• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Rom freezing in first battle

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2023
    Hello everybody

The FireRed rom that I was hacking freeze in the first battle using VBA Link. I made all the tests that i knew with a backup rom including:
    - to edit totally a pokémon (changing Mareep by Shinx), including moves, sprites, pokédex entries, cry, footprints, habitat, egg moves, etc.
    - to add a new item (Shiny Stone) and use as evolution method in database.

These was the changes that I made between the backup and the error and testing one by one, separately or together, showed no freezing, so i don't know what could be.
    I appreciate any help.
    Thank you.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Hello everybody

The FireRed rom that I was hacking freeze in the first battle using VBA Link. I made all the tests that i knew with a backup rom including:
    - to edit totally a pokémon (changing Mareep by Shinx), including moves, sprites, pokédex entries, cry, footprints, habitat, egg moves, etc.
    - to add a new item (Shiny Stone) and use as evolution method in database.

These was the changes that I made between the backup and the error and testing one by one, separately or together, showed no freezing, so i don't know what could be.
    I appreciate any help.
    Thank you.
    Is this FireRed? It may be because of the newly inserted Pokemon you did not being properly inserted or something similar. Fire Red does a check at the start of the battle to see if the wild Pokemon is captured/seen (if captured the little Pokeball appears on the Pokemon's HP box). Anyways, there's a loop through all the Pokemon in the dex which happens here (only IDs though IIRC). It may be something to do with that I suspect.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2023
    I understood, I think. But still seems strange to me cuz I don't edit the initial Pokémon and they are in first battle who froze, instead my edited Mareep.

Thank you for the answer, I'll do backups with more frequency to avoid these situations ^^

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I understood, I think. But still seems strange to me cuz I don't edit the initial Pokémon and they are in first battle who froze, instead my edited Mareep.

Thank you for the answer, I'll do backups with more frequency to avoid these situations ^^

Yeah unfortunately it doesn't stop once a starting Pokemon is found. It loops through the whole dex for some odd reason. I believe this is because there aren't any seperate functions for seen/caught in the case of trainer double battles, and so it runs the same code for both :x

Back