• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

R4ds - Slot-1 DS Flash Cart

dstaley

Closet Pokemon Geek
    Years
    Has anyone had any experience with flashcarts for the Nintendo DS? I want to get a decent Slot-1 card so I can use some homebrew applications. I've looked into the R4, a card that seems to be getting a LOT of hype recently. The compatibility list for the R4 is AMAZING for commercial ROMS, so I won't have to carry around all of my 40+ DS Carts (Not that I do that anyway, but it would be nice to be able to do).

So, in other words, has anyone had any experience with a Slot-1 flashcart for the Nintendo DS?

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    The M3-Simply and the R4 are almost identical.
    You're right, if you use a compatible Flash Card, the compatibility list is huge.
    Also, with the built-in PassMe, you have your GBA slot free for other things, like extension memory or GBA carts.
    Another nice thing with them is that they can correct card speeds, so that you won't notice any lag in the games you're playing, even if you have a slow Flash Card.
    Not to forget the ability to backup your savegames, or transfer them to your computer.

Also, with the MoonShell player, you can watch films, images, and listen to songs while you're around, so you always have a little entertainment centre with you.

Got an M3-Simply myself, and haven't had any problems or incompatibilities with it yet. Overall, a nice thingy. :>

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 11, 2023
    Can you put GBA ROMs onto R4? I tried but to no avail... And can you put, and play, movies/songs ect. on it?

Pazuzu

Flushing Meadows
    Years
    Can you put GBA ROMs onto R4? I tried but to no avail... And can you put, and play, movies/songs ect. on it?

You can't. Slot-1 devices only support DS ROMs. If you want to play GBA ROMs, you need a second Slot 2 device, and boot it from the Slot-1 device's menu.

Movies, Songs, Images, eBooks, can be access via the integrated MoonShell program.
    It acts like a little multimedia centre.
    You can use other homebrews for that, though.

aquariumboy

\m/_ ((-L-)) _\m/
    Years
    r4ds and the m3 simply are the same cards the only thing seperating them is there names. i have an r4ds (faster updates) and iv been able to play any ds game on the market... i bought mine as a bundle from gameyeeeah.com there one of the few people iv seen that sell (REAL) japanese kingston microSD cards. good luck what ever you buy. (oh btw dont buy neoflash cards there really bad news)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 2, 2012
    I am also interested n this but on another forumi got confused do you need to do somethign to the DS or not i don't think yu do but i need to check as i won't be using my DS (I am only using this for D/P on my bros DS i have a PSP) thanks inadvance Shiny_Latios

DiamondDust

Life Is An Initial Step...
    Years
    Bought one for $84.95 for the Delivery and the R4DS and Sandisk Memory Card (1G). It hasn't arrived yet.

I can't wait to put some song unto mine!

EDIT: Mine has arrived and it works perfectly...
    (Bought Mine From gameyeeeah or however you spell it)

Last edited:

D-Trogh

Dead
    Years
    Me and my brother bought a R4 + 1GB TF.. so 2x R4 + 1GB TF [!] from Winsunx.
    Incl. shipping it was around $80 I think..
    I live in Belgium and shipping was $20 [Yeah.. there shipping isn't cheap.. but you I got it in 3 or 4 days ;)]
    A R4+1GB TF combo is $32 on Winsunx ;-)

Back