• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Raya and the Last Dragon

Years
    Yesterday was an exciting day for me. I always spend the whole day fidgeting nervously any time a new Disney film is on the menu. This time it was Raya and the Last Dragon! Here is my quick spoiler-less review of the latest Disney movie.

We are still in full lockdown in the UK, so obviously we can't go to the cinema right now. The good news is that you can watch the latest Disney flick on DisneyPlus by paying a premium upcharge fee on top of your subscription.

It was good to see a Disney film incorporating south-east Asia, however it did lump the whole vast area into one "sameness" and I felt it didn't really get the treatment it deserved. I'm not from Asia, so I'll leave any further commentaries on that issue to those from that part of the world, but it was a little disappointing.

Non-human characters in RATLD are gloriously detailed, but something about the human characters did seem a little strange to me. It finally dawned on me about half-way through the film what was going on.

The humans look truly amazing for the most part, but occasionally their facial expressions reminded me of those made by human characters in the Shrek franchise. A very different rendering style than I'm used to from Disney Pictures!

The characters are mainly well written, and there's undeniable chemistry between the lead character and the main antagonist, although I feel so much more could have been done with both of them.

Awkwafina's side character is one of the stranger parts of the film. The character is incredibly well-designed and is an absolute standout. The only problem is that sometimes the voice acting doesn't quite fit the character. They're not Genie from Aladdin, so why try to copy that? It was moments like this that ruined an otherwise awesome character for me.

There was also no songs in this film at all. I really don't mind Disney films without songs, but this one could certainly have used some. It would have brought more life to the characters, perhaps told us some more about their backstories and added some much needed magic. I also think some decent sing along tunes would greatly increase this film's re-watchability.

Overall, it was a good watch, but definitely not the new Disney classic I'd hoped for.

Brief synopsis (very mild spoilers):

Spoiler:

Has anybody else seen it yet? How did you feel about it? Please use spoiler tags for anything relevant :)

Years
    oh my goodness i didn't even know it was out already! i'm replying here to edit this later with a proper review, but i've been meaning to catch this since it's apparently set in the Philippines. hometown of mine's finally getting some international recognition, by Disney nonetheless, so it's pretty exciting! hoping it's at the very least decent :3

Back