• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ranking of Generations.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2013
    No. 6: Generation 1. When it was all that I had, it was awesome. But going back to play it reminds me of how much Pokemon has improved. The story wasn't very good, there were a few bugs and glitches (most people had fun with those , though) and you couldn't run or hotkey your bicycle. The map was fairly small as well.

No. 5: Generation 3. In Generation 3 the few added features and interesting map (Hoenn,) did not make up for the lazy plot and (IMO,) the terrible Pokemon designs and stats. There were so many terrible Pokemon made this generation, and still many lack boosts or evolutions they deserve. The very few Pokemon I ended up finding appealing were almost all mediocre at best in battle.
    Generation 3 added Pokemon aside, Firered and Leafgreen were amazing fun remakes that I still enjoy playing. Almost all faults I found with Gen 1 games were remedied with FR and LG.

No. 4: Gen 4. Despite that some of my favorite games and Pokemon were introduced in Gen 4, I cannot place it higher on my list simply because it brought almost nothing new to the table. He beginning of Gen 4, D&P, produced an adequate but predictable addition to the Pokemon series. The story was interesting enough, the map was big and interesting enough, and Wifi battles gave hours of fun. But all of these features were to be expected, and nothing very creative and surprising was introduced.

No. 3: Gen 5. While I was disappointed in there being no added evolutions for many of Gen 3s failures, I was still pleased with Gen 5. The new moves and Pokemon added some real diversity and versitality for battling. Thanks to gen 5, there's usually no objectively best moveset for any Pokemon, and you can create slightly less predictable and uniform teams in each tier allowing you to show creativity and uniqueness with your teams.

No. 2: Gen 2. Generation 2 really refined the rough edges of Pokemon. It introduced breeding among many other things. Uniquely, in Generation 2 you were able to travel back to a previous region and earn their badges, something no other generation has done (besides the Gen 2 remakes.) I also believe Gen 2 introduced many unique and lovable Pokemon that can still hold their own in battle today.

No. 1: Gen 6. Wow, simply wow. Never have so many innovative ideas been smoothly added into a Pokemon game. Different battle styles, a new type, Pokemon Amie, mega evolutions, and many other things are what set X&Y above the other games, in my opinion. There was a small but healthy number of Pokemon added, and I believe adding less new Pokemon have them time and energy to really work on the Pokemon they did put out, giving almost all of them very unique designs, movesets and stats.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • No 6: Gen?
    Generation 1 (Red/ Green/ Blue/ Yellow).
    I loved Kanto, loved the music, loved the gameplay and the whole story, but, what were we to do afterwards? Some sprites were horrid, you could barely make out some Pokemon, but, it was their first attempt, remember how some Pokemon used to dodge the Pokeball? The games in themselves were scary...

No 5: Gen?
    Generation 2 (Gold/ Silver/ Crystal).
    Nice games, gave me lots of memories, enjoyed the gameplay, however, Kanto was pretty much butchered to death.

No 4: Gen?
    Generation 5 (Black/ White/ Black 2/ White 2).
    Kinda disappointing, B/W had a mature storyline and such, but the games were just too short and too easy, B2/W2 were much better.

No 3: Gen?
    Generation 3 (Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald/ Firered/ Leafgreen).
    Great games (R/S/E) Enjoyed the gameplay, region and Pokemon, had a thing for May... (Which I regret now), but what made Gen 3 even better was FR/LG, they were much better than R/B/Y by a long shot, we atleast had a post-game story.

No 2: Gen?
    Generation 4 (Diamond/ Pearl/ Platinum/ Heartgold/ Soulsilver).
    This was a great generation, while on unwanted pause from gen III (thanks to the promise of being allowed on a certain family member's PC), I never explored Sinnoh much myself when I first saw it, my little brother got Pearl for his 11th birthday, I only played a bit of it and I totally enjoyed Sinnoh! The same with Gen 3, the remakes made this generation even better! I loved the Pokemon Yellow throwback and the trip back to Johto...

No 1: Gen?
    Generation 6 (X/ Y...).
    Best generation so far, I love the new Pokemon, we finally got a proper Lion Pokemon, Kalos was diverse and the storyline was mature, when was the last time we heard "graves" in a Pokemon game? I was shocked to see a coffin containing a Pokemon, the references to the previous gens were amazing! What makes this generation even better are Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I find it impossible to rank the number one, and I also find it impossible to really rank the first generation.

It was the first generation. It introduced us to the world. You can't really criticize it these many years later because of the graphics, or anything like that. It had the same graphics any other game that came out at that point in time had. No **** the graphics suck nowadays. You can't really judge it looking back, because it will always fall short. Try to judge it for what it was at the time.

The Pokémon are the most recognized and the most iconic of all the Pokémon to date because of the fact that they were the original. Whether you want to criticize their designs for not being original or not, they were still the first.

So, Generation I stands alone as nothing short of timeless and a classic. The rest, however, are pretty easy for me...

VI > II > IV > III > V

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    Number 6: Generation V (Black, White, Black 2,White 2)
    No. No. No. I love New York, but hate the fact that every Pokemon before the Elite 4 was like from Generation V. New York is a multicultural city!!! Not a city that is cut off from everything!!! I don't like the designs and the origin of the BW2 dragons. The merging? No. I like Pokemon because it is natural and real.

Number 5: Generation VI (X, Y.....)
    Oh no. Here comes the Genwunner names. Think of it like this. Generation V points: zero. Generation VI points: 96 (out of 100). The outer region Pokemon is back!!! France has a lot of culture, and they can be friendly at times. Besides, the ninja frog makes its debut! But I am disappointed in the amount of Pokemon introduced (I mean, no New Zealand birds?). If they make XY2, I will rip Nintendo's head off. I like the pair, then better version strategy. That way, they won't look like they just want your money. I want something like Emerald and Platinum. Then the remakes of Generation 3. Yep.

Number 4: Generation I (Red, Blue, Yellow)
    Let me explain before you call me a 2010s kid. I love Gen I Pokemon, just not more than Gen II, III, and IV. Thus, it is number 4. I wish that Green was released here in Canada. I have never played the games on the consoles (Because there are no stores that sell them where I live) , but from what I've seen, they did a pretty good job (Considering the age of 16 or so). If the games were so crappy, then how do they make a profit? Because it isn't. And there is Mew.

The next few generations have 0.000000000.....00001 points apart.

Number 3: Generation IV (Diamond, Pearl --the game that started my otaku on Pokemon--, Platinum, Heartgold, Soulsilver)
    I love the story board for the Sinnoh region. Besides, with out this Gen, I would be like "What the hell is Pokemon?" And Barry? (I named him Jun in my Pearl because I read a manga adaption where Barry's counterpart is Jun. I thought that was his name back then) BEST NPC EVER. I think I may have become a female version of him, klutzy, sudden feeling of killing people.

Number 2: Generation II (Gold, Silver, Crystal)
    Beautiful. The fact that most current technical features were added in this Generation, and my favourite Grass-type Pokemon was introduced too. It placed high, because of one thing. Breeding. I just like most of the Pokemon, ok?

Number 1: Generation III (Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Firered, Leafgreen)
    Maaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!! Coooooonnnnnttttteeeeessssttttttssss!!!!!!!! Mooooooooossssstttttt Beeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeessssssss!!!!!!! My mascot, Sharpedo!!!! All in one Generation!!!!!! Nuff said.

Years
  • Im sorry but of all the six gens I cant really say, all I have is like my top 2:

No. 2 would be gen 2.
    No. 1 would ofcoarse be gen 3.

Plus gen 3 has the nicest hacks

Last edited:

AwesomeRob

Congrats!
    Years
  • 6. Gen 1
    I know everyone loves these games, but really, I think that's just due to nostalgia. These games have aged horribly, Psychic types are way overpowered, and there's no reason to play these games anymore because of FireRed/LeafGreen.
    5. Gen 2
    I know a lot of people will be pissed because this is so low, but like R/B/Y these games have better remakes, so there's no reason to play them anymore.
    4. Gen 4
    This generation had a lot of great things. The music was great, the visuals are way stepped up from Gen 3, and they had some cool Pokemon. But, one thing that seriously drags this generation down is the speed of the battles. It's unbearably slow. But, other than that this gen is pretty good.
    3. Gen 6
    Gen 6 was a HUGE step up from the previous games. The battles looked and felt better than ever, the music got an upgrade, and this gen had some great Pokemon, too. But, this gen also has a lot of flaws. It's really easy, there's really not even a post-game, and the npcs were kind of annoying as well.
    2. Gen 5
    Even though Black/White were pretty good, I'm mainly talking about B2/W2 here, because those two games might just be my favorite in the series. Awesome Pokemon to choose from, good difficulty, and easily the best post-game in the series.
    1. Gen 3
    Gen 3 is just... great. R/S/E had great new Pokemon, cool new mechanics, and we can all agree they were like X/Y: they gave the series a much needed upgrade. And then there's FireRed/LeafGreen, which are remakes that make exploring Kanto so much less slow and annoying. I know this generation tends to get hated, but it's my personal favorite.

Beyond Infinity

Couldn't Outfox a Donkey
    Years
  • This will be tough...

Unova (5)
    Kanto (1)
    Sinnoh (4)
    Johto (2)
    Hoenn (3)
    Kalos (6)

This is less based on the raw region such as towns and layouts, more about my enjoyment of the game.

White didn't entice me. The actual continent was pretty cool, I liked the big bridge and the massive city and stuff, but meh.
    Red and Blue were good. I played them a lot. However, there were slow parts and since they were the original, they lacked the features the newer games have to avoid annoying parts. Even FR wasn't good enough to counter these.
    Sinnoh I spent a LOT of time and and began to understand the mechanics such as breeding and natures and stuff. It was a move forward.
    Johto was great fun, good cities and towns, good routes, good story. Suffered from some of the shortcomings of Kanto, maybe the repetition I did as a child affected both. However, it had Kanto in it plus the brilliance of Johto.
    Hoenn was great for me. An enjoyable game. Plus, running shoes, which improved everything. In fact, running shoes might be why I dislike Kanto and Johto more nowadays. Anyway, nice place, introduced a LOT of new features like weather.
    Kalos, it is just making Pokemon bigger. 3D, skates, moving weather, mechanics seem smarter, story didn't draw me down with grinding etc.

braixen

the supreme meme
    Years
  • wow i'm surprised at how many people had gen 5 as their least favorite;;

No 6: Gen 6
    Not very memorable for me; I really enjoyed the game, but I didn't like 90% of the characters in the series or Team Flare. All I really have to say!

No 5: Gen 2
    I loved this generation! I would place Gen 2 and Gen 1 in the same position in this list. I loved this gen because it had my favorite starters and I really loved how long the games were compared to the rest!

No 4: Gen 1
    I just have this here for nostalgic reasons, but I really do love this gen.

No 3: Gen 5
    Almost all of my favorite characters come from this gen, along with this being my favorite story (for black/white.)

No 2: Gen 4
    Gen 3 was the first half of my childhood, and 4th gen was the second. I played diamond so many times, and my favorite pokemon and legendary come from this gen. I always envied my little brother for getting platinum before I did. I also just love the sinnoh trio so much, and the 3 lake legendaries.

No 1: Gen 3
    This was the first gen in my childhood that I actually remember playing a lot of; even got a kyogre book mark from school at a book fair once! Everything is so bright and colorful this gen; and I could play this gen over and over again. I also loved the music.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Wow. I think this'll be the first time my post will be the shortest one here (save for one). It's like this:

6 = 3 > 1

I still haven't finished Y but I like it just as much as I did Sapphire. Yellow was my favorite of the first generation, Silver was dreadful, haven't played the other two and have no desire to. Despite my brevity, I actually really like 3 and 6. I just don't feel like gushing about it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Here's my rankings
    6th- Gen V...it was alright, but it wasn't necessary the best, also it had too many forgettable Pokémon...
    5th- Gen I mostly because I've never played it, but I did play the Gen III remakes of the games.
    4th- Gen VI. I finished Y, Kalos is a region filled with several things to do and is quite beautiful, but something about the games seems to make me lack interest compared to Gen's II, III, IV, and V... Also I feel like it may be overrated like Gen V was as it's the new thing. I do enjoy that it's first pair has a lot to do post game compared to the other five initial pairs imo, for that reason it get's 4th. Well for now, I have to see how they pull off 'Z', or sequels, and possibly RS remakes, it does those things well it may get 2nd or even 1st :3
    3rd- Gen II introduced new Pokémon, day and night, which I really enjoyed, especially since night was very dark that the region seemed like another place. Also it had some of the most interesting Pokémon. Also the inclusion of another region is a very nice touch.
    2nd- Gen IV. Sinnoh is proably my second favorite region. I loved the storyline of Pt, as well as most of the evolutions introduced in this generation, sadly only one permanent evolution has been introduced ever since :(. Also it has Johto remakes!
    1st- Drumr- no play the Trumpets for it's Gen III! It was my introduction to the series. I really enjoyed the Hoenn region, especially in Emerald. The battle frontier remains my favorite post game facility. Also it allowed me to play the original games in their updated, enhanced version...aka remakes! I enjoyed the Sevii islands the most out of the remakes. Also I got to say all five games have some, if not the best, music in the entire series.

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2014
    No 6: Generation 6 X/ Y
    Well what can I say about this? It is the consequence of blind fanboys for over 10 years.

No 5: Generation 5 Black/ White/ Black 2/ White 2
    Really not impressed with the pokemon designs and I do believe this was the one with the forces of nature pokemon, which before now I had been fully willing to give that up to the legendary bird pokemon if anything had control over nature.

No 4: Generation 4 Diamond/ Pearl/ Platinum/ Heartgold/ Soulsilver
    Really not impressed with the idea of god pokemon. In fact you could probably just bundle generation 4 - 6 together and I fill relatively the same about all of them. This to me was the point where they stopped trying.

No 3: Generation 2 Gold/ Silver/ Crystal
    Was kind of like a rehash of Generation 1 but then again, so is EVERY OTHER GENERATION. But this was more like a sequel, as you have gold/silver who wonders johto learns about the demise of team rocket, and even goes on to battle red. Also introduced pokegear a much welcomed object which I have never lost my appreciation for. It also introduced making pokeballs from scratch using kurt to make them for you, something that helped dig into the pokemon universe. The introduction of eggs at this point I was not quite fond of, since it didn't make any sense really... I mean how long have people been with pokemon now? And they're just NOW finding out that pokemon come from eggs? I dare say poke science isn't very dedicated to poke research.

No 2: Generation 3 Ruby/ Sapphire/ Emerald/ Firered/ Leafgreen
    It brought a lot of beef to the table by having pokemon beauty/cool/cute contests as well as planting berries, diving, making your own little secret base. Also the nature of your pokemon and expanding on the generation II pokegear with pokenav. If I remember correctly you can even make pokefood.

No 1: Generation 1 Red/ Green/ Blue/ Yellow
    Had it's flaws, had multiple pokemon who didn't make sense and are saved by many for their nostalgia highs. But overall had the numerous good designs for pokemon as well as the idea of 8 gyms, and a pokemon league. It was the first to set up the basics for pokemon just because later generations took it's core and set it in all other generations does not make those generations any better. Had Pokemon started with generation 6 I don't think many people would have gotten into it. With an outrageous abundance of pokemon nobody wants, spend all their time trying to catch just so they can collect dust in bills inventory and virtually the same story line as generation 1 except in a different scenario.

So yeah, I wouldn't call myself a genwunner (unless it means that you played generation one first which I did) as all the generations have at least some good pokemon in them. And as Emerald really put a lot of food on the table as far as in game content goes. I am not blind to the flaws of the generations, and I am not blind to see the good of the generations. So Generation 6 is 3d? Good for it, graphics mean nothing to me, graphics are merely the icing of the cake, no not even that, graphics are merely the cherry on top. The icing is the story line and the cake is the content. I can do without the graphics.

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • Well this is my opinion of how they're ranked:

1. Gen III- It was the best gen of all. I really loved playing this game when I first got it. With the contests and Mudkip, I had a blast.

2. Gen VI- The main reason why it's number 2 is because I loved that they got rid of the sprites and went to 3D models. After 17 years of them, I was glad that they changed it. In general, the game was beautiful. If they had added more post-game content I would've made it number one. And the lack of poke transferring also knocked it down.

3. Gen II- It had 2 regions. The best post-game content Gamefreak ever came up with. I wish they would do it again. It just made the game so much more enjoyable. And it also introduced Suicune. It had been my favorite legendary at the time. xD I was obsessed with it. And Celebi. My absolute favorite pokemon of all time. It's so cute and adorable.

4. Gen IV- It was fun. I didn't have any issues with this gen. Diamond was my first game that I got for my DS lite. And for that reason I have a lot of love for this gen. :p Especially since Dialga and Infernape came out with it. The Distortion World really was an issue for me though. xD I kept getting lost so it made me not like it as much (for Platinum)

5. Gen V- uh....nott much to say. I didn't like it.

6. Gen I- I didn't really play it. So I can't really say much about it.

Outlier

Gen 2 reigns supreme. Then gens 1, 3, 4, 6 & 5. IN THAT ORDER!

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    6. Generation I (R/B/Y/G)
    I didn't really play it much, so I have nothing to say about it, but I have huge respect since this started it all.

5. Generation II (G/S/C)
    I also didn't really play it much, but I find it more interesting than the first generation.

4. Generation V (B/W/BW2)
    Okay, okay. The 3D stuff were cool and all, and so were the Pokemon but something felt missing in this game. Most of the places in the region weren't interesting enough, and even Castelia got boring after a while (Nimbasa was a cool place, though), and everything just didn't feel the same.

3. Generation VI (X/Y)
    I haven't played it yet, but from the looks of it, this seems like a great generation. I'm looking forward to playing these games, and this rank will most likely rise.

2. GENERATION III (R/S/E/FR/LG)
    A few years ago, I would've said that this went the first place but for some reason it changed. But don't think about it much. Hoenn was one of the best regions I've ever played it, and while I can't say much about Kanto (I haven't played fr/lg much), I can say that the games were good too - in spite of the fact that it was too close to the original, making it quite boring. The graphics were refreshing...well, except for those ugly trees, but I can live with that. Generation III was my first generation, and it has a special place in my heart. The gym leaders, the places (even Pallet Town 2.0: Littleroot) and especially the Pokemon. I just really love this generation but for some reason Generation IV...

1. GENERATION IV (D/P/PT/HG/SS)
    ...is just a tiny bit better. D/P/Pt felt super slow, and the graphics were dull but the new features and gameplay sorta made up for this flaw. Lots of features made this game more fun to play. I personally enjoyed the contests, Amity Square was cool and the plot was interesting. Sure, the towns were forgettable, (Was it Celestic Town or Celestia or whatever) but each aspect of the cities and towns made them unique. When HG/SS came, it was love all over again. The graphics were refreshing, the grass was greener and there are these sound effects on water and even footsteps! It had lots of features that made this funner than previous and next games, like Walking Pokemon, GB Sounds and the Pokeathlon! The music, like DPPt and RSE (and I guess GSC as well) was inspiring and encouraging you to move on - the music is like a big adventure! HG/SS were the perfect games for me and stand number 1 as my favorite games for now.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    #1 : Gen II
    These games changed so much from the first generation. Day/night, genders, held items, ability to play as a girl trainer... Running around in Gameboy Color Johto is somehow the epitome of pokémon for me. I get so incredibly nostalgic whenever I put up a G/S/C game and I loved the sprites, the music, the animations and the region as a whole. Not to mention all the adorable Johto pokémon introduced. In a way, I think the Johto pokémon are the most cartoon-looking, but in a good way. I also remember watching the Johto anime a lot, loving the intro music and all the pokémon there, and the PokéSpe manga has one of my favorite arcs in G/S/C. Johto is my favorite and that's just how it is.

#2 : Gen V
    Maybe surprising. I haven't finished a game in Gen V yet but I can't help but admire the generation. A whole new pokédex that actually is interesting and great, a very different concept for an evil team and more story than in earlier games. Mostly, I think it's the games I like about this generation, and the pokémon of course. Didn't see much of the anime, haven't gotten my hands properly on any manga about Unova and all in all don't feel at home in this region. But I still think it was a great step for the franchise to introduce it, so it is number 2 on my list.

#3 : Gen III
    The second pokémon game I owned (not played) and played to an insane amount was Ruby. What I love most about Hoenn is the music from the games and the very dramatic environments. Compared to the earlier regions, this was totally epic. I wasn't too happy with them withdrawing the day/night system, and berries was a silly invention imo and I never tried contests much. But everything else about the Hoenn games made them so addictive and playable. I'm not a too big fan of the FR/LG remakes since they made the game feel too bright and silly compared to the gen I games. There are many things about gen III I can complain about, but the whole picture just makes me love it too much to put it lower on the list.

#4 : Gen I
    The original and best. Well, maybe not really. My first game was Yellow and I played it to bits. The Kanto pokémon are still some of the best, the region is nostalgic and Team Rocket mean - but the whole thing doesn't quite have the magic feeling that Johto gives me. But it really is old now. The reason it's not on the bottom is because I have a thing for things that came first, and professor Oak handing a pokédex to Red and Green going out to complete it, and the feeling you get when you battle Green at the end of the game as the champion, and the endless puzzles of Silph Co... All those adventures in these games are memorable. The anime was different back then and pretty great when you think about it. The manga (pokéspe) was superb. Back then, they dared to step outside the frames and limits set by the games and deliver some preposterous but epic plots and adventures. I can't hate on gen I. It's old but it's what started the way to fame.

#5 : Gen IV
    Honestly, I don't know many great things about Sinnoh and the games and pokémon here. The pokédex is pretty cool, the region looks pretty cool but the characters are a bit weird. Gym leaders look weird, protagonists too... At least Pearl (Barry) is a cutie. And the plot? A team wanting to blow up the world?

Okay, I admit I'm biased here - still haven't finished a Gen IV game! So that might be why it's on the bottom of my list. But whenever I play the games, they don't encourage me. They feel slow and bothersome. The manga (pokéspe) was okay but I missed the old characters. The anime, I haven't even watched much, I only know that Dawn is pretty great. So maybe it's unfair for me to put it so low, but I can't do much else. The best thing with Gen IV was that they brought HG/SS along! Oh right, I should go finish SoulSilver.

Gen VI isn't on my list at all because I haven't stepped close to a Kalos game and don't feel like I know much more about the generation than the pokémon. Which are pretty okay btw!

Years
  • wow i'm surprised at how many people had gen 5 as their least favorite;;

Main reasons why 5th Gen gets hated a lot is due to "terrible" Pokemon designs and claims that the story in Black/White is too linear.

As for my thoughts...

1st: Generation V (Unova)

Now yeah, I know this generation gets hated a lot for what I mentioned above, but this is actually my fave generation to be honest, well it did introduce my fave Pokemon of all time (Oshawott you are da bomb) plus I love how modern-looking Unova is, while still mixing in some rural areas. If people think the story is too linear, you might enjoy B2/W2 more since story is less linear than B/W. I also loved the new areas they had in B2/W2 as well, not to mention those games having one of the most addictive postgames ever. And I don't think the starters look horrible at all.

2nd: Generation VI (Kalos)

I know I haven't played X and Y yet, but I've already seen how beautiful Kalos looks thanks to screenies on Tumblr and YouTube videos. The new Pokemon, while introduced in a small number, won me over a lot with great designs and everything. Plus, I fell in love with the Fairy-type quite quickly unlike most people. And best female game protagonist ever since Dawn (yeah Serena you are a badass with fashion sense) means I am definitely excited for when I eventually do play X and Y.

3rd: Generation IV (Sinnoh)

This was a great balanced generation imo, while Diamond and Pearl lacked heavily, Platinum fixed all of that. And of course, this generation introduced my first real love of a human character in the games (Dawn) as well as some interesting new Pokemon. I know many bash on this generation for having too many Legendaries, but I love how well the starters were designed, plus they had some cool typings as well. I loved how beautiful this region was and I eventually want to replay Platinum again sometime.

4th: Generation III (Hoenn)

My first generation as far as playing the games goes. The starters' designs I had mixed reactions on at first, but despite my noob state when I first played Ruby, it was my first game where I caught a shiny and beat the main story. I love the nice tropical feel Hoenn has, and all that trumpet-influenced music makes it a memorable generation for many. Still, it seems to fall for me when new generations get released.

5th: Generation II (Johto)

I wasn't a fan of most Pokemon in this region, plus there was quite a small number of new Pokemon as well. The Gym Leaders were also among the toughest here, and I didn't even play the 2nd Gen itself but I did play HG/SS which sorta comes close. At least the Japanese-inspired design of Ecruteak City saved me there.

6th: Generation I (Kanto)

Ah yes, the one that started it all apparently ended up bottom of my list for various reasons. I wasn't a fan of the Kanto starters, but their Megas in 6th Gen are making me show more faith in them lately. Most Kanto Pokemon didn't have great designs, and the eyes weren't as cute as future Pokemon. Plus, it's overrated as heck and I never even got the chance to play a proper Kanto game (nope HG/SS doesn't count for me here). Hence why Kanto was my least fave here.

So yeah, I'm a reverse Genwunner or something? I'm someone who actually loves the newer generations more for a weird reason. Very unusual but true...

Back