• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

RBY hacking scene?

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2011
    I'm a n00blet/whatever else you'd like to call me who has been scouring the Internet for current information on ROM hacking of Pokémon R/B/Y (particularly Red and Blue)...I tried my hand at hacking Red a long time ago and made some progress, and was interested in hacking a title from that generation again.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there still anyone else out there who actively hacks ROMs from the first generation of Pokémon games? I've been reading stickies on frequently asked questions and guides to hacking, but it seems like everything is for Advance-era titles.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • I'm a n00blet/whatever else you'd like to call me who has been scouring the Internet for current information on ROM hacking of Pokémon R/B/Y (particularly Red and Blue)...I tried my hand at hacking Red a long time ago and made some progress, and was interested in hacking a title from that generation again.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there still anyone else out there who actively hacks ROMs from the first generation of Pokémon games? I've been reading stickies on frequently asked questions and guides to hacking, but it seems like everything is for Advance-era titles.
    I know a lot about GSC (and RBY are very similar to them) so you can ask me too if you need to know how basic structures work and such but in case you know a lot about hacking already, I'd recommend asking Sawakita - he's currently making a major hack of pokemon blue.

Besides, as you want to hack 1st gen, others at Skeetendo Inc can also help you out.

E.C.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    If i'm not mistaken, there is a sticky thread on the tutorial forums about 1st generation hacking.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Imo most of us know that we cannot beat Brown and since probably most hacks will be compared to Brown, hackers kinda want to avoid that :D
    Also another reason might be that those games are really too old and most of us won't play them anymore and would rather play "colored" GBA hack :)
    But that's my opinion.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    As Miksy91 stated, Skeetendo is a good place to find documentations and stuff concerning RBY/GSC hacking.

If i'm not mistaken, there is a sticky thread on the tutorial forums about 1st generation hacking.
    Indeed there is: link.
    Imo most of us know that we cannot beat Brown and since probably most hacks will be compared to Brown, hackers kinda want to avoid that :D
    Also another reason might be that those games are really too old and most of us won't play them anymore and would rather play "colored" GBA hack :)
    But that's my opinion.
    I disagree. In my opinion:
    - comparisons between hacks are pointless, because hacking is not a competition (although many people seem to believe so);
    - the fact that many people would rather play GBA hacks shouldn't affect what game you want to hack, because hacking is rather a hobby than a job, and you usually hack the game that you enjoy more, not the game that someone else would prefer to play.

Sephiroth2009

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2011
    Imo most of us know that we cannot beat Brown and since probably most hacks will be compared to Brown, hackers kinda want to avoid that :D
    But that's my opinion.
    I have to agree with Sawakata.

The fact that folks rather play the GBA games tells me that most people on the hacking scene are kids who've grown up in the GBA era and haven't even touched R/B/Y because they're "old". I still prefer to play them many times as originality is always better than something that continues to get revamped throughout the ages.

Don't get me wrong, I still play the newer games, but I will always adore the series that started it all. And you'd see that when my Pokemon Blue DX hack is posted here(remake of Blue on Silver).

Back