• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Rival Blue challenged you to a battle!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Rival Blue challenged you to a battle!

Serving as the first Pokémon rival we've seen in the official games, what do you think of Blue? Now looking back after six generations of Pokémon rivals, did you think he was a good rival compared to the others? How did he stack up in your eyes?

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I like blue, even though everyone thinks he's a douche. That's kind of the point! The fact that people dislike him means he successfully achieved his goal as an antagonist, from a written perspective, which is to be disliked. The fact that he is not only hated by the players sympathizing with their character, Red, but also genuinely by the players themselves makes him more effective than other rivals we've seen that don't really arouse any sort of feeling in the player besides indifference, like Brandon/May or Barry.

He also has an okay team, making him one of the better Champions; at least you can't sweep his team with a single Pokémon like you can with, say, Lance or Wallace.

I don't think he's the best rival, but he's certainly not the worst, in my opinion. He's superior to those in X & Y, I'd say, and he's the oldest one!

I think he was great. That snarky behavior made him appear like an actual rival you'd want to defeat and it provided me a lot of satisfaction finally beating him in that final battle; put him in his place and was a pretty great accomplishment. So I agree with the above poster in that Blue had the aura of a rival you'd want to defeat which made him a good rival even if it set the bar pretty high, haha. Don't think any future rivals gave off that same feeling.

Years
    Blue was an interesting idea, in that starting the game with such a battle, with two lvl. 5 Pokémon against each other and only two moves each, was a strange way to make players interested in the thing, and makes Oak suspect because they just gave you a Pokémon and then indirectly forced you into a battle. This battle was then in many ways subject to what the game would refer to as 'luck,' or their being quite able to do things differently. People might have gone along with it because they assumed that everyone was going through that, but it does make all of the enthusiasm about 'Pokémon' as such seem suspect, especially since they didn't even need to pick the stronger Pokémon by type (which is an unnecessary move in the context), although their doing so is, again, a fairly annoying move - and, as we know that the games enjoy bringing up and explaining type differentials, seems designed to denigrate the choice of starter before people started doing anything. While it wasn't generally a difficult battle, it does seem to conflict with much of the game's publicity. But yeah, so, that's as to their chosen introduction into the gameplay.

Anyway, though, other than their being a gameplay element - which seems a slightly circular issue of 'this is Pokémon, you fight your 'rival,' then head up to find a gym leader named Brock for some reason (followed by a Misty, a Lt. Surge, then a plant gym, etc.),' before it's been established that having a rival is just something that people do in Pokémon games - they don't have that much character and that had to be supplanted by Gary Oak in the anime, seemingly. It does somewhat highlight that Blue is generally quite co-operative, though. Their Pokémon are generally speaking not that coherent a formation, and hence also reacts to the player in certain ways, but speaking of these they do basically come across as the game trying to imitate the player in their substantive decisions. People may have found it disorienting that such a character was just tagging along with them, and do seem to still be a bit quiet about such things. It does seem strange that in a sense the player isn't supposed to leave Pallet Town, and in a sense isn't told that they have to, which gives you your Pokémon, map of the rest, your target in terms of the Pokédex, your target otherwise, etc. - what is the rest pointing to, then? It seems a bit convenient that after saying that all of the stuff in Pallet Town is a 'pointer' to everything else that happens in the game, the battle with Blue turns out to re-occur near the end-game (admittedly before catching a Mewtwo elsewhere), which makes you question whether they needn't have just stopped there before throwing near-identical battles at you and the occasional Pokémon to catch. Still, he does somewhat make the game itself feel more sedate, rather than the more hectic progression it may well be otherwise inclined to take, and hence serves as a source of continuity.

The fact that people dislike him means he successfully achieved his goal as an antagonist, from a written perspective, which is to be disliked.
    Other than this isn't the WWE, if people dislike him as such, as in want him out, then they are criticising the game they aren't part of its real purpose. This can apply just as much to an antagonist as a protagonist, they aren't different in this (and it's a bit presumptuous to claim that the game thinks that highly of its 'protagonist,' namely the player, who could be anybody). Then they're just disliked, as a character, even if the 'protagonist' of the game has mixed feelings towards them.

That snarky behavior
    I don't think you'd call him 'snarky,' the word more associated with their negative traits was 'smarmy.' Anyway, you could've just said so if you wished to complain about their behaviour or its compatibility with the world of Pokémon (which mostly just sits there and lets Blue do 'mean' things seemingly without reacting, which doesn't make it seem too worth that bother), but bringing this complaint in question as such seems a strange way to reach that goal.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2016
    I think he did his job well. He was an arrogant SOB and I enjoyed beating him every time. Certainly even on 2nd or 3rd playthrough he was still relatively challenging (especially the Cerulean Bridge fight).

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I think he did his job well. He was an arrogant SOB and I enjoyed beating him every time. Certainly even on 2nd or 3rd playthrough he was still relatively challenging (especially the Cerulean Bridge fight).
    It was an amazing feeling wasn't it? I always loved proving him wrong and making him eat his words and swallow them back whole.

This "best friend"-type rival that future generations spawned was ok for the most part, but for me, it generated no real sense of satisfaction. For Blue's case, I wanted to be better than him. I wanted to be 10--no--15 levels higher than his highest leveled Pokemon just to show him how weak he really was. That's true competition and rivlary and that's how it should be.
    YES! I've said this so many times; mainly in regards to the Elite Four in the newer generation games, but the concept is still as easily applied here. I loved Blue for the fact that he was not only challenging, but he was an upstart. His attitude made it so satisfying to defeat and is what fed the rivalry between himself and the player. He'd always be that one step ahead. He'd certainly make sure you knew that too.

Years
    Am I really the only one who downright hated Blue? His snarky attitude always reminded me of how badly I get treated by bullies, and said bullying still haunts me today.

I also didn't like how he was literally ahead of you everywhere, and you have to overcome him as the final hurdle to become Kanto Champion. I understand why he has his fans, but I guess I'm just way more accustomed to the "friend" type of rival, because they don't pick on you like a bully and I dread bullies.

Back