• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Yeah, I know everything. jk :D
    Please expand, for which HM are you trying to remove the animation for?

All of them except dig and teleport. This is for Emerald btw.

Last edited:

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
    Years
  • I inserted a new encounter music (via the extended encounter ASM). When a trainer comes up to me, the encounter music plays perfectly but the map music still plays in the background. Why does this happen?

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I inserted Dedenne in to my hack of fire red but I can't find it in Advanced map to make it show up in the wild. How do I fix this?

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Is it okay to use AdvanceMap 1.92's feature to add new maps to map banks or could that cause unforeseen corruption?

Really with A-Map there are no guarantees, I would backup your ROM, and try it. Just make sure that you do NOT let A-Map find its own offsets.

I inserted Dedenne in to my hack of fire red but I can't find it in Advanced map to make it show up in the wild. How do I fix this?

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8271873#post8271873
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8278234#post8278234
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8274572&postcount=498

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    I am trying to make a-map show gen IV-VI Pokemon but after I changed 9C 01 at D027C to 08 70 when I try to open my fire red 870 rom in it a-map won't respond. It does the same thing for a clean emerald rom. How do I fix this?

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I am trying to make a-map show gen IV-VI Pokemon but after I changed 9C 01 at D027C to 08 70 when I try to open my fire red 870 rom in it a-map won't respond. It does the same thing for a clean emerald rom. How do I fix this?
    "08 70" isn't correct, you need to add +26 to your number to account for the empty slots between 251 - 277, convert that number to hex then reverse it. In your case it should be 0896 which is 0380 in hex. You then split that up into two and reverse it like this:

03 80
    80 03

Also you realise there's a lot more to expanding Pokemon than making them show up in A-map, right? Here's a link to the full tutorial.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    "08 70" isn't correct, you need to add +26 to your number to account for the empty slots between 251 - 277, convert that number to hex then reverse it. In your case it should be 0896 which is 0380 in hex. You then split that up into two and reverse it like this:

03 80
    80 03

Also you realise there's a lot more to expanding Pokemon than making them show up in A-map, right? Here's a link to the full tutorial.

I know but I wanted to see how the sprite worked for dedenne in a wild encounter.

Edit: And thanks!

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Is it okay to use AdvanceMap 1.92's feature to add new maps to map banks or could that cause unforeseen corruption?

Really with A-Map there are no guarantees, I would backup your ROM, and try it. Just make sure that you do NOT let A-Map find its own offsets.

Yeah, it's safe to add your own maps. Just make sure to do as Joexv recommended. Go to Settings and uncheck Automatically look for offsets. If you're hacking FR, offsets you find and use should be fine but if it's EM I'd change the .ini to have:

"SuchByte=$FF
    SuchBeginn=$9C0000"

and let it search from offsets from there. Anything past that should be fine. I haven't had any problems. Though I also usually add my maps using 1.95

Hi, I'm new to rom hacking and I was just wondering:

Is there a way to change the IVs and EVs of other trainer's pokemon? I experimented a bit with trainer editors and found that hopeless trainer editor can change the IVs of the opponent's pokemon. But there is only one problem - the IVs of all the stats are the same. And I didn't find anything about changing the EVs. What I'm essentially asking is how to customize the trainer pokemon's stats without changing the level.

I have an idea for a hack where the trainers battle more competitively, especially the gym leaders, elite four, champion and the villainous team. Making the usual random trainers on the routes more difficult would be nice as well. I know that it's impossible for a programmed trainer to battle competitively like normal humans but at least making them half as decent would be a great step as we can give them competitive moves and items. I have also seen some trainers battling almost competitively in other hacks who have very high stats and AI.

Another thing - how to change the AI of trainers. I didn't see any difference when I changed it in trainer editors except that it change the IVs as I mentioned before.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi, I'm new to rom hacking and I was just wondering:

Is there a way to change the IVs and EVs of other trainer's pokemon? I experimented a bit with trainer editors and found that hopeless trainer editor can change the IVs of the opponent's pokemon. But there is only one problem - the IVs of all the stats are the same. And I didn't find anything about changing the EVs. What I'm essentially asking is how to customize the trainer pokemon's stats without changing the level.

I have an idea for a hack where the trainers battle more competitively, especially the gym leaders, elite four, champion and the villainous team. Making the usual random trainers on the routes more difficult would be nice as well. I know that it's impossible for a programmed trainer to battle competitively like normal humans but at least making them half as decent would be a great step as we can give them competitive moves and items. I have also seen some trainers battling almost competitively in other hacks who have very high stats and AI.

Another thing - how to change the AI of trainers. I didn't see any difference when I changed it in trainer editors except that it change the IVs as I mentioned before.

Thanks in advance!

I think that THIS R&D might help you.

I think that THIS R&D might help you.

I have already read through that thread. As I mentioned, I am new to hacking and I thought there would be a simple way. Well, everything can't be easy, can it? It looks like I'll have to learn ASM. I briefly went through the tutorials which was linked to your signature. Will it be enough to learn the things in those tutorials; especially ASM? or is there anything else about ASM that I should learn before diving into the tutorials?

Thanks Vendily :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I have already read through that thread. As I mentioned, I am new to hacking and I thought there would be a simple way. Well, everything can't be easy, can it? It looks like I'll have to learn ASM. I briefly went through the tutorials which was linked to your signature. Will it be enough to learn the things in those tutorials; especially ASM? or is there anything else about ASM that I should learn before diving into the tutorials?

Thanks Vendily :)
    That is the simple way. And you won't need to learn ASM, you'll only need to learn to insert it, which is very easy. Follow FBI's tutorial. Without ASM knowledge, you'll have no clue what you're actually inserting, but if you follow it step by step, it will work.

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    I want to use the code that makes Mew disobedient to intentionally make a very powerful monster in my game disobey you so it's a crap shoot to use, problem is that this special disobedience is more extreme than the "normal" form you'd get with an overleveled traded monster, because it NEVER attacks ever. I want the "disobedient Mew" to behave like a traded poke where it will sometimes listen or use a different attack, not play stupid every single time.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • I want to use the code that makes Mew disobedient to intentionally make a very powerful monster in my game disobey you so it's a crap shoot to use, problem is that this special disobedience is more extreme than the "normal" form you'd get with an overleveled traded monster, because it NEVER attacks ever. I want the "disobedient Mew" to behave like a traded poke where it will sometimes listen or use a different attack, not play stupid every single time.

There's a setobedience command in scripting situations. You can look at what it does and edit it :)

leyn09

Truant Trainer
    Years
  • I used the latest version of BSP but I'm having an error everytime I tried to decompile. What's the problem? :O

Quick Questions & Answers

electicario

Random Aura Sphere and Thunderpunch user
    Years
  • I'm making a hack of Fire Red to emulate how it could have been if it was made in newer generations. Right now, I want to update the gym leaders' text to be similar to their HGSS counterparts. Do I need to script their events again or is it safe to just change their text in the original script?

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I'm making a hack of Fire Red to emulate how it could have been if it was made in newer generations. Right now, I want to update the gym leaders' text to be similar to their HGSS counterparts. Do I need to script their events again or is it safe to just change their text in the original script?

For the most part, it is not safe to change their text in the original script as there is no guarantee that the new text will be shorter than the original. What you should do instead is insert the text at new locations and use XSE to repoint the messages to the new locations.

electicario

Random Aura Sphere and Thunderpunch user
    Years
  • For the most part, it is not safe to change their text in the original script as there is no guarantee that the new text will be shorter than the original. What you should do instead is insert the text at new locations and use XSE to repoint the messages to the new locations.

Well, it didn't even come to my mind earlier... Thanks a lot!

Years
  • I want to download Jpan's hacked version of firered, but when I click on the attachment it takes me to a white screen, and saving it to my drop box gives me "attachment.php". When I click on that it just gives me a super long script. How can I properly download it, and other files on these forums?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back