• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Arrow Siham

Absolute Disaster
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2017
    Hi.. I am having trouble with a tool called "Nameless Sprite Editor". It doesn't run in my PC. Can you please tell me the solution? I am having Windows 7 (32 bit) in my PC and also I have ".net framework 4.0" installed. I am eagerly waiting for your reply!

Happy and at peace. :)
    Years
    Hi.. I am having trouble with a tool called "Nameless Sprite Editor". It doesn't run in my PC. Can you please tell me the solution? I am having Windows 7 (32 bit) in my PC and also I have ".net framework 4.0" installed. I am eagerly waiting for your reply!

Alright King Arrow. I just set up a VM (Virtual Machine) with a fresh copy of windows 7. I then inserted a disk into the VM and copied the files found here at https://nse.codeplex.com/releases/view/87312. I first found that it of course needed the .NET Framework to run. So, I went to a website called ninite.com, and scrolled to the area where it says runtimes (java, flash, etc.) and I picked .NET. I then downloaded the installer, ran it and let it do its work. When it was finished, I had a working NSE. Let me know if I can help you in any other after you follow those instructions.

For an easier link with direct access to the runtime, navigate to https://ninite.com/.net4.6.1 and run it. It will automatically install. Again, hope this helps!
    https://ninite.com/.net4.6.1/

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    Is scripting different for crystal? I've built a give pokemon script to apply to the sprout tower dude to replace the HM05 gift, but I can't find his existing script to repoint the if command.

I have used crystalmap to try and find the event, but that doesn't lead to anything of importance. Can someone help me please? Ideally by telling me where that offset is so I can decompile and replace that code.

Thanks!

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
    Is scripting different for crystal? I've built a give pokemon script to apply to the sprout tower dude to replace the HM05 gift, but I can't find his existing script to repoint the if command.

I have used crystalmap to try and find the event, but that doesn't lead to anything of importance. Can someone help me please? Ideally by telling me where that offset is so I can decompile and replace that code.

Thanks!
    You can for example see where the script data is by first finding where some text string that is printed as part of the script is located. Then you simply search for the pointer to this text string, and since the pointer is part of a script code for printing text data in the same rom bank, the script code for telling to print text is one byte ahead of the text pointer. Open the rom with pksvui and decompile script data from the address where this script code for printing the text is located (or if you need to edit the whole script, check with hex editor where the script data starts in case you're able to follow the hex code of the script).

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Is there a post about Fire Red not allowing evolutions not in the Kanto Region? Like not letting Eevee evolve into Espeon or Umbreon? I would like to include Fakemon and other region Pokemon before beating the Champion and I'm not sure that the Kanto Pokedex can get expanded when using a tool.

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
    Is there a post about Fire Red not allowing evolutions not in the Kanto Region? Like not letting Eevee evolve into Espeon or Umbreon? I would like to include Fakemon and other region Pokemon before beating the Champion and I'm not sure that the Kanto Pokedex can get expanded when using a tool.

In order to allow all evolutions to occur, you need to have the national dex. Just use the special 0x16F in a script to activate the national dex.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    In order to allow all evolutions to occur, you need to have the national dex. Just use the special 0x16F in a script to activate the national dex.

And that won't affect anything major related to anything with the Pokedex? No nasty side effects? And I just have to do "special 0x16f" in a script? Nothing else?

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    And that won't affect anything major related to anything with the Pokedex? No nasty side effects? And I just have to do "special 0x16f" in a script? Nothing else?

No. The FR hack I'm working on at the moment includes pokes from all 6 gens, but you will need to have the National Dex. In mine, I just have the guy give you the national dex at the start instead of the kanto pokedex.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    No. The FR hack I'm working on at the moment includes pokes from all 6 gens, but you will need to have the National Dex. In mine, I just have the guy give you the national dex at the start instead of the kanto pokedex.

Ah ok. And if the starters were not in the Kanto Pokedex, would I need to have a script give the National Pokedex before getting them? Or would that be fine with what you said?

Crizzle

Legend
    Years

That's pretty much it. Special 0x16F activates the national dex. There's nothing else to it.
    There shouldn't be any side effects because that's the way the game itself does it, it just does it later on.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    That's pretty much it. Special 0x16F activates the national dex. There's nothing else to it.
    There shouldn't be any side effects because that's the way the game itself does it, it just does it later on.

This is to either of you. What special is used to give the player the Kanto Pokedex? That way I know what to replace with the National Pokedex.

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2020
    There are a couple of features I've seen in multiple Firered hacks that I would be interested in implementing, and I was wondering if they were part of a base or something.

-Reusable TMs (On that note, how do I change what moves are TMs?)
    -Running Shoes available from the start and can be used everywhere, even indoors
    -Natures highlight the increased and decreased stat
    -I've seen some hacks have a letter, such as A+ or E- by each stat, which I believe is an approximation of IVs?
    -Improved Sturdy
    -Repel message asks if you would like to use another repel, like in BW2

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2020
    There are a couple of features I've seen in multiple Firered hacks that I would be interested in implementing, and I was wondering if they were part of a base or something.

-Running Shoes available from the start and can be used everywhere, even indoors
    -I've seen some hacks have a letter, such as A+ or E- by each stat, which I believe is an approximation of IVs?
    -Improved Sturdy

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
    This is to either of you. What special is used to give the player the Kanto Pokedex? That way I know what to replace with the National Pokedex.

It's not a special. Rather it's a flag that gives the Kanto Pokedex. Setflag 0x829 will turn on the Kanto Dex.

-Improved Sturdy

A lot(if not all) of this stuff can be quickly found by just looking through these forums, especially the resource threads.
    I'll point out of some(not all) of this:
    Setflag 0x82F will activate runningshoes. You just do that at the beginning of the game.
    BW2 Repels: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=291023
    Abilities thread(for your Sturdy issue): https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=343264

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    It's not a special. Rather it's a flag that gives the Kanto Pokedex. Setflag 0x829 will turn on the Kanto Dex.

I thank you a lot for helping me. But I have one more question. If I have this right, all I need to do is replace "setflag 0x829" with "special 0x16f"? And that will give the National Pokedex instead of (and in addition to) the Kanto Pokedex?

[EDIT] Ok well, I replaced "setflag 0x829" with "special 0x16f" and the Pokedex didn't show up. Then I moved part of the script around and put "special 0x16f" right after the flag. That time I don't think the National Pokedex showed up so, any help where I should put the special for the Nat'l Pokedex at? Or should I make an entirely new script? Some extra help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2017
    I need help with Pokemon Crystal. I'm not using the disassembly as I can't get it to work. I've also altered too much now to start over, even if I could :/

What I want to do is insert the trigger for the Celebi event in my romhack.

Ideally I would like the Sprout Tower Sage to give you the GS ball instead of HM05. There are a few problems with this:

1) I can't find the HM05 giveitem event in the hex editor. I have tried looking but can't locate it.
    2) The hex codes for the Crystal items doesn't include the GS Ball so I wouldn't even know what to change it to.
    3) The gameshark code for the game requires two codes. One to put the GS ball in your inventory and the other to validate it. Presumably having the Sage give you the ball would not be sufficient and would require another offset to be altered to validate it.

The other option, although not really the one I'd prefer, would be the TCRF approach. TCRF advises that the save file can be edited by setting the byte at 0xBE3C in an English save file to 0x0B. This will start the event as it was intended, with the woman giving you the ball in the Goldenrod PC. I have tried altering both the save file and the rom file, but it doesn't work. If the previous method cannot be done (with the sage) can someone advise on what offset/bytes need to be altered to trigger this event in game as standard, without needing to alter individual save files?

Thanks a lot!

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
    I thank you a lot for helping me. But I have one more question. If I have this right, all I need to do is replace "setflag 0x829" with "special 0x16f"? And that will give the National Pokedex instead of (and in addition to) the Kanto Pokedex?

[EDIT] Ok well, I replaced "setflag 0x829" with "special 0x16f" and the Pokedex didn't show up. Then I moved part of the script around and put "special 0x16f" right after the flag. That time I don't think the National Pokedex showed up so, any help where I should put the special for the Nat'l Pokedex at? Or should I make an entirely new script? Some extra help would be appreciated.

Setflag 0x829 opens up the Pokedex menu, and special 0x16F will activate(or upgrade) it to the national dex. So it's best you use both. That's how it worked for me in my hacks. You can open up my hack(Outlaw, where Oak gives you the national Pokedex) to see how I did it.
    Just remember that the national dex doesn't look significantly different from the Kanto Dex, so make sure you just didn't miss it.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
    Where is the trade table located for fire red? I would use the tools to modify trades, but Zodiac's isn't dynamic so it doesn't change after the MrDs patch and the one in PGE doesn't seem to work. So I'd rather change the thing myself with a hex editor, but I don't know where it is to change. Pls and thank you.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Setflag 0x829 opens up the Pokedex menu, and special 0x16F will activate(or upgrade) it to the national dex. So it's best you use both. That's how it worked for me in my hacks. You can open up my hack(Outlaw, where Oak gives you the national Pokedex) to see how I did it.
    Just remember that the national dex doesn't look significantly different from the Kanto Dex, so make sure you just didn't miss it.

Ok. Would the script be in the same place it normally would be or did you move it to some other place?

[EDIT] Actually, I can't patch it for some reason. Not sure if it's the wrong version or something, but it keeps saying invalid checksum. If you could post the code for the script that would be nice.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back