• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Releasing Pokémon

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • So, let's talk about one of the most underused mechanics in the game - releasing Pokémon from the PC. Have you ever done that? Do you think there's ever a reason to do so, given that there are no rewards and the amount of available PC space is quite large? I imagine you'll probably answer no to both of these, like me, since it's essentially useless.

Here's the actual question: How could the system be changed? In Pokémon Go, releasing Pokémon to get Candies is an important, even critical, aspect of the gameplay. Do you think something similar to this could be incorporated into the main series games, and how do you think that would work?

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • I have never released a Pokemon, and I never will (except in GO). I feel like offering an incentive to someone for getting rid totally of an asset would be fairly odd; they could trade it instead. Wonder Trade was basically made as an alternate to releasing, I think. And how would you give a reason for the reward?
    I agree it's pretty underutilized, but I'm over exaggerating my feelings on it to show some items that need to be discussed more.

Years
  • I did release Pokemon often, but Wonder Trade give me a better way to lessen my burden especially when breeding

Years
  • Back when I first started playing Pokemon as a child, I released my Charmander after I got it from Professor Oak believing I would be able to catch it in the wild...

Apart from that I can't remember releasing a Pokemon, it seems like a pointless feature unless you want to trim the PC down.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
  • It would actually be *really* cool if you had a chance, very low, of finding the Pokémon you released in the Grass around the town you released them at, at a very slightly higher level. Then, you'd have a chance at undoing dumb mistakes, you can use it as a minor leveling ability, and you could even use it to train, if you wanted, by releasing a lvl 100 Blissey with no good moves :p

Of course, it would be a less than 1/100 chance or something, I should think, and only take up a small amount of the encounter selection. I can elaborate more, if you'd like :P

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • I released all my "dex-filler" mons that I catch only for the purpose of filling in Pokedex.

I don't train any other pokemons except my regular team consists of 6~8 mons which I use them exclusively throughout the normal gameplay. Legendaries and shinies are forever boxed.

Purpzie

Probably the strangest person here.
    Years
  • Well, I had to release around 4 boxes of male Fennekins I didn't need after breeding a shiny one. At first I was pretty reluctant since it really is "deleting" them, but I didn't want to just keep them since they'd take up that space. Wonder trading them off would have taken forever, anyways.

Sirfetch’d

Yep I do all of the time! I often release Pokemon that I've bred and are too poor for Wonder Trading or if I catch a Pokemon in the wild and it turns out to have a useless nature.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Mostly just breeding attempts, or pokemon with a really stupid OT/Nickname.

Guest123_x1

I rarely ever release Pokémon. Just about the only time I would do so is to get rid of duplicates that I feel aren't so good. I'm often afraid that I'm going to accidentally release a Legendary or Mythical Pokémon when working in the PC's storage system.

t0gekiss

The only time I ever release pokes is when they're hacked ones from wonder trade, that's pretty much it.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    A lot of people release a lot of pokemon at a time, but I usually release 5 at a time, because that's how many eggs I hatch at a time.It usually takes a bit longer then releasing them all at once but I don't wanna deposit them because that takes too much time to check my PC 2x as much.
    I could also soft reset but that too takes a bit more time.

So I just hatch a team of eggs and release them all at the same time instead of Boxes at a time.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • Every single competitive player and shiny collectomania is "obligated" to do this.

You don't need to feel guilty about this, because that is just the way how things work if you need a perfect IV pokemon and/or shiny from breeding.

Back