• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quick Question and Answer Thread / Breeding Questions

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! :D What about the bell thing that you can let them hold?
    I feel like I'm asking too many questions. :P

The Soothe Bell is located in the Pokemon Mansion in Diamond & Pearl, I believe. In Platinum, it should be given to you naturally as you progress through the story.

No problem at all. That is what the thread is here for, after all.

Honest Eyes

If A Girl Wants To Dance...
    Years
  • I'm on the city with the first gym, I'm guessing that it is a litte further into the game?

Rain On Dem Foez

I make it rain
    Years
    • Age 38
    • L.A
    • Seen Jun 2, 2009
    you can get the Soothe Bell after you guide Cheryl out of the Eterna Forest, or in the Pokemon mansion, second room to your left ;)

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I'm on the city with the first gym, I'm guessing that it is a litte further into the game?

Eterna City is where the second Gym is, so yes.

Sorry, I misunderstood what you were talking about for a moment. Yes, the Pokemon Mansion is a bit later in the game, about where you reach the fifth Gym. Eterna Forest, on the other hand--thank you for the reminder, Rain On Dem Foez--is shortly before the second Gym.

Honest Eyes

Years
  • Oh good! I'm playing in platinum so I'll be able to get it soon. I really want my Golbat to evolve soon. Any other tips to make it happier faster?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Oh good! I'm playing in platinum so I'll be able to get it soon. I really want my Golbat to evolve soon. Any other tips to make it happier faster?

Just give it a Soothe Bell, keep it in your party, feed it a lot of vitamins, and give it many of the appropriate berries. There is nothing really special beyond that.

...If it helps, as long as either your Golbat does not have more than 100 Effort Values in that stat or you do not care about EVs, you can alternate between a vitamin and a berry that both affect the same stat without having any other effect on it. The increase from the vitamin and decrease from the berry essentially cancel each other out.

Honest Eyes

Years
  • Yeah I'm not really into all that stat stuff. I just missed out on having a crobat in my gold version so I really want one now.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
  • Just give it a Soothe Bell, keep it in your party, feed it a lot of vitamins, and give it many of the appropriate berries. There is nothing really special beyond that.

...If it helps, as long as either your Golbat does not have more than 100 Effort Values in that stat or you do not care about EVs, you can alternate between a vitamin and a berry that both affect the same stat without having any other effect on it. The increase from the vitamin and decrease from the berry essentially cancel each other out.
    She's honestly too early in the game for those berries or vitamins.

A good trick for that point in the game with the Soothe Bell is to just bike up and down the Cycling Road after Eterna City while doing something else. Every 256 steps is a happiness increase, and the Soothe Bell helps.

It should be close to happiness just from leveling by the time it evolves into Golbat, if you caught it early on and haven't let it faint too much. I've done several playthroughs where my Zubat evolved into Golbat and evolved into Crobat the next level.

Honest Eyes

Years
  • Awesome thanks so much shadow! I had no idea that happiness increased just buy walking around. I'm really looking forward to it now.

Fed

Battling on Wi-Fi.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2010
    Battle Frontier Help

I'd like to know which Pokemon were best suited for each facility.

Ive gotten the black and white stamp from the Arcade, Tower, and Castle. The Factory is obviously random so no help needed there, but the Hall is really difficult, and I can't get very far in the Arcade after 4~5 streaks. I haven't tried the Castle or Tower after getting the black and white stamp, but I would like tips on it.

Please, help me! Thanks!

PokéMartin

The Lonesome Drifter
    Years
  • Someone told me that having a pokemon with the ability 'Flame Body' in your party will reduce the amount of steps it takes to hatch an egg. Is this true???

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Correct. The Magmar evolution line or Slugma/Magcargo are recommended as the Magmar line can only have the Flame Body ability, and Slugma/Magcargo's only other ability possible to have is Magma Armor.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2009
    Pokémon versions-need help!

Hello!

I'm new to Pokémon. Picked up Platinum this week to see what all the fuss was about and now I'm hooked. The thing is, now I want 'em all! So I need help to figure out which versions of the game I need to buy, because I know there are remakes and such. So can someone please explain to me what the different versions are, and which I need to get to complete my Pokédex?

Thanks in advance,

Johann

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    If you want to catch every Pokémon by buying all the games needed, don't bother. You'll have to spend a lot of money. I'd recommend trading for the ones you can't get on Platinum over Wi-Fi instead.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2009
    So someone can give me a Pokémon he has from a previous game? Neat.

Thanks!

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Yeah, if you have a GBA version, you can migrate Pokémon onto Diamond, Pearl or Platinum, then trade them over Wi-Fi.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2011
    Hello!

I'm new to Pokémon. Picked up Platinum this week to see what all the fuss was about and now I'm hooked. The thing is, now I want 'em all! So I need help to figure out which versions of the game I need to buy, because I know there are remakes and such. So can someone please explain to me what the different versions are, and which I need to get to complete my Pokédex?

Thanks in advance,

Johann

Versions:
    Generation 1: (Game Boy)
    Pokémon Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow

Generation 2: (Game Boy Color)
    Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal

Generation 3: (Game Boy Advance)
    Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, Leaf Green, and Emerald

Generation 4: (Nintendo DS)
    Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum

All of Generation 1 takes place in Kanto. The starters are Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle. The only exception is Yellow in which you get Pikachu as a starter.

Generation 2 takes place in Johto, as well as Kanto. The starters are Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile.

Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald take place in Hoenn. The starters are Mudkip, Treecko, and Torchic.

Fire Red and Leaf Green are remakes of Red, and Blue.

Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum take place in Sinnoh. The starters are Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup.

The only way you're going to be able to catch all the starters is by trading (the only way to trade Pokémon from the games that were on the Game Boy to Nintendo DS is by using Pal Park). If you really want to complete the National Dex, I would recommend buying a game for each region.

If you're interested, there are also Pokémon games that are not RPG's. All of them released to date are:

Nintendo 64
    • Stadium (Japan only)
    • Snap (Japan only)
    • Puzzle League
    • Stadium 2 (known simply as Stadium in US and Europe)
    • Stadium Kin Gin (known simply as Stadium 2 in US and Europe)

Nintendo GameCube
    • Colosseum
    • Box: Ruby and Sapphire
    • XD: Gale of Darkness

Nintendo DS
    • Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
    • Dash
    • Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team
    • Ranger
    • Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
    • Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness
    • Ranger: Shadows of Almia
    • Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky

Wii
    • Battle Revolution
    • My Pokémon Ranch

Last edited:

dark charmander

Gaara...
    Years
  • help with veilstone gym(platinum)

i need help on how to get 2 the gym leader in veilstone in platinum can somone please help me cause ive been trying for ages >.<

sorry if there is already a thread about this if there is go ahead and delete this

Back