• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Recommendations

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Do you like it when people recommend stuff to you? Whether it is being recommended new food, music, show, store, etc.

For me, I always feel like it's a chore whenever my friend is like "oh hey you should watch this." I seriously prefer checking stuff out and trying new things when it is out of my own interest. If someone is basically suggesting it, then it loses my interest.

Years
  • I always check out what they're recommending, because there's a chance that it could be my favourite thing. I usually don't like it though. And as OP said, I'd much rather find my new favourite game myself than have someone come up to me in real life and go "HEY HAVE YOU HEARD OF XYZ?"

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I do appreciate it, really. I may take a (really long) while in getting around to checking out whatever, but I give it my best shot generally. I compile lists, sometimes written, usually mental (I have a good memory) of things to check out

I actually do prefer someone telling me "I think you would like this" because there are things that just have not clicked for me and am open to suggestions until I figure it out (like YouTubber things. I feel like an old man not understanding the appeal thus far)

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    I appreciate it when people recommends me things. It might take me a while to get around to, but remind me frequently enough and I'll give it a try. I just don't like it when some people get offended when I don't like it and tell them I couldn't find any interest in it.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I like it when people recommend things for me. It's nice to get a different perspective on things, particularly if they're from strangers or people other than yourself.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I don't see why I wouldn't want people to recommend stuff to me. They think that I'd like it, and perhaps I will, so I'll usually check out something that is recommended to me.

pkmin3033

It depends what it is, really. One thing I love doing is exchanging music with people; it's a great way to find new music and share what I enjoy with others. I've had many a Skype conversation that has consisted of just the two of us swapping Youtube links and giving feedback so as to give recommendations more suited to the other's taste. It's a fun way to pass the time, and I hear some stuff I probably wouldn't have found by myself.

But things like games and anime...not so much, really. I've had some great recommendations for anime from friends, but people almost always recommend I watch popular shows, when there is a very good reason I avoided them in the first place. As for games...well, I just don't have the time to play them, or the money to buy them. I know what I like and what I don't, so if someone recommends me a game chances are I've either already finished it or have long since discarded it. It's the thought that counts I guess, but I rarely act on these kinds of recommendation.

Years
  • Sort of yes and no.

If people recommend stuff to me because they like it rather than because its mainsteam to like it i.e. A friend recommended Fire Emblem to me and its now one of my favorite game series the same with another friend recommending Fairy Tail Anime to me. Then I like recommendations.

Whereas Other Friends have recommended mainstream stuff thats popular to like such as Breaking bad, Game of thrones, the hunger games the inbetweeners etc which i tend not to look into or have looked into but not really liked. I don't like recommendations.

I also love finding new games and shows by myself rather than being recommended.

Years
  • It really depends on who's recommending what. I usually value the recommendations of those who know my tastes, or those who recommend something explaining why I could like it. If someone I don't know really well recommends something to me I just say "maybe someday I'll check it out" but I never do that, because I can't get interested to it.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    For me, I always feel like it's a chore whenever my friend is like "oh hey you should watch this." I seriously prefer checking stuff out and trying new things when it is out of my own interest. If someone is basically suggesting it, then it loses my interest.

That's me right there. It feels like quite a hassle since I'm very resilient to people's suggestions. I usually don't trust much of anything and find it difficult to even get myself to put investment into a new thing. Just don't like wasting my time. Or money, because it usually costs a chunk of money to get invested in a new thing in general. And I don't like having to pay for something that I don't know I like yet.

But then again, most of the things people recommend to me, I do end up liking. Many of the major things in my life though have been discovered on my own. With the exception of Xenogears, which I most likely would not have played had my fiance not brought it with him when he moved in. It lead me to my major, most important interest in Xenosaga. So even though I'm resilient to to recommendations, I do appreciate them. Just... I'd rather not have somebody throw all their interests at me. Instead, I want a recommendation based on what they'd think I'd like, not what they like. A limited amount of recommendations is also best. I only want to be recommended the absolute best. Quality over quantity, because if you give me too much, I'll be overwhelmed and not end up following through with any of them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Only if its from luckrashanigans otherwise it probably sux most people don't bother to recc anything anyway they aren't tru fans of ANYTHING

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
    Years
  • I like it when someone recommends me anything and I appreciate it always, only if its not too personal

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Of course I do. Recommendations are a way of life, they allow you to discover new things.

Not to get confused with "suggestions", lol.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
  • Yes, definitely! :D It broadens my interests, & I'm open to trying things, haha. I try to give recommendations back myself, but only if I can actually think of something for that person if they ask.

I just don't like it when they try to force it upon me or if someone else tries to say that it's awful and that I shouldn't follow the other person's recommendation. That's great that you think it's awful, but I'd like to form my own opinion, thanks.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2016
    I'm fine with it. Especially when they recommend to my works like my projects, arts/architecture stuffs. But I don't like it when they recommend me with music, cause I have different taste in that and I want myself to find my music. But as for the other stuffs like food, clothing, etc..I'm okay with it.

Back