• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Complete] Reasons to Consider Watching the Sun and Moon Anime

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Hello, after the recent flood of anime news, I updated the article I was working on, and have finally finished it. It's been edited once before the changes, so it could use another read over by someone. I've gone through again and it looks good, but it being checked again by someone else is needed.

Here's the preview link:
    https://daily.pokecommunity.com/?p=5089&preview=true

Thanks!

Any questions or concerns can also be addressed if you have any.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    The XY & Z anime may be nearing Its conclusion, however a new series is on the way!
    Its -> its

This past season of the anime, breathed new life into the series.
    anime, breathed -> anime breathed

Unlike the previous generation's anime
    generations' (because there were multiple)

However, while the new series may seem bad to people, there seems to be a lot of good reasons to watch. Let's start with some reasons based on the X and Y anime.
    Maybe say why people thought it was bad? Not for advertising why it might be bad, but so then you have a stronger argument for changing their mind. For example, "People thought that the animation style was too childish and different" -> "This animation style allows for... etc"

This was good as it showed they realized people didn't like the result of Black and White's anime
    What did XY improve upon that was bad here?

After realizing that this new formula worked for X and Y, the formula
    Just saying "the formula" is kind of vague

This is the fact that the new series will take place in a school setting. (At least for some time.)
    remove comma after setting and time and put it after the parenthesis

mother (who may or may not stay the season). and participating in this new school.
    who may or may not stay the season -> who may or may not stay throughout the season
    remove comma after parenthesis here

school with the previously revealed trial captains as well as Lillie.
    maybe say "a few of the previously revealed" because we don't know if Ilima or the others will appear in the school

I find that the the art style works well with the series and the characters look nice in it. We will most likely see better animation in the show itself, rather then the trailer. The animation might also improve over time to make the show's visuals better.
    Maybe more than just "I think it looks better, so there's that" Maybe say something more objective? This point is also based off of the assumption that there will be better animation later, which we have no idea if it's true. If it's not true, does that mean it's not worth watching?

The School setting is viewed as a setback to people from how X and Y was handled.
    School -> school

I also feel like you don't really have solid organization. After the trailers, it goes school setting -> animation style -> school setting. I would put all the school-related points in one section

any Pokémon from Kanto that Ash knows is different here,
    Sounds kind of awkward. Maybe "A few Pokemon from Kanto that Ash knows are different in Alola"

, powerful Totem Pokémon, landmine turtles, and more!
    there's two spaces after comma and before powerful

It's quite possible that Kukui or Samson Oak (Who runs the school by the looks of it). place
    remove period after parenthesis

Alola arguably has the biggest changes yet!
    another extra space

the trial captains that have been revealed so far as well as Lillie are students as well.
    Not sure if Ilima is present in the posters?

As she would be a top member of the class
    Whoa where is this assumption from?

Plus the success of Yokai Watch in Japan may have also influenced this decision.
    It's marketed as Yo-kai Watch

We can deduce that Kukui, will also be important to each
    remove comma after Kukui

In addition Team Rocket who the poster shows us are still around, this will make ten main characters!
    "In addition to Team Rocket, (add comma) who the poster shows us are still around, this will.."

We also get episodes focused on a single companion. These usually relate to their dreams or goals (such as May and Dawn who wanted to be contest stars). or

Lillie can end up being like N in the Black and White Games
    Games -> games

Another well received idea, was Team Rocket having a bigger role in
    remove comma before was

XY & Z gave them a bigger importance in the flare story, and
    flare -> Team Flare

we see that Team Skull grunt
    grunt -> grunts

Team Rocket fight Skull
    Team Skull

Having multiple villains is a fresh change
    but Team Flare was pretty important in XYZ?

Perhaps skull grunts
    skull -> Team Skull

Early on, Ash will receive a Z Ring!
    Z-Ring and Z-Move are hyphenated (all cases, not just in this sentence)

new feature was mega evolution
    Mega Evolution is capitalized

's also worth noting that Ash most likely will be the only at the school with a Rottom-Dex as well
    Rottom -> Rotom

With scenes such as Beware knocking around
    Beware -> Bewear

Pyukumuku stretching out it's fist to attack
    it's -> its

I'm a stickler for consistency so I'm gonna mention it every time. You have "XY& Z" "XY & Z" as well as "XY" and "X and Y". However, according to the official website, it's marketed as Pokemon XYZ

You also sometimes capitalize sentences in the parenthesis and sometimes you don't

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Its -> its

anime, breathed -> anime breathed

generations' (because there were multiple)

Maybe say why people thought it was bad? Not for advertising why it might be bad, but so then you have a stronger argument for changing their mind. For example, "People thought that the animation style was too childish and different" -> "This animation style allows for... etc"

What did XY improve upon that was bad here?

Just saying "the formula" is kind of vague

remove comma after setting and time and put it after the parenthesis

who may or may not stay the season -> who may or may not stay throughout the season
    remove comma after parenthesis here

maybe say "a few of the previously revealed" because we don't know if Ilima or the others will appear in the school

Maybe more than just "I think it looks better, so there's that" Maybe say something more objective? This point is also based off of the assumption that there will be better animation later, which we have no idea if it's true. If it's not true, does that mean it's not worth watching?

School -> school

I also feel like you don't really have solid organization. After the trailers, it goes school setting -> animation style -> school setting. I would put all the school-related points in one section

Sounds kind of awkward. Maybe "A few Pokemon from Kanto that Ash knows are different in Alola"

there's two spaces after comma and before powerful

another extra space

Not sure if Ilima is present in the posters?

Whoa where is this assumption from?

It's marketed as Yo-kai Watch

remove comma after Kukui

"In addition to Team Rocket, (add comma) who the poster shows us are still around, this will.."

Games -> games

remove comma before was

flare -> Team Flare

grunt -> grunts

Team Skull

but Team Flare was pretty important in XYZ?

skull -> Team Skull

Z-Ring and Z-Move are hyphenated (all cases, not just in this sentence)

Mega Evolution is capitalized

Rottom -> Rotom

Beware -> Bewear

it's -> its

I'm a stickler for consistency so I'm gonna mention it every time. You have "XY& Z" "XY & Z" as well as "XY" and "X and Y". However, according to the official website, it's marketed as Pokemon XYZ

You also sometimes capitalize sentences in the parenthesis and sometimes you don't

Thanks for all the help!

Fixed all the errors. Made every XY&Z to XYZ, and fixed the Yo-Kai Watch spelling.

That sentence with Lillie being top of the class was suppose to be could not would, so I fixed that and added more context. There's a few more pieces of context added across the article as well.

And Lilima hasn't been spotted or mentioned so far. Which is really surprising. Here's a preview if you'd like:

There's stuff like more to the art style reasoning as well. I'd love to hear your thoughts since your up to date on the anime and discuss it as well!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Some missed things;
    It's -> its
    generations -> generations'
    Before getting into the specific reasons, let' take -> Before getting into the specific reasons, let's take

also I would still say "some of the Trial Captains" instead of "the" ones because we still haven't been told if the others are in the anime

As she could be a top member of the class (as her bio on the Sun and Moon website hints at, by mentioning how much she reads. This could lead to her having a lot of knowledge on the region and more. A possible hint for this is when she is shown to answer a question about Dragons correctly in the first trailer.) even though we haven't seen any battles with her in Sun and Moon so far.

I would remove the parenthesis and rewrite this to be more sentences. that's a REALLY long parenthesis bit.

Also incidences of just "Aether" should be "Aether Foundation"

Looks good otherwise tho!

Reactions: Z25

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    My own nitpicks on top of what Altairis said.

This is quite the long article! Consider a couple more pictures, or maybe instead implement pull quotes. Check the Wordpress Guide thread for that or just ask and I can implement those for you. (They're giant quotes of select sentences you want to highlight. They'll help break up the long stretches of text).

Images need to be bigger, including the cover image. (Consider maybe this: https://pm1.narvii.com/6222/5105120fef9b0eaaa7976e0dd2c535649d29edfe_hq.jpg) Other images also larger, and maybe left/right text alignment for text wrap effects.

Add in some more tags too, e.g. Ash, Pikachu, Lillie, etc. Not too many but all the notable characters and features.

Overall it's a good read. Just needs typo fixing and polish on the presentation.

We got our first look at Sun and Moon's anime on September 16th 2016
    It was the 13th September, actually. https://daily.pokecommunity.com/201...ffs-evolution-revealed-october-2016-corocoro/ I'd link to that article in this sentence as well.
    The animation change was viewed as childish (especially Ash's new look and animations).,
    remove the full stop here.
    Although a good amount of these unappealing claims, stem from screenshots taken at the the right time.
    "However, a good amount of these unappealing claims stem from screenshots taken at the right time, in the middle of movement.
    TThese changes appear to be based on popular trends in Japanese animes. Such as poses to trigger power moves, (although this comes from the games firs)., comedy to tell the story more, as well as using funny expressions to make people laugh.
    anime (plural form is the same - like one sheep, two sheep), and the wording is awkward to me, along with the incorrect full stop and the commas creating odd pauses. Try something like:
    These changes appear to be based on popular trends in Japanese anime. Examples include poses to trigger power moves (although this comes from the games first), comedy used to move the story, and the usage of funny expressions to make people laugh.
    These changes were most likely implemented to boost the anime's ratings in Japan, since they have decreased over the years, and lost out to shows such as Yo-kai Watch which uses these tactics.
    Do you have statistics on this? I'm curious.
    – The XYZ anime showcased that the creators wanted to make the anime appealing to people again.
    Use the bullet point formatting for this rather than using - for manual ones.
    and the lack of story for the anime based on the most story heavy entry, turned viewers away.
    '...most story heavy entry in the game series turned...' (Notice I removed the comma.)
    Sun and Moon come into play. (such as the Ultra Beasts, Aether, and more.
    Remove the full stop after 'play', and Aether --> Aether Foundation.
    This is the fact that the new series will take place in a school setting (At least for some time).
    At --> at. No need to capitalise in brackets unless the sentence actually starts there.
    The art style is reminiscent of a popular trend in anime. The art style could be compared to that of animes like One Punch Man. A recently popular anime with many.
    one anime, two anime. Also try '...like One Punch Man, a recently popular anime with many'.
    We may never know why the change in style exactly, but a concept like this isn't to Farfetch'd to be real
    too Farfetch'd, and remove the extra space between 'We may'.
    (which we see seems to be one of the first things Ash encounters, as it chases him down destroying trees in the process.),
    remove that full stop - only have full stops when the sentence ends, not just because there's a bracket.
    we can see that as already mentioned, the first four revealed trial captains
    Trial Captains. It's capitalised in the Pokemon canon (games) so we're sticking to that. There are other cases of this too to fix.
    As she could be a top member of the class (as her bio on the Sun and Moon website hints at
    Link to that bio when you say that.
    We can deduce that Kukui will also be important to each episode (Probably in a mentor format to teach the students different things each day).
    probably, not Probably.
    (I won't be touching upon that here though as it's a spoiler).
    Here you correctly have a sentence starting and finishing within the brackets. In such cases you have the full stop within the brackets. If the sentence starts without brackets and finishes inside them, the full stop goes outside the closing bracket (like with this sentence).
    These usually relate to their dreams or goals (such as May and Dawn who wanted to be contest stars) or their personality (Such as the episodes about Iris's past in Black and White or Clemont's past and interest in inventions in XYZ).
    First 'such' is correct, but the second one (Such) shouldn't be capitalised.
    There's a lot of potential for Guzma, Gladion, and Plumeria to get involved and fight Ash and the rest of the gang to.
    too.
    However having team admins or bosses in a more frequent reoccurring role allows us to learn more about them and see them in a way the games may not be able to portray.
    Same with Trial Captains - treated as a rank of importance, so Admins.
    Ash also seems mature and capable in utilizing it. Which is good, as Ash's maturity was increased in XYZ.
    'This is good' instead of 'Which is good' to start the sentence.
    It's also worth noting that Ash most likely will be the only at the school with a Rotom-Dex as well! Which is nice to see.
    Same problem, different solution proposed: "...as well, which is nice to see."
    Edited by:

Nick Wilde
    Write it on one like: "Edited by Altairis, bobandbill and Nick Wilde." Note the full stop at the end here.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Some missed things;
    It's -> its
    generations -> generations'
    Before getting into the specific reasons, let' take -> Before getting into the specific reasons, let's take

also I would still say "some of the Trial Captains" instead of "the" ones because we still haven't been told if the others are in the anime

I would remove the parenthesis and rewrite this to be more sentences. that's a REALLY long parenthesis bit.

Also incidences of just "Aether" should be "Aether Foundation"

Looks good otherwise tho!
    Thanks, made those corrections and played around with formatting on a few of your points.
    My own nitpicks on top of what Altairis said.

This is quite the long article! Consider a couple more pictures, or maybe instead implement pull quotes. Check the Wordpress Guide thread for that or just ask and I can implement those for you. (They're giant quotes of select sentences you want to highlight. They'll help break up the long stretches of text).

Images need to be bigger, including the cover image. (Consider maybe this: https://pm1.narvii.com/6222/5105120fef9b0eaaa7976e0dd2c535649d29edfe_hq.jpg) Other images also larger, and maybe left/right text alignment for text wrap effects.

Add in some more tags too, e.g. Ash, Pikachu, Lillie, etc. Not too many but all the notable characters and features.

Overall it's a good read. Just needs typo fixing and polish on the presentation.

It was the 13th September, actually. https://daily.pokecommunity.com/201...ffs-evolution-revealed-october-2016-corocoro/ I'd link to that article in this sentence as well.
    remove the full stop here.
    "However, a good amount of these unappealing claims stem from screenshots taken at the right time, in the middle of movement.
    anime (plural form is the same - like one sheep, two sheep), and the wording is awkward to me, along with the incorrect full stop and the commas creating odd pauses. Try something like:

Do you have statistics on this? I'm curious.
    Use the bullet point formatting for this rather than using - for manual ones.
    '...most story heavy entry in the game series turned...' (Notice I removed the comma.)
    Remove the full stop after 'play', and Aether --> Aether Foundation.
    At --> at. No need to capitalise in brackets unless the sentence actually starts there.
    one anime, two anime. Also try '...like One Punch Man, a recently popular anime with many'.
    too Farfetch'd, and remove the extra space between 'We may'.
    remove that full stop - only have full stops when the sentence ends, not just because there's a bracket.
    Trial Captains. It's capitalised in the Pokemon canon (games) so we're sticking to that. There are other cases of this too to fix.
    Link to that bio when you say that.
    probably, not Probably.
    Here you correctly have a sentence starting and finishing within the brackets. In such cases you have the full stop within the brackets. If the sentence starts without brackets and finishes inside them, the full stop goes outside the closing bracket (like with this sentence).
    First 'such' is correct, but the second one (Such) shouldn't be capitalised.
    too.
    Same with Trial Captains - treated as a rank of importance, so Admins.
    'This is good' instead of 'Which is good' to start the sentence.
    Same problem, different solution proposed: "...as well, which is nice to see."
    Write it on one like: "Edited by Altairis, bobandbill and Nick Wilde." Note the full stop at the end here.

Fixed all those points and tidied up the article with more images and bigger sizes.

Are they to big, or do they work fine in that size? I centered or moved around all of them. Do you also think that pull quotes are still needed? I also added in a bit about Tapu Koko at the end, that I felt would be good to make note of.

As for anime statistics, I don't have the actual ones from Japan as I can't find them. I do have this though which is used a lot by people for judging anime statistics.
    https://myanimelist.net/anime/31592/Pokemon_XY_Z/stats

I know Joe Merrick made comments about the drop on Twitter awhile back as well. It's also been discussed in the Anime section on occasions as well.

Back