• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Report: Nintendo to release a Pokemon game for the NX within 6 months of launch

Karous

Captain Obvious
Years
  • Unlike other NX rumors, this one seems credible as the source is a UK trade organization and this news was reported by many reputable/well-known tech and gaming media outlets:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2016/0...nd-pokemon-games-within-six-months-of-release

https://www.polygon.com/2016/8/4/12375932/nintendo-nx-launch-games-report

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/pok-mon-zelda-mario-may-174137809.html

https://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

What do you guys think this game will be?

The report states that Gamefreak will be the developer so I think a spinoff is unlikely. I also don't think it'll be a sequel to Colosseum or XD or an original RPG due to its close proximity to the release of Sun and Moon - since the NX will launch in March 2017, the latest the NX Pokemon game will come out is September 2017, which is 10 months or less from Sun and Moon and not much time or resources to develop a fully functional console RPG.

I'm thinking maybe a Pokemon Stadium 3/PBR 2 with some added features is most likely based on the currently available information. Who knows, though, could be anything!

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • Yes, non-spinoff Pokemon games take longer than that to make, so it's not a sequel.

I've heard say that it may be a port of Pokken Tournament.

Which could make some sense for multiple reasons, one of them being that Pokken doesn't feel quite finished anyway.

But it could also simply be a port of Sun and Moon so people can play it on either the new or the old system.

Then again, they've never really done that multiple consoles thing before have they? Still, Pokemon sells consoles (as they're learned full well), so it wouldn't be a bad tradition to break.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • The report specifically mentions that Gamefreak is the developer of the NX Pokemon game, so it's very unlikely it's a port of Pokken. Pokken was developed by Bandai-Namco.

I really think this is exciting because Gamefreak only develops main series games; spinoffs are outsourced to other devs. A console Pokemon game developed by Gamefreak is surely not something to be disappointed by!

Interesting take though, even if it's not a port of Sun and Moon, it's very very likely that the console game will be compatible with them. Like how Stadium/PBR/Colosseum/XD were compatible with the main series games of their generation.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • This is very interesting! I was hoping for an Colosseum/XD follow-up but I don't really think that's likely given how long it has been since the release of XD. Either way though it sounds like a cool project that I'm looking forward to hearing about.

Delgalatchi

Developing Pokemon Generations!
    Years
  • Oh really? A game developed by GameFreak? Well my hopes are put up for a good non-spinoff, even though it probably shouldn't considering how they have 10 months to finish, but then again, I COULD be wrong :P

Last edited:

sCam

Killing is a pleasure
    Years
    • ny
    • Seen Dec 18, 2016
    Pokemon Stadium 3 is long overdue.

F Battle Revolution.

Kabocha❤

Feeling sleepy...
    Years
  • Sounds very interesting, with the inclusion of the trading between RBY and SM it looks like Game Freak will be focusing on connecting the games and bridging the gaps between them. A spin off would be interesting to see.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I think its a Pokémon Spin-off as well, I say maybe either something similar to Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Pokémon XD/Colosseum, or Pokémon Ranger. Maybe more of Pokémon Ranger or XD/Colosseum because they are more due for a sequel spin-off than MD but MD is more appealing to players..
    But maybe its a port of Pokken someone mentioned earlier, considering it's success and them wanting to expand it.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • This is false, because it mentioned both Pokémon and Mario appearing at launch when Miyamoto already stated that the next Mario game will be revealed in next year's E3, which will be months after the NX's release.

AceTheHanyou

ShakeTheHanyou
    Years
  • A mega pokemon game featuring all 7 regions.
    With total character customization!
    Hopefully dialogue, death to mute players.
    In-Game tournament.
    Online mode
    Major Nintendo sponsored Online Pokemon Tournament.
    This is what Im looking for

t0gekiss

This is, unfortunately, most likely to be a Pokemon spinoff :/ Hopefully it'll be similar to the main series games, like Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I mean its possible gamefreak might dabble in other areas for once?

Ehhhh who am i kidding this will make an awesome main series game if its actually on a new console :3

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • This is, unfortunately, most likely to be a Pokemon spinoff :/ Hopefully it'll be similar to the main series games, like Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness.

My favourite games are the spinoffs, actually. Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Ranger... Great series, more fun to play than the traditional ones in my experience! (Though I admit PMD does get just as chore-like as the main games do, after a while.)

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I kinda doubt it, and it most definatly won't be a main series game as NX is supposed to be completly different from the Wii U and 3ds.

Back