• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen RBY Major Battles Without Wasted Potential

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
    NOTE: This is my first post. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything correctly, so please, move this post to where it should be. Or just delete it. Thanks! Also, I apologize if my English is not correct.

~~~

RBY... The start of a lifelong journey, an infinite fandom, and my favorite video game series of all time. Everyone would steal organs for this back in the 90s... I would know even though I was but barely alive. Now, even though it was the start of such an amazing series... It was the start of an amazing series. So, naturally it has its problems. So right now I will try to fix the problems.

BROCK

Geodude Lv. 11
    Tackle
    Defense Curl
    Rock Tomb

Rhyhorn Lv. 11
    Horn Attack
    Rock Tomb
    Growl
    Bide

Onix Lv. 13
    Tackle
    Rock Tomb
    Bind
    Screech

MISTY

Krabby Lv. 20
    Bubble
    Screech
    Sonic Boom

Gyarados Lv. 21
    Water Pulse
    Bite
    Swords Dance
    Bind

Tentacool Lv. 20
    Constrict
    Mega Drain
    Water Pulse
    Acid

Starmie Lv. 22
    Water Pulse
    Swift
    Confusion
    Mega Drain

COMMANDER SURGE

Electabuzz Lv. 25
    Quick Attack
    Thunder Punch
    Thunder Wave
    Ice Punch

Voltorb Lv. 23
    Thunder Wave
    Thunderbolt
    Explosion
    Reflect

Magnemite Lv. 25
    Thunder Wave
    Thunderbolt
    Supersonic
    Psybeam

Raichu Lv. 27
    Quick Attack
    Thunderbolt
    Water Pulse
    Rest

ERIKA

Tangela Lv. 34
    Giga Drain
    Headbutt
    Acid
    Toxic

Vileplume Lv. 36
    Petal Dance
    Acid
    Toxic
    Seismic Toss

Victrebell Lv. 34
    Giga Drain
    Acid
    Bite
    Amnesia

Parasect Lv. 34
    X-Scissor
    Petal Dance
    Sleep Powder
    Headbutt

KOGA

Weezing Lv. 40
    Sludge Bomb
    Explosion
    Toxic
    Smokescreen

Venomoth Lv. 40
    Sludge Bomb
    Psychic
    Wing Attack
    Giga Drain

Tentacruel Lv. 40
    Sludge Bomb
    Water Pulse
    Amnesia
    Psybeam

Muk Lv. 40
    Sludge Bomb
    Earthquake
    Thunder Wave
    Rest

SABRINA

Mr. Mime Lv. 42
    Psychic
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Thunderbolt

Venomoth Lv. 44
    Sludge Bomb
    X-Scissor
    Psychic
    Toxic

Alakazam Lv. 47
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Seismic Toss

Exeggutior Lv. 46
    Giga Drain
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball
    Thunder Wave

BLAINE

Charizard Lv. 45
    Flamethrower
    Wing Attack
    Thunderbolt
    Smokescreen

Flareon Lv. 46
    Fire Blast
    Shadow Ball
    Bite
    Quick Attack

Rapidash Lv. 46
    Fire Blast
    Quick Attack
    Headbutt
    Earthquake

Ninetales Lv. 46
    Flamethrower
    Swift
    Giga Drain
    Psychic

Arcanine Lv. 49
    Fire Blast
    Quick Attack
    Take Down
    Earthquake

GIOVANNI

Dugtrio Lv. 51
    Dig
    Swift
    Rock Slide
    Reflect

Rhydon Lv. 55
    Horn Drill
    Earthquake
    Rock Slide
    Headbutt

Golem Lv. 52
    Defense Curl
    Explosion
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower

Aerodactyl Lv. 52
    Rock Slide
    Bite
    Wing Attack
    Earthquake

Nidoking Lv. 53
    Sludge Bomb
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower
    Ice Beam

LORELEI

Dewgong Lv. 58
    Water Pulse
    Ice Beam
    Sleep Talk
    Rest

Slowbro Lv. 58
    Surf
    Psychic
    Ice Beam
    Shadow Ball

Cloyster Lv. 58
    Blizzard
    Surf
    Reflect
    Thunderbolt

Jynx Lv. 58
    Psychic
    Blizzard
    Toxic
    Barrier

Lapras Lv. 60
    Blizzard
    Surf
    Thunderbolt
    Sing

BRUNO

Machamp Lv. 59
    Submission
    Double Edge
    Fire Blast
    Earthquake

Golem Lv. 59
    Explosion
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Rock Slide

Machamp Lv. 59
    Submission
    Double Edge
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake

Hitmonlee Lv. 61
    Rolling Kick
    Double Edge
    Rest
    Swords Dance

Hitmonchan Lv. 61
    Submission
    Fire Punch
    Ice Punch
    Thunder Punch

AGATHA

Haunter Lv. 60

Sludge Bomb
    Shadow Ball
    Rest
    Thunder Wave

Arbok Lv. 60
    Sludge Bomb
    Bite
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower

Golbat Lv. 60
    Bite
    Wing Attack
    Giga Drain
    Sludge Bomb

Muk Lv. 60
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Sludge Bomb
    Psychic

Gengar Lv. 62
    Shadow Ball
    Psychic
    Thunderbolt
    Blizzard

LANCE

Aerodactyl Lv. 61
    Rock Slide
    Wing Attack
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake

Dragonair Lv. 61
    Dragon Rage
    Ice Beam
    Flamethrower
    Giga Drain

Gyarados Lv. 61
    Surf
    Double Edge
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake

Charizard Lv. 61
    Fire Blast
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam
    Rest

Dragonite Lv. 63
    Dragon Claw
    Swords Dance
    Earthquake
    Quick Attack

Honestly, Gary can stay. Also, note that there will be a split in moves; one same that introduced in third generation. Moves can be melee or special not regarding their type.

Another thing I should mention. It is that I did brought in moves that weren't introduced until a later generation of games, and that is because I feel like each type should have a common amount of attacking moves. Grass should have more than solely Razor Leaf. Certainly some of you would notice this, ao I thought I should put it out there.

However, since roughly 90% of the moves would be kept as ones that were available in first generation, the randomness and uniformity of the battles of this generation is kept pretty well. And quite honestly, that is a good thing.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, should this post be welcome! :)

Years
    • Online now
    I think Brock is fine. He doesn't benefit from any changes. Rhyhorn is still getting KO'ed from anything super effective with bulbasaur and squirtle, and it's addition only further hurts those who pick charmander.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    NOTE: This is my first post. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything correctly, so please, move this post to where it should be. Or just delete it. Thanks! Also, I apologize if my English is not correct.
    I've moved your thread to what is the more correct section, but don't worry about it, it's not a big deal. Your English is fine too, and we're not strict about it anyway, just as long as people understand each other.

Anyway, I agree with Zeo about Brock, and Lance's Charizard being able to use Thunderbolt and Ice Beam seems weird to me. Otherwise though Gen 1 Gym Leaders could certainly use some changes (though it's hardly the only one that needs it).

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm pretty confused, not sure what's what you're actually trying to fix.

Brock's main problem is that both his Pokémon are 4x weak to both Grass and Water, a Rhyhorn would do nothing to improve that, Bulbasaur/Squirtle would simply outspeed and one-shot Rhyhorn as they one-shoted the Geodude before it. In fact, there's nothing you can do about Brock sucking in Gen 1 because even if you give him an Omanyte/Kabuto you only lessen his Water problem. The only Rock type in Gen 1 that isn't 4x weak to Grass is Aerodactyl, which would be ridiculous for a 1st Gym.

Then you gave Misty a Gyarados, which is a bit OP for a 2nd gym. Now, it's not really OP because you gave it a really bad move set. Why giving it Swords Dance (which is actually illegal if I'm not wrong) if it's going to attack with Bite and Bind? and its Water Stab is a special move that doesn't even benefit from Swords Dance boost. For a 2nd gym, a weaker Pokémon with a good move set would be better than an OP Pokémon with bad moves.

Speaking about illegal moves, why is there a Charizard with Thunderbolt, another Charizard with Ice Beam, Ninetales with Giga Drain, Golem with Light Screen, etc?

You've also mentioned that this would hypothetically have P/S Split, if that's the case then what's the point in giving mons with terrible Sp. Attack such as Machamp or Golem special Fire moves? Why not Fire Punch instead? or Why Surf on Lance's Gyarados instead of Waterfall?

Fixing Gen 1 is impossible if you can only use Gen 1 Pokémon. Some of the leaders and E4 are just hopeless unless you give them some Pokémon from other gens.

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
    I'm pretty confused, not sure what's what you're actually trying to fix.

Brock's main problem is that both his Pokémon are 4x weak to both Grass and Water, a Rhyhorn would do nothing to improve that, Bulbasaur/Squirtle would simply outspeed and one-shot Rhyhorn as they one-shoted the Geodude before it. In fact, there's nothing you can do about Brock sucking in Gen 1 because even if you give him an Omanyte/Kabuto you only lessen his Water problem. The only Rock type in Gen 1 that isn't 4x weak to Grass is Aerodactyl, which would be ridiculous for a 1st Gym.

Then you gave Misty a Gyarados, which is a bit OP for a 2nd gym. Now, it's not really OP because you gave it a really bad move set. Why giving it Swords Dance (which is actually illegal if I'm not wrong) if it's going to attack with Bite and Bind? and its Water Stab is a special move that doesn't even benefit from Swords Dance boost. For a 2nd gym, a weaker Pokémon with a good move set would be better than an OP Pokémon with bad moves.

Speaking about illegal moves, why is there a Charizard with Thunderbolt, another Charizard with Ice Beam, Ninetales with Giga Drain, Golem with Light Screen, etc?

You've also mentioned that this would hypothetically have P/S Split, if that's the case then what's the point in giving mons with terrible Sp. Attack such as Machamp or Golem special Fire moves? Why not Fire Punch instead? or Why Surf on Lance's Gyarados instead of Waterfall?

Fixing Gen 1 is impossible if you can only use Gen 1 Pokémon. Some of the leaders and E4 are just hopeless unless you give them some Pokémon from other gens.

In honesty, looking at this I couldn't disagree less. I basically assumed every Pokemon could learn every move in first generation as it was all so weird 😅.

RBY does not have to be fixed, per se. All I (attempting to) do was take some of the randomness away from the game as whole (Seventh gym leader with Ember? Get the hell away from me)

I do see what you're saying though, my post doesn't fix many of the problems, just changing them. I am making a post for another generation (which will be likely much easier, due of more Pokemon to work with, moves etc.) so I will keep this and mind and do better for that one.

Thank you for your feedback! :)

Back