• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Returning Characters

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Saw this in a recent leak:

All Champions from previous games are able to battled on the S.S. Anne while they're bored. The S.S. Anne brings you to the districts.

This matches up with what was posted in a Chinese leak about a month ago:

- S.S Anne appears in the game

- Looker, Cynthia, Blue, Zinnia, AZ, and Lance all make appearances
    Could the S.S. Anne be returning as a sort of pared-down PWT? Assuming the leak is valid, that is.

Assuming we're still in the XY/ORAS timeline, I wonder if the characters (besides Steven and Diantha) will have new/different designs? I also wonder if Wallace will even be there, since ORAS retconned him out of being a Champion.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years

All Champions from previous games are able to battled on the S.S. Anne while they're bored. The S.S. Anne brings you to the districts.

Could the S.S. Anne be returning as a sort of pared-down PWT? Assuming the leak is valid, that is.

Assuming we're still in the XY/ORAS timeline, I wonder if the characters (besides Steven and Diantha) will have new/different designs? I also wonder if Wallace will even be there, since ORAS retconned him out of being a Champion.

ZINNIA OMG I WANT HER BACK SO BAAAAAAAD.

It would be cool if that was true. I'd love to see my sweet Cynthia(and Zinnia) again in 3D :3

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years

It's implied in the Delta Episode that Steven eventually gives up his position to Wallace. Anyways I would LOVE for this to be real, S.S Anne for nostalgia (yes I know Gen 1 pandering but this one I'm kinda okay with) and seeing the Champions again but now in 3D would be awesome, especially since my two favourites are mentioned. Seeing Adler again would also be amazing, as I feel he didn't get enough time to shine. Plus, dat hair. Although, I'd much prefer the PWT. Maybe a boat could take us to Unova instead? (but say Driftveil is closed off or something). PWT would be the best way to bring back old characters, since it doesn't even have to make sense (Why is Giovanni there? And Red finally decided to come out of hiding?) and brings back the most amount of characters.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I can see how Zinnia would fit into S/M assuming they have links to X/Y. We have no idea what the plot of these games are just yet, but it seems like she had some unfinished business from ORAS so I wouldn't be surprised to see her pop up somewhere.

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    I actually enjoyed Looker's side quest in X/Y. Glad that he also returned in ORAS, even if it was only a minor appearance. Zinnia also had an enjoyable post game quest. Hopefully the two of them make a return, maybe we could learn more about their history as well.

Years
    I can really see Marlon making a cameo appearance, I mean Alola is perfect for him. Aside from that I'd love to see a lot of old characters (Oak, Red, Blue etc) return with it being the 20th anniversary and all, my guess is we'll see them post-game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Wallace was a Champion in the original games, so I'd imagine it'd be kinda nuts to not include him as someone to battle.

I know that, but the issue is ORAS. They're the "current" timeline's version of Hoenn, and they didn't include any of the Emerald exclusives (such as Wallace being a Champion).

Mega Evolutions present another issue. Assuming Megas are still in the games, it would make sense to give all of the Champions Megas as their aces. However, I've been hearing several rumors that there won't be any new Megas in Sun/Moon, which could create problems for some of the Champions.

Blue (Kanto Starters, Tyranitar), Red (Kanto Starters), Steven (Metagross), Cynthia (Garchomp), and Diantha (Gardevoir) are already set, but what about the others?

While Lance and Wallace (assuming he would be included) have Pokémon that can Mega Evolve (Gyarados, Aerodactyl, Charizard), it makes zero sense for those to be their Megas and not their aces (Dragonite and Milotic), the Pokémon most associated with them. Alder and Iris are even more screwed over, thanks to no Gen 5 Pokémon besides Audino having Megas.

Though I honestly wonder what the point of AZ making an appearance is, unless he's just there for you to battle him. I'm still kind of expecting him to have no plot connection whatsoever with the game, unless Game Freak is planning on giving him more background.

Well, these games will have the Zygarde formes, so there might be some sort of postgame sidequest that ties back into XY/Kalos. But, yeah, I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Gonna give this a bump and leave this here with the recent discussion of Colress potentially being in S/M.

Spoiler:

So with that in mind, any thoughts on this?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Gonna give this a bump and leave this here with the recent discussion of Colress potentially being in S/M.

Spoiler:

So with that in mind, any thoughts on this?

Alright I'm here I'm ready.

First thing I want to point out is his quotation, "It's so frustrating! If only we could talk to Pokémon in order to bring out their power! But there's no way a person like that could ever exist!" is meant to be dramatic irony--the player knows very well a person like that exists, but Colress doesn't (a nearby NPC even makes mention of this). It doesn't reference the RotomDex or any other technology that allows Pokémon to communicate with people. Rather, it references N.

The idea that he later went to work on a device to allow people and Pokémon to communicate together, though, could be stretched to apply to the RotomDex. But if he works in the Aether Corp. too and was behind the creation of the RotomDex, that would warrant him being more than just a simple cameo, no?

All his talk about bringing out the true potential in Pokémon could apply to Z-Moves (we still don't know if they're going to make them out to be something that "requires a strong bond" or not) but it really sounds a lot more connected to Mega Evolution (the hiker reference in XY points to this, too). When Colress challenges you to rematches in the post-game of B2W2 he even says "The invisible force that exists between you and your Pokémon... This time I will determine what it is!" It's way easier to imagine that "invisible force" as being the concept of "strong bonds" which we already know is used in the lore of Mega Evolution. Sure Z-Moves could make use of it too but then--I dunno, maybe it would feel a bit too repetitive? It's just an attack, after all. And wouldn't it make more sense for Prof. Kukui, the professor who studies Pokémon attacks, to be more involved in that area of study?

In summary, I can totally imagine Colress playing some part in the creation of the technology used in Alola. And he's one of my most favorite series characters so I would totally love to see it happen. But if that does end up happening--I feel he would be just important enough to have an "upgrade" to his team, and the most appropriate would honestly be "Mega Klinklang." But in regards to that happening, well, we'll have to see... As a big fan of his character, it would be disappointing to see him in the games but still not have achieved the power he's been researching so thoroughly (think: all the fans who got excited by seeing the new ORAS NPC with Flygon as his ace only to be heartbroken by it still not having a Mega).

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
    It doesn't matter if they don't really play a major role (but I would like that), what matters is that they're there. So relieved Sycamore's assistants make a return.

Also, I hope someone as mysterious as N or Zinnia returns.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    Kinda of a stretch but I wouldn't be surprised if the Kimono girls came back from the dancing birds lol..

+ wouldn't be surprised if Lance & Cynthia made a comeback to the game

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    It has to be my sweet Cynthia *-* I want to see her in 3D! And, I'm with colours, Zinnia has to make an appearance. She's such a cool and mysterious character, and I would love to learn more about her, but for some reason I can't see her fitting in Alola :/

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    "Oh my, is that a wild KABUTO!? Let's capture it!"
    "Why does it only know flail? No matter. Pokeball go!"
    tick...
    tick...
    tick...
    ping!
    "Huh, the ball's making a strange noise..."
    (Shake shake shake)
    Puts to ear:
    "Let me out of here! I'm Bill! I'm not a pokemon!"

blue

gucci
    Years
    Honestly, Cynthia and Zinnia both returning would be the best possible scenario. I love these two characters for totally different reasons, but seeing them with updated models and having them being part of the latest plot would just be great!

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2019
    I'd really love to see some returning characters!

Seeing as we have an Alolan Oak, I wouldn't be surprised if the original Oak came by to visit his 'lil cousin. Seeing as these are the 20th anniversary games too, it'd be epic to see a comeback from Red and Blue. And..who knows, maybe we'll see Ash.

I think it's possible for AZ to return, for the reasons Hikamaru explained.

I'm honestly tired of Looker, actually.

I'd like to see Zinnia again too, she's cool.

But most of all, I really want to see N return. He's my favorite character in Pokemon and I'm curious as to what happened after he left in Gen.5.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Diantha Pl0x <3
    Sign me up for the one-two Diantha-Pokéstar Studios comeback-combo!

But most of all, I really want to see N return. He's my favorite character in Pokemon and I'm curious as to what happened after he left in Gen.5.
    rolls into the stratosphere because if this happened it's probably because N's still searching for the BW protagonist and I already couldn't handle it if N made an appearance but just imagine my poor little heart help

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Sign me up for the one-two Diantha-Pokéstar Studios comeback-combo!

rolls into the stratosphere because if this happened it's probably because N's still searching for the BW protagonist and I already couldn't handle it if N made an appearance but just imagine my poor little heart help

I still think that Diantha has so much un used potential and I would love to see it in action

Back