• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rom hacking as of now?

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2011
    How is the Rom hacking scene? I see that it isn't as lively as it once was, but how would you say it is doing? Still have good quality hacks or is it more of just people wanting to say they made a hack? Is it worth coming back to (if, like me, you want to give lots of people something enjoyable to do)? What are your thoughts, basically, on what is happening in the world of Rom hacking?

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen today
    It's slow seems like.

Most people just start a game, and don't finish, or finish only half a game. And most of the posts here are by the same people, in Q&A threads seems like.

If we moved on from third gen (ffs), which is hard yeah, but it would get more people I think.

It's slow seems like.

Most people just start a game, and don't finish, or finish only half a game. And most of the posts here are by the same people, in Q&A threads seems like.

If we moved on from third gen (ffs), which is hard yeah, but it would get more people I think.

Last edited:

Co500

Nostalgia Edition
    Years
  • It does not matter if a hack is finished or not, it depends on how much effort was put into it, there are loads of hacks out there that are not finished but still one of the most best and inspirational hacks that someone has made, for example Pokemon Naranja. Although I do agree that it is slowing down as new members quickly rush into hacks and expect it to be easy, there are still some good hackers and hacks here and show potential

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    Yeah, the rom hacking scene seems slow to me too. There are plenty of new hacks, but few that seem to be getting anywhere. From my perspective, I would say that this is because fewer people really take that time to learn how to hack well.

Co500 said:
    new members quickly rush into hacks and expect it to be easy

...and when they find out its not super easy, they get discouraged and lose the desire to continue. This almost happened to me when I first started. I tried to rush a hack and failed miserably. I learned from that mistake, and have spent all my hacking time since then learning. Now I am a far better hacker, and have far more motivation to continue than before.

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
    Years
  • Frankly, the only progress shown is still in 3rd Gen. People don't really care about that anymore, everyone wants 5th Gen (or at least 4th Gen). But since no progress is in that, nobody comes.

Plus, when people ask for help in those generations, they are ignored since nobody can provide a valid answer. This makes our community seem rude. Nobody wants to join a rude community.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • The hacks are definitely losing quality, but it's not worth turning away from. I think with Link's new 4th and 5th gen mapping tool we're about to see a hacking breakthrough.

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
    Years
  • I think it's mainly that most of the great ROM hackers have left. Some left due to personal reasons, others left because they feel the staff on this site treated them unfairly and because there are two many people on here that would rather be told how to do things then learn for themselves. In my opinion the only great ROM hacker left on here posted a couple posts up.

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
  • I think it's mainly that most of the great ROM hackers have left. Some left due to personal reasons, others left because they feel the staff on this site treated them unfairly and because there are two many people on here that would rather be told how to do things then learn for themselves. In my opinion the only great ROM hacker left on here posted a couple posts up.
    Ummm.... And who would that be? Hopefully Tcoppy cos he's on my team!

marcc5m

what
    Years

• Ummm.... And who would that be? Hopefully Tcoppy cos he's on my team!

...Darthatron.

Anyway, as Gamer2020 said, the problem is that people don't want to learn. Not all these people are bad hackers though and they might have potential but not if they just ask people to hold their hand through life.

war rock exe

Pokemon Colosseum Remaker!!
    Years
  • Well i've only been hacking for two years i still consider myself a horrible hacker. I think that all the good hackers had the inspriration to hack and didn't give up.
    I've giving up and hacks numerous times, but in the end i eventually come back to them, then give up again

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
    Years
  • Ummm.... And who would that be? Hopefully Tcoppy cos he's on my team!
    Thanks for makeing me laugh, I'm not the best hacker at all and never posted on this thread.

And hacking has become slower, I partially agree with Fireworks and Gamer2020,alot of people have talent to do anything they set their mind to when they practice, but people are to lazy (shocker because you sit at the computer all day when you hack xD)

It also comes to my attention that people are more hooked on DS games now (I can't even play a gba hack now after I found volt white O.O)
    We just need simple, easy, DS hacking tools so we can advance and it might help get so many great hackers and new hackers to come back and/or join.

Simple as that.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Considering there's still a strong scene for people hacking Super Mario World, and the Mega Drive Sonic series, I wouldn't call the age of a game that much of a detriment to hacking.

Maybe you should try finding some programming geniuses and creating one hell of a disassembly of a Pokémon game. (And to the dude below doing so to Red version that's what I'm talking about)

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    We just need simple, easy, DS hacking tools so we can advance and it might help get so many great hackers and new hackers to come back and/or join.
    And the lack of these tools is one of the reasons why this piped down state has fallen over PC's ROM Hacking. Because it's pokemon ROM Hacking that has piped down, not the whole scene in general.

Darthatron's post sums up the case correctly.

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
  • Frankly, the only progress shown is still in 3rd Gen. People don't really care about that anymore, everyone wants 5th Gen (or at least 4th Gen). But since no progress is in that, nobody comes.

I think that potentially a good thing, the less people wanting people or tools to do everything for them, the less junk we'll get in the Progressing Hacks and Showcase.

hinkage

Years
    • Seen today
    I think that potentially a good thing, the less people wanting people or tools to do everything for them, the less junk we'll get in the Progressing Hacks and Showcase.

No, it's bad. The community is dying, and no one has time/inspiration to make a really good tool for 4th/5th gen. Bad hacks are good, because while bad, there's a lot of them, and shows a lively community. That is important for attracting more new people, and maybe, hopefully, even bringing some old great hackers back.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Frankly, the only progress shown is still in 3rd Gen. People don't really care about that anymore, everyone wants 5th Gen (or at least 4th Gen). But since no progress is in that, nobody comes.
    I suggest that the reason most progress is in third gen is because people do care about it, and don't care enough about higher gens to do more stuff.

In the meantime, hacking for older gens continues at a steady pace. Two programs for picture compression in RBY were released just recently.
    No, it's bad. The community is dying,
    I see people say this every year, but the community marches on. I suspect it's just personal impressions changing.
    Bad hacks are good, because while bad, there's a lot of them, and shows a lively community. That is important for attracting more new people, and maybe, hopefully, even bringing some old great hackers back.
    Wait, so new people and old people alike are attracted by bad hacks? I think I would rather hang out with people who are inspired by good hacks.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2019
    And the lack of these tools is one of the reasons why this piped down state has fallen over PC's ROM Hacking. Because it's pokemon ROM Hacking that has piped down, not the whole scene in general.
    You should realize that the fact is exactly the opposite: pokemon ROM hacking going downhill in newer generations is the reason why you lack good tools for 4th generation (does a 5th gen really exist? I've been left behind 4 generations...).
    A rather underrated fact in this community is that if you don't know or can't do something you should try and figure it out on yourself, without flimsy excuses like "I just started out" (which is not a valid excuse at all). Everyone relies on others' help, so when others are missing, newbies refuses to learn on their own, they just decide to complain or leave.
    Since I joined ROM hacking (like 1 and half year ago), on PokeCommunity I've only seen just a couple of people actually building their own knowledge by themselves (excluding people that were already hacking, when I came), and it looks like they're the only ones who are leading 3rd gen hacking progress. Everone else relies on them.

Frankly, the only progress shown is still in 3rd Gen.
    Already pointed out, but anyway: ROM hackers are still doing nice progress in 1st and 2nd gen (two of them, a Drowsee and a Rocket grunt, already posted in this thread before me). You just don't notice it because Pokecommunity is basically only interested in 3rd gen.

In fact, if you would count a percentage of knowledge in ROMs' internal code locations and data stuctures, I'm pretty sure that 1st or 2nd gen easily overtakes 3rd (I know, I might seem biased...)

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    You should realize that the fact is exactly the opposite: pokemon ROM hacking going downhill in newer generations is the reason why you lack good tools for 4th generation (does a 5th gen really exist? I've been left behind 4 generations...).
    Well, if one wants and can, they make a tool. The actual need for a hacking tool doesn't come from the condition of the hacking scene, but rather from its existence. Anyway, the case is rather ambiguous, so...

And I also wanted to point out that a lot people-me included-are satisfied with the toolbox currently provided, but we are getting 'distracted'; for example, what would you prefer to play if you had the chance to play for free? A hack, or the (new) B/W series? (considering you haven't played either yet) Yeap, me too. Other games-or other pokemon games-are more preferred than the usual hacks nowadays. And if there is no will to play a hack, then there is no will to make one.

hinkage

Years
    • Seen today
    I suggest that the reason most progress is in third gen is because people do care about it, and don't care enough about higher gens to do more stuff.

In the meantime, hacking for older gens continues at a steady pace. Two programs for picture compression in RBY were released just recently.I see people say this every year, but the community marches on. I suspect it's just personal impressions changing.Wait, so new people and old people alike are attracted by bad hacks? I think I would rather hang out with people who are inspired by good hacks.

Yes, actually. Everyone has to think they're better than somebody. You know, good hacks to try to be like, bad hacks to try to be superior than. That's my viewpoint, anyway. Game design anywhere is a pretty fierce competition.

Community dying? Maybe not, but I'll reword it to say "not as lively as I've seen from posts in '08/early '09." (Before me, unfortunately >_>)

Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2017
    Although everyone makes a reasonable and valid point, i still see the problem lying somewhere else. My opinion is that the reason we feel the community is dying is due to the lack of quality in the activity we see. yes we see plenty of hacks that die within weeks, and yes that may show activity but in the long wrong, because it died so soon, it is actually pushing people away. Not only that, but most people come to the hacking community after playing such high quality games, such as Shiny Gold, or Sienna. So when they have the intentions of making a hack, they expect to be able to do such things, without understanding the knowledge that is actually needed to be able to do all the amazing stuff that is seen in the hack. I have been hacking for about 2 and half years now(on and off) and always seem to quit because i lack in the skill of asm(i have tried several times to try n learn but it seems soo odd and even tutorials start at such an advance level for most hackers). i feel the problem is lying with the difference that was made between the old and new generations of hackers. Before we seen people such as Hackmew, Manipulation, Colcolstyles, Darthatron, and so many more who just continuously excelled in producing new things for the hacking community with their knowledge. but now that many of them left(some may be moderators but have stepped away from actually hacking), they have left this new generation without the proper tools and such to create and stabilize a new generation. *Some may say that there are plenty of tutorials and guides that start from beginner to expert, but the idea of "I had to learn it by myself, so you should too" essentially holds us back. this idea forces new hackers to enter areas that are totally new to them, without any background information. I have thought of a basic analogy to view my thoughts- lets say you're the father and you are with your son, who is just about age to begin reading. sure you have spoken to him and he understand what you say to him, but just handing him a paper with the alphabet without telling him what sound each letter makes it will still just leave him in utter confusing.*

tl;dr - read the stuff within the *s

Hopefully this wasnt too long of a statement but if you take the time to read this, It will hopefully provide enough information to not only keeping talking about this issue but to actually try and form a solution to this problem. i dont have any ideas in mind but id like to see this thread lead into a thread which will provide some solutions to how to get the community more active and up the quality of not only the hacks but the hackers of the upcoming generation of hackers.

Last edited:
    Back