• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Restart the Game?

Nidorina of Time Lord

Waiting for the Sun to come...
Years
  • This is an option I've been considering for a little while no. I'm thinking of restarting my game of Omega Ruby and going through the story again.

I have been playing since Christmas, have a full dex, complete story and a full time of 999:59.

Has anyone else done this one or more times? Did you regret anything? Is it worth it?

Here are my pros and cons.

������
    To restart or not?

Pros
    I can try for a female Treecko
    I can change my name
    Cheaper than buying Alpha Sapphire or another copy of Omega Ruby
    ($0.00 vs. $30-40)
    I can start the story over again

Would give me something new to do.

Focus more on my team, with less Pokémon to care for.

Cons

I would lose everything in my bag, including my 6 Master Balls (all generous donations from GTS!)
    My friend will probably rage at me.
    (Even though it's solely my account!)

I won't have my shiny charm anymore. It took me 4 months to earn.

Re gaining the shiny charm will be so hard, as I no longer have every Pokémon

Some parts of the game were hard to complete.

I might regret it

If I restart...
    I can use Pokémon Bank to preserve all my Pokémon and transfer them over.

I might miss my old game

If I don't...
    I will forever wonder what could have been. I will probably go insane and buy a new game, which will cost all the money I saved up.

It would be great to hear from someone who's done or considered it!

Was it a weighty decision, or did you know what you'd choose from the start?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I did this not too long ago on my Red version, I wasn't nearly complete(still needed to fill the dex) but I moved away from my friend who had Blue and I don't even know if he still has it, I never see him more than once ever few months.

I went through the pros and cons and realized that I could replay a great adventure with a new team by my side, a team I never used before, maybe a nuzlocke, who knows? Also I'm not familiar with Pokemon Bank, does it allow held items on the Pokemon? If so you don't have to lose those Master Balls after all!

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
  • I did this not too long ago on my Red version, I wasn't nearly complete(still needed to fill the dex) but I moved away from my friend who had Blue and I don't even know if he still has it, I never see him more than once ever few months.

I went through the pros and cons and realized that I could replay a great adventure with a new team by my side, a team I never used before, maybe a nuzlocke, who knows? Also I'm not familiar with Pokemon Bank, does it allow held items on the Pokemon? If so you don't have to lose those Master Balls after all!

The Bank is an app that lets you store Pokémon from all 6th gen games to transfer between them. Sadly, you cannot store items in it. It's a bummer since the thing costs 4.99 a year

To save the master balls, I'd have to Gts Trade the Pokémon holding them to my other game. That means I have to turn on and off my system 6 times!

Only my sister has a 3DS besides me and no way would she let me use it. She's also the aforementioned friend, so if she finds out..

Years
  • Wait what?! I know it costs 5 bucks a year, but you'd think the Pokemon could have items on them. What if you wanted to store a Pokemon with their mega stone, or an event Pokemon with it's event item? That's just ridiculous.

Nidorina of Time Lord

Years
  • Wait what?! I know it costs 5 bucks a year, but you'd think the Pokemon could have items on them. What if you wanted to store a Pokemon with their mega stone, or an event Pokemon with it's event item? That's just ridiculous.

I know right?! Tell me about it. Anyway, I actually have 9 Master balls on there now, because I decided to reset Y. I'm considering doing the same on Omega Ruby. So now, I would have to do 9 total exchanges!

But I really feel the need to restart Y. I'm a grass type lover yet I picked Fennekin. We went through the whole game, but it just doesn' t feel right. I'm restarting for Chespin.

I wish I could easily make up. my mind for OR!

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
    Years
  • I've reset multiple games, multiple times, the latest being a new run of X ( I think I've done X at least 4-5 times already...).

I really think the pros outweigh the cons. Items you wish to keep can be traded back into the game (personally, I never needed more than 1 master ball anyway), you can get the shiny charm again by transferring all your Pokemon to the Pokemon Bank then transferring it out and breeding for the ones you missed out (I keep a living dex handy for Pokedex completion purposes), and difficult to complete parts will become easier the 2nd time around (trust me).

The only thing I cannot help you with is your friend - my sister rages at me for the smallest of reasons and I have yet to find a way to stop her. :P

Back