• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Hi everyone, new to this site and hacks in general so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    In a little project that I've been working on, using English Fire Red 1.0 I wanted to expand the number of TMs (or more accurately HMs). I've gone through a lot of threads for the answer to this, and the only solutions I've found were ASM methods (for people who wanted a lot of extra TMs) or replies that say "you can expand the table easily but each pokemon only can hold data for 64 tms/hms." The thing is, I haven't seen an explanation of that easy expansion to 64. I only want to add on a few extra HMs without replacing any existing TMs, so I don't see the point of using ASM if there is an easy way to expand it to 64 with hex/repoints.

On a slightly related question, how do I allow unlimited use of TMs? I know it has something to do with changing the mystery slot, but I'm not really sure what that slot is/how to change it.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Hi everyone, new to this site and hacks in general so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    In a little project that I've been working on, using English Fire Red 1.0 I wanted to expand the number of TMs (or more accurately HMs). I've gone through a lot of threads for the answer to this, and the only solutions I've found were ASM methods (for people who wanted a lot of extra TMs) or replies that say "you can expand the table easily but each pokemon only can hold data for 64 tms/hms." The thing is, I haven't seen an explanation of that easy expansion to 64. I only want to add on a few extra HMs without replacing any existing TMs, so I don't see the point of using ASM if there is an easy way to expand it to 64 with hex/repoints.

On a slightly related question, how do I allow unlimited use of TMs? I know it has something to do with changing the mystery slot, but I'm not really sure what that slot is/how to change it.

If you're planning on using existing moves, then there's less hex expansion needed. You will not be able to avoid some ASM though (particularly to get the BRM working). I did some documentation about how the current HMs work, but I haven't done anything about adding HMs. I'll release my field moves routines in the near future (maybe). The only reason that's a maybe is because I'm getting super lazy when it comes to instructions/explanations, new things just require a lot of explanation to be useful.

Also, I don't understand why you are assuming the ASM solution is harder than potentially repointing X amount of tables, finding limiting bytes, and fixing everything too. People are too intimidated I find. If you take the time to read some tutorials, maybe in more than 1 sitting, I think anyone can wrap their heads around the concept. It's a low level programming language, where most of the complicating concepts aren't even widely used. (Well, actually in this case it is harder). Though, if your new HM is to even do anything in the overworld, you would need ASM.

Anyways, I think you're right. This probably isn't the right section for your question, but in hindsight I was able to address the source of some of my laziness. :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2016
    I don't know whether this is the right place for it. If no, sorry and move it.

I'm working on my own Emerald BPEE hack and it happend to third time to me today to destroy it and mess everything up.
    No idea what i did wrong.

I applied the FF byte patch to the clean rom first.
    Next the physical/special split.
    I did the AdvanceMap.ini offset changes.

Is there anything else i should be careful with or to do?

Also i repointed all Pokémon's moves. They learned all normal, tutor, breeding and event moves.
    I gave Bulbasaur, Ivysaur, Venusaur the same move offset. Also Onix, Steelix, etc. Can i do this?
    Because later every Pokémon had a different offset.

And one more question: I deleted all battle frontier Pokémon and created new ones to only have 200.
    Repointed all trainers but in frontier the game freezes. Why? This isn't so important, but it would be nice if this is possible.

Why does my hack messed up the third time with these preparations? (What you think, what it could be)
    (Elite Four magically got new blank offsets, persons in cities were deleted, a few special scripts repeated unlimited times)
    - Changed AdvanceMap.ini offset
    - Applied FF byte patch
    - Doesn't created wild Pokémon data were no ones exists.

I'm no expert, but the only little things i changed were for example moves, text, ...

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Does anyone know where I can find Brendan's biking sprite from the end credits of Emerald?

Quick Questions & Answers

^ Like this, but for Brendan. Plus, a sprite sheet would be better than a GIF.
    Well I'm not 100% sure on this, but inunlz here are 2 images that kinda match what you want
    317 boy bike
    318 girl bike
    They may be in a different location for you, but hopefully not too far off.
    Also side note, I didn't really document these very well so they might be the intro ones or they may be the ending ones. I think they share a bike image though. If they dont I'll post the images numbers for ya.

EDIT: heres the offset for the bike for ya 0x085f4318. If it shares a bike it'll show.

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • I have two questions. Firstly, is it normal that unnamed trainer editor doesn't work for Pokemon Leafgreen/Firered? If so, what other trainer editor is there to use?

Secondly, after editing the wild pokemon and trainers in pokemon emerald, the wild pokemon I changed (using advancedmap) got reset to normal again? Why is that? Could it be because of the repointing I did when editing trainers, to give them more pokemon?

Years
  • I have two questions. Firstly, is it normal that unnamed trainer editor doesn't work for Pokemon Leafgreen/Firered? If so, what other trainer editor is there to use?

Secondly, after editing the wild pokemon and trainers in pokemon emerald, the wild pokemon I changed (using advancedmap) got reset to normal again? Why is that? Could it be because of the repointing I did when editing trainers, to give them more pokemon?

1. It should not be like that.
    2. I am not sure what to answer. =/

Where did you downloaded Unnamed Trainer Editor?

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years

As for you second question.. I think you forgot to save it. If not, I suggest you edit the trainers first then the wild pokemon on a-map. I don't think there should be a problem there, I have never experienced that and I don't think it should conflict as well o-o maybe it has other problems.

RedWolf98

That Guy >.>
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2015
    I have a question regarding the initial start-up of an Emerald ROM. Once you're done choosing your gender in the intro screen with the Poke-professor (Which would be nice if anyone can help me locate it), how do you script the first warp from that la-la land into the actual game? I cannot find the scripting for that and when I study the original scripts from the back of the trunk on Emerald, I just come up confused with the sorcery they have used. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Also, how can you edit scripts found in Emerald with XSE and save it so that the script you drafted is the one actually used instead of the old one? And example is changing the Pokemon Center signs to say something else. How would you move into doing that throught Advance Map (As I cannot open the ROM archives through XSE alone).

Thanks for the help in advance

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • I have a question regarding the initial start-up of an Emerald ROM. Once you're done choosing your gender in the intro screen with the Poke-professor (Which would be nice if anyone can help me locate it), how do you script the first warp from that la-la land into the actual game? I cannot find the scripting for that and when I study the original scripts from the back of the trunk on Emerald, I just come up confused with the sorcery they have used. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Also, how can you edit scripts found in Emerald with XSE and save it so that the script you drafted is the one actually used instead of the old one? And example is changing the Pokemon Center signs to say something else. How would you move into doing that throught Advance Map (As I cannot open the ROM archives through XSE alone).

Thanks for the help in advance

I'm not sure about the first question. For the second, if you want to edit current scripts through advance map and XSE, you can click the person event/script in a-map, and click 'open script'. Then you will see the script that that person is assigned, and you can edit it as you like. But please note before doing this, you must go to settings>choose script editor in a-map, and select XSE. If this is what you were asking, yay :P

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2016
    Is there a site with the palette colour offsets for pokemon? I'm adding some pokemon to my rom hack, but I don't have the time to sit and type random offsets till I find one that works. I'm using APE, and Hacking FireRed.

Years

For your first question, i don't know why unnamed trainer editor didn't work, but another editor you can use is Advanced Trainer by HackMew. Here's a link to where you can download it.https://www.hackromtools.altervista...ge/16-trainers-editing-eng/51-advance-trainer

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • Is there a site with the palette colour offsets for pokemon? I'm adding some pokemon to my rom hack, but I don't have the time to sit and type random offsets till I find one that works. I'm using APE, and Hacking FireRed.

If you're trying to insert new Pokémon, you can use The sprite editor From Advance Sprite, Icon, and Position editor. All you need to do is load your ROM, find the Pokémon you want to replace, go to edit>import all, and select your 256x64 indexted image of the new Pokémon, then click 'synchronize palettes'. Click OK and write to ROM, simple as that. No need to manually replace the palettes, it does everything for you. You can find all of the Pokémon in this format indexted here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=267728

You can download Advance Sprite, Icon, and Position editor here:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/34957059/Advanced Series.rar

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2016
    Okay, one more question. How do I add more spaces for pokemon? I've used up all the blank spots that appear after Celebi. I'm trying to add pokemon from gen 4 and 5, as well as some fakemon.

RedWolf98

That Guy >.>
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2015
    I'm not sure about the first question. For the second, if you want to edit current scripts through advance map and XSE, you can click the person event/script in a-map, and click 'open script'. Then you will see the script that that person is assigned, and you can edit it as you like. But please note before doing this, you must go to settings>choose script editor in a-map, and select XSE. If this is what you were asking, yay :P

I have done that and when I edit the scripting, it doesn't save in the actual ROM :/ I'll try again and see what happens but as it stands...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back