences in C and C++.

Boonzeet

Pokémon Secrets of the Ages Developer
    Years
  • C and C++ are similar, in the sense that C doesn't support OOP but C++ does. They do have similar syntaxes but alot is added into C++ which isn't there in C. I don't have alot of experience in C but I can assure you that a quick Google Search can fill you in in the details about the differences in C and C++.

I'm a professional software dev who programs in C#, C++ and a few other languages, be a little less condescending.

If you can program in C++, you can learn to program in C quickly. I never stated in my comment that he could write C++ code in the C decomps.

Last edited:
    Years
  • If you can program in C++, you can learn to program in C quickly. I never stated in my comment that he could write C++ code in the C decomps.
    Neither did I.
    C and C++ are similar, in the sense that C doesn't support OOP but C++ does. They do have similar syntaxes but alot is added into C++ which isn't there in C

EDIT: I see what the problem may be. The 2nd part of my comment was actually directed towards RougeNin7x not you Bonzeet. Sorry if I came off as condescending.

Last edited:
    Back