• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Complete] ROM Hacking Daily #1

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Here's the current layout:

- Introduction to the article series - Christos (feel free to post if you have any ideas for this part)

- Community ROM hack introduction and updates - Lost Heart

- PC Hack Awards announcement - Christos

- Daily Pick: Pokémon Ruby 2 and Saphire 2 (no release, just a few words) - 5qwerty

- Hack Spotlight: Pokémon StunningSteel - Z25

- Tips and Tricks: updating mechanics - Kostas

- Map Making contest - Christos

- Closing notes (nominations open for Daily Pick and Hack Spotlight) - Christos

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I can do the Featured Hacks, though I may need a little bit of guidance on which points to mention.

About Tips and Tricks, I can do a bit too, but it would have to be really basic stuff. I don't know too much about the assembly (or advanced features) side of ROM hacking, it would probably have to be shared with a professional.

Could we possibly also have a puzzle thing or a user map-submission thing so (in theory) there would be more interaction with our readers?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I can do the Featured Hacks, though I may need a little bit of guidance on which points to mention.

About Tips and Tricks, I can do a bit too, but it would have to be really basic stuff. I don't know too much about the assembly (or advanced features) side of ROM hacking, it would probably have to be shared with a professional.

Could we possibly also have a puzzle thing or a user map-submission thing so (in theory) there would be more interaction with our readers?

You can check out Ruby 2/Sapphire 2 and write a small paragraph on it, there is no release so there's not much to say, so maybe a bit about the story, if there's anything interesting or different, what you think about it so far, etc.

I like the user submission thing, I was thinking of holding another competition in ROM hacking, maybe another Design a Gym contest, or a Game Corner (mini game) challenge. Any thoughts on this?

Years
    I agree with the map submission too.
    I think it's better to go for the "design a town" or route first.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I agree with the map submission too.
    I think it's better to go for the "design a town" or route first.

I agree. Let's start with something simple. I would like the map to have a theme, though. Even if we get the first article in time for Halloween, I think it's too late for a Halloween theme, so maybe something more general, like a small starting town? Or an autumn town/route.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Updated the layout a bit. I don't think we can make this in time for Halloween, and something like Hack of the Year is coming up at the start of November so I'd rather we have it done by then to announce it. With the addition of the mapping contest and the yearly competition announcement, we have too much content so I'd like to not include the interview and focus on the hacks, at least for now.

At the closing note, we can allow people to nominate hacks they'd like to be in the 'Spotlight' for the next issue. Daily Pick, the section where we feature a progressing hack, can be any hack of our choice (the ROM Hacking Daily team), or we can allow nominations for that as well.

As for Tips and Tricks, I'm still unsure. We could rename 5qwerty's Newbie Mistakes series into ROM Hacking Tips and Tricks or ROM Hacking 101 instead, and focus on hacks and other announcements/updates in the ROM Hacking Daily series.

Years
    Since you decided to not include the interview can you answer if I can do something else? It seems that there is nothing left.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Since you decided to not include the interview can you answer if I can do something else? It seems that there is nothing left.

Tips and Tricks? I was just looking at the Quick R&D thread and thought that we could have a theme of 'updated mechanics' and show small things in each article. So this week's, for example, could show how to disable the Poison status from affecting you in the overworld, and making Pokémon that hatch from eggs start from level 1 instead of level 5. There's loads of such posts in that thread, and we could do 2-3 every week. These are mostly for Fire Red but we should try and write about ones that are available for both Fire Red and Emerald, at least at first.

You can also write about the Map Making contest, since it was your idea. I just put myself in for that since it's only a small part. What do you think of it having a winter theme, so maybe a winter town or city, since it's winter next month (for most of us)?

Years
    Tips and Tricks? I was just looking at the Quick R&D thread and thought that we could have a theme of 'updated mechanics' and show small things in each article. So this week's, for example, could show how to disable the Poison status from affecting you in the overworld, and making Pokémon that hatch from eggs start from level 1 instead of level 5. There's loads of such posts in that thread, and we could do 2-3 every week. These are mostly for Fire Red but we should try and write about ones that are available for both Fire Red and Emerald, at least at first.

You can also write about the Map Making contest, since it was your idea. I just put myself in for that since it's only a small part. What do you think of it having a winter theme, so maybe a winter town or city, since it's winter next month (for most of us)?
    I 100% agree.
    By the way I have a collection of snow tiles along with the artists in my computer so we can give them these tiles. Also I'm away from home and I will return tomorrow. I will give you my opinion about what I think we should include about the tips and tricks.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yo let me do something else, I think one spotlight thing may be too little for me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I 100% agree.
    By the way I have a collection of snow tiles along with the artists in my computer so we can give them these tiles. Also I'm away from home and I will return tomorrow. I will give you my opinion about what I think we should include about the tips and tricks.

Good idea, we can share the snow tiles with everyone in case they don't have any. Looking forward to your tips and tricks ideas.

Yo let me do something else, I think one spotlight thing may be too little for me.

Write the spotlight thing and we'll see what's left? Unless you don't want to write that anymore. These articles will be coming out regularly, ideally bi-weekly, but this depends on the forum content and how fast we can get things done.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Posting just to let you know the write up will be posted later today. Making sure I got all important elements I want to cover, covered.

Years
    Good idea, we can share the snow tiles with everyone in case they don't have any. Looking forward to your tips and tricks ideas.

Ok, since you like better to have something same for Fire Red and Emerald I think it's a good idea to include Changing the Level At Which Eggs Hatch.
    Also, here is a collection of snow tiles.
    Spoiler:

By the way, who is going to write about the map competition? me or you?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Ok, since you like better to have something same for Fire Red and Emerald I think it's a good idea to include Changing the Level At Which Eggs Hatch.
    Also, here is a collection of snow tiles.
    Spoiler:

Thanks for the snow tiles! I'd prefer it if there were at least two or three tips, though, since most of them are just some basic byte changes. If you're having trouble finding them for Emerald then you could just do Fire Red.

By the way, who is going to write about the map competition? me or you?

Whoever writes their part first and posts it here can write it. go

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Spoiler:

Back