• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remember Pokemon Origins?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
    Y'know, that animated special that aired 7 years ago? What did you think of it? Favourite scenes? Feel free to discuss!

I think I did see it back in the day, was actually pretty good from what I can remember. I was very surprised to find out it's available in english, I thought it never left jap.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
    Y'know, that animated special that aired 7 years ago? What did you think of it? Favourite scenes? Feel free to discuss!

I think I did see it back in the day, was actually pretty good from what I can remember. I was very surprised to find out it's available in english, I thought it never left jap.

1.I love it, but it's a shame they used generation 3 Red instead of generation 1 one, and they skipped the gym battles, also the hatered towards Jolteons continues, Red's Jolteon is very useless and it lost to an water pokemon! What gives?
    2.Yeah it left japan, there's even an german dub, but not in polish, i wonder who would play Red? A male? Or an female like in the japanese version🤔

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    I thought it was great. The animation, the battles, the animalistic growls, the overall tone, etc... It's a pity that it was limited to four episodes and they had to truncate the gym battles and Elite Four...

The only thing I actually disliked was their decision to shove the mega stone/evolution into what was for the most part a pretty faithful adaptation of the Kanto storyline.

also the hatered towards Jolteons continues, Red's Jolteon is very useless and it lost to an water pokemon! What gives?

What about it? Type advantage is not (and never was) the only factor in a battle.

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
    What about it? Type advantage is not (and never was) the only factor in a battle.

Oh. Still it seems the animators wanted an epic battle of Blastoise and Charizard so they went with that

The only thing I actually disliked was their decision to shove the mega stone/evolution into what was for the most part a pretty faithful adaptation of the Kanto storyline.

I dunno, adding an evolution of Eevee into an Leafeon while leveling up in Viridian Forest etc. would do much better

Also speaking of which, i thought that Magikarp salesman was just to troll us to get an useless pokemon for a prize, but yet Red's brouth it? What gives? I thought Red's smarter than Ash 😮

The Pokemon tower scene was soften down too, i geuss based on this scene, the players would think to just catch an Cubone and calm mrs. Marowak down (It was later used in Let's go Eevee thought)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    Oh. Still it seems the animators wanted an epic battle of Blastoise and Charizard so they went with that

Well, that too. But there's nothing necessarily wrong about a Pokémon losing despite having a type advantage.

Also speaking of which, i thought that Magikarp salesman was just to troll us to get an useless pokemon for a prize, but yet Red's brouth it? What gives? I thought Red's smarter than Ash 😮

It can be seen as a scam, but it also allows you to get a Gyarados much earlier than you would get otherwise. In the long run, it's not entirely a foolish decision to buy the Magikarp. Anyway, it's not like Red is not allowed to make a wrong decision.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Yeah, I remember it. I thought it was a pretty good special series. Red was really cool in it, as well as Blue. I wish they'd have done more of these with the other game protagonists, though, but I guess we had Pokemon Generations for that. I suppose that's fine, though. I think my favorite of the episodes was definitely the Cubone episode... I'd probably watch this special series again, if I could find it in Japanese, but I don't think I will again for awhile, since I rewatched it recently.

Years
    1.I love it, but it's a shame they used generation 3 Red instead of generation 1 one, and they skipped the gym battles, also the hatered towards Jolteons continues, Red's Jolteon is very useless and it lost to an water pokemon! What gives?
    2.Yeah it left japan, there's even an german dub, but not in polish, i wonder who would play Red? A male? Or an female like in the japanese version🤔

Glad I'm not the only one to notice Jolteon getting destroyed or ignored in the anime, no matter the series.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
    Glad I'm not the only one to notice Jolteon getting destroyed or ignored in the anime, no matter the series.

Wow i'll take it as a respect to them (your post), seriusly, i plan to use the Jolteon in the DP anime that was left to death to be a playable character in my future RPG Maker 2000 crossover game becuase of how i felt sorry for it :( x| Also what happend to Ethan's Jolteon anyway? Did it die?

Still i know it only applies to an abridged parody, but Vaporeons also get bad reputation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfbF-cdyJRE poor little mermaid cat/dog things😱

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Origins was seven years ago?!

It was good, I haven't started Twilight Wings yet, but prior, Origins was my favorite special series they've done so far.

Years
    It was pretty good. I enjoyed watching Red's adventures in an animated version even if it wasn't that long. MCX vs Mewtwo was a great fight and one of my favorites ever. I also agree it is better than that current anime in certain things.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Watched Pokemon Origins recently and enjoyed all four episodes. I thought it was very faithful to the first gen games apart from the mega evolution part, but hey don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. The Magikarp scam was pretty funny, and also the part when Red tried to catch another trainer's pokemon, I'm sure we've all been noobs like that at one point! 😀

trainer_nokachi

the trainer who wanders ~
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    As much as I enjoyed Pokemon Origins, I think it would have been better if it was a fully fleshed out series as opposed to what we got.

Y'know, that animated special that aired 7 years ago?

i immediately went to google when i read this and omg you're right.... it's been this long??

i loved origins! these episodes were really cool and powerful, and like others, do wish we got a longer series out of them. I hope we'll see more specials like these as time goes on! twilight wings gives me hope we will.

Back