• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Gen 7] Revisiting Alola: a monotype challenge run!

Sorvete

Novice
Years
  • Revisiting Alola: a monotype challenge run!
    Ultra Sun Mono-Psychic Run
    Revisiting Alola: a monotype challenge run!

Hello!

With me just recently finding this new little section and seeing people create their own journals, I decided to come and play along with you all! I figured I wanted to travel through Alola again and this time in the form of a Monotype Challenge! Psychic is my favorite type, so it wasn't hard to decide which one I wanted to go with.

The following rules will apply to this run:

-I can only Pokémon who share a specified typing. In this case, it's Psychic.
    -X-items are banned from usage in battle. Pokémon may hold items, however.
    -The game must be played on Set mode.
    -The use of the Experience Share is banned.

A pretty simple set of rules, but nonetheless I think I'm gonna have fun in this journey!

Last edited:

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Chapter 1
    Melemele Island

The sun rises in the Alola region, and now my watch adventure begins. I received a call last night from the Pokémon Professor Kukui telling me I'm gonna get my first Pokémon! Mom came upstairs saying she should finish unpacking and I should dress up to meet the professor.

So I left home, and Kukui was waiting for me a few steps from my house. from the starters he presented me, I chose the Grass-type one: Rowlet!

Some other stuff happened on that day but that's not important. In the next day, Kukui finally let my journey get started and gave me some Poké balls. With that, I was able to catch the first actual member of the team:

Welcome to the team, Sunshine! Took a long time to find you and definitely not because I was looking in the wrong grass. I spent a long time grinding some levels in the grass to face Hau at Iki Town, and when Sunshine reached level 9 I gained the confidence to go on.

The battle turned out pretty uneventful. Hau's Pichu kept spamming Charm and Tail Whip and I was able to slowly whittle it down with Thunder Shock. Next was Popplio and that one was significantly easier to defeat.

When I resumed my adventure in the following night, I managed to catch two other friends in the area below: Aquamarine the Inkay and Caleb the Slowpoke! When training them both, Inkay tried to learn this:

A move with 95 power at level 8 is disgustingly powerful, especially when it uses the enemy's attack. This turned out to be extremely busted later on.

I didn't catch anything else at the Trainer's School and beat the teacher easily with Foul Play. I also got a new look at the city:

I'd say this pink shirt makes me a Psychic-type expert already.

Anyways, I caught a Mime Jr. called Regina in Hau'oli and also tried to get an Abra...

... but I decided I was not in the mood to deal with Teleport at that moment.

Ilima is the next fight, but that'll wait until the next chapter!

The Team

Pichu (Sunshine) | Nature: Rash | Static
    Moves: Thunder Shock, Charm, Tail Whip, Sweet Kiss
    Level 10

Inkay (Aquamarine) | Nature: Docile | Contrary
    Moves: Foul Play, Peck, Tackle, Reflect
    Level 11

Slowpoke (Caleb) | Nature: Impish | Own Tempo
    Moves: Tackle, Curse, Yawn, Water Gun
    Level 9 @ Quick Claw

Mime Jr. (Regina) | Nature: Brave | Soundproof
    Moves: Confusion, Pound, Copycat, Meditate
    Level 10

Last edited:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Yeah.... I wouldn't want to deal with Abra teleporting away even though I love the Abra line. I love the nicknames you've given. Looking forward to future updates!

#Not Important

All hail the wishmaker
    Years
  • Sunshine fits a Pichu so well... I wish I was that good at names.
    In my Pokemon Insurgence run (nuzloke) , I decided all of my nicknames were going to end with 'boi'.
    When I ran into a Nidoran Female, I named it 'Not a boi'

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Chapter 2
    Melemele Island

I continued my trip through Hau'oli when I and Hau got ambushed by a couple of Team Skull goons. We easily defeated them, and Hau ran away to eat some malasada I guess. Ilima stopped by and thanked me for dealing with the thugs. He also challenged me to a battle.

The battle was really biased, Foul Play really does wonders. Aquamarine was able to one- or two-shot his whole team with that. After the fight, Ilima invited me to take on his trial, so I did. The trial took place inside Verdant Cavern, where, in a battle against a Gumshoos, Sunshine learned Nasty Plot.

After defeating the three trial Pokémon (and Team Skull as a bonus) the Totem Pokémon finally appeared!

It was another Gumshoos. The remedy for this is obviously Foul Play. I led with Aquamarine and set up a Reflect, the Gumshoos tried to lower my speed but, thanks to Contrary, raised it instead. Three Foul Plays were able to take it out and the ally Yungoos fell to a few of them too. Just like that, the first trial was completed!

So I left Verdant Cavern and, after watching Kukui make some moves, went on straight to Route 3. I found Lillie at the meadow asking me to rescue Nebby, who apparently got lost in a cave. I accepted the request, obviously. Inside the cave, I found a Smoochum and added her to my team. After a couple of battles, Regina evolved into a Mr. Mime!

Pichu also finally evolved! And after she had learned Nasty Plot, thankfully.

I found Nebby and battled Dulse, the creepy guy from the Ultra Recon Squad or whatever. Regina handled his Furfrou with Confusion, and I was able to retrieve Nebby safely.

We all returned to Iki Town where Hala challenged me to my first Grand Trial. I accepted.

He leads with Machop and I lead with Regret the Smoochum. Regret throws a Confusion at it, but one Revenge easily one-shots her. I brought Caleb out to finish it off. Next is his ace, Crabrawler. Caleb keeps spamming confusion, while Crabrawler keeps hitting him with Pursuit, bringing him to 1 HP. The last Confusion was able to confuse the Crabrawler, forcing Hala to use a Full Heal and waste a turn. That was the perfect opportunity for Caleb to hit another Confusion and finish it off. I switched him out against Makuhita and brought out Regina to make a cleanup. I win the fight, and my Grand Trial is completed! Good job, team.

The Team

Pikachu (Sunshine) | Nature: Rash | Static
    Moves: Thunder Shock, Charm, Nasty Plot, Sweet Kiss
    Level 16

Moves: Foul Play, Topsy-Turvy, Psywave, Reflect
    Level 16

Slowpoke (Caleb) | Nature: Impish | Own Tempo
    Moves: Tackle, Curse, Confusion, Water Gun
    Level 15 @ Quick Claw

Mr. Mime (Regina) | Nature: Brave | Soundproof
    Moves: Confusion, Brick Break, Mimic, Meditate
    Level 16 @ Expert Belt

Smoochum (Regret) | Nature: Serious | Forewarn
    Moves: Confusion, Powder Snow, Lick, Sweet Kiss
    Level 15 @ Never-Melt Ice

Last edited:
    Years
  • Today I spent an eternity catching Smoochum myself on Ultra Moon, so the nickname put a smile on my face. Also Mr. Mime is great, I hope your Regina will stay on your team for the rest of the game.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Chapter 3
    Akala Island

After I beat the Grand Trial of Melemele, It was time to head to the next island, Akala. I met with Hau and Kukui near the marina and they said I should reach Akala by surfing on Mantine. I, having a lack of free will, was forced to do that. Wasn't too bad though.

We all met again at Heahea City and a guy named Dexio challenged me to a battle. He's also a Psychic-type user, and Inkay was able to easily take down his Espeon after Caleb had dealt with Mime Jr.

Akala had three trials. The first one is a Water-type trial, and on my way we had a lot of fights, particularly one with an ominous guy by the name of Gladion, and at the end of it everyone was on pair with the trial levels.

After battling a couple of Wishiwashi and Dewpider the Totem appeared. It was an Araquanid, and this one was a tough cookie. It took me a couple of tries until I decided to change my strategy of leading with Raichu and instantly dying to a Leech Life, and instead with Mr. Mime. I used some Confusions to chip it down while it attacked me with Bubble. When I was one Bubble short of dying, I used an Encore so the thing would continue to use the same move. After Mr. Mime fainted I then switched to Raichu and beat the ally Dewpider and Masquerain with Charge Beam, while also raising my special attack by two stages. Once I dealt with them, I used a couple of Psychics on the Araquanid and brought it to red health. After Raichu fainted in that turn, I sent out Smoochum to finish the job.

Once I got access to the Lapras Paddle after the trial, I went back to Melemele and to Kala'e Bay, where I caught a Slowbro by SOS calling. Sorry Caleb, but Shelly will be your replacement!

I tutored Slowbro some moves and she made the Fire trial very trivial. Hydro Vortex was able to almost OHKO the Marowak, but one more Water Pulse finished it off. The type disadvantage didn't even matter!

The Grass trial was next, and for that I caught an Oricorio on Route 6 to help me out. While I was there I also caught a Ralts named Dallas, who replaced Mr. Mime. Sorry, Janp!

When everyone was leveled up it was time to fight Lurantis. The fight was probably as annoying as Araquanid, with Synthesis and Comfey being major problems here. I had to, again, change my strategy. I led with Slowbro (who could surprisingly take a Solar Blade) and used Signal Beam. I was able to fire off two Signal Beams since Lurantis had to charge up Solar Blade on the second turn, and after she fainted, brought Oricorio out and used Supersonic Skystrike. Lurantis was down and Comfey didn't take long to faint.

With all three trials in Akala completed, it was time to challenge the Grand Trial. Olivia lived in Konikoni, and so I went there, going through Diglett's Tunnel and fighting Team Skull once again.

In Akala Outskirts, just outside Konikoni, I caught a timid Natu and tamed him Tiki. I leveled up everyone (with Natu evolving!), fought another member of Team Skull called Plumeria (easily beat her with Raichu), and went to challenge Olivia. I led with the new member Xatu and finished off the Anorith with two Air Slash. I chipped Lileep down by a little bit until Xatu fainted. Brought in Raichu who was able to finish Lileep off with two Psychics. Lycanroc one shot Raichu with Bite and I brought out Slowbro. One bite did about a third of its health and Shelly OHKO'ed the ace with the water Z-move. The Grand Trial is completed!

My next destination is the Hano Grand Resort, which I'll be heading onto soon!

The Team

Raichu (Sunshine) | Nature: Rash | Surge Surfer
    Moves: Charge Beam, Psychic, Nasty Plot, Thunder Wave
    Level 28 @ Expert Belt

Moves: Foul Play, Topsy-Turvy, Hypnosis, Psybeam
    Level 28 @ Amulet Coin

Smoochum (Regret) | Nature: Serious | Forewarn
    Moves: Confusion, Powder Snow, Lick, Sing
    Level 24

Slowbro (Shelly) | Nature: Relaxed | Oblivious
    Moves: Confusion, Water Pulse, Disable, Signal Beam
    Level 28 @ Waterium Z

Kirlia (Dallas) | Nature: Docile | Trace
    Moves: Draining Kiss, Magical Leaf, Calm Mind, Misty Surge
    Level 28 @ Eviolite

Xatu (Tiki) | Nature: Timid | Synchronize
    Moves: Air Slash, Ominous Wind, Stored Power, Confuse Ray
    Level 28 @ Sharp Beak

Back