• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Complete] ROM Hacking Daily #1

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    How about these too? I know there is a tool for the first one but still it's useful!
    Changing the player's starting position.
    Changing the egg hatching grapchics.

Starting position seems too basic/boring, and I'd rather stick to a 'theme' for the tips. So you could either go for updated mechanics as I suggested earlier or you can do the egg level 1 thing and the egg hatching graphics as well as maybe something else related to eggs. I think there's a variable that keeps track of how many eggs you've hatched, I might have that saved or it might be in a thread somewhere, that could work.

Years
    Starting position seems too basic/boring, and I'd rather stick to a 'theme' for the tips. So you could either go for updated mechanics as I suggested earlier or you can do the egg level 1 thing and the egg hatching graphics as well as maybe something else related to eggs. I think there's a variable that keeps track of how many eggs you've hatched, I might have that saved or it might be in a thread somewhere, that could work.

Ok I agree. By the way look at this Day-Care script too. Do you think it's going to work? Also I couldn't find that variable that keeps track of how many eggs you've hatched.

Years
    Here are some Eggcelents tips and tricks. Tell me if I should change the content or some mistakes.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020

Spoiler:

It'd be easier to post it here instead of on Wordpress, I think. We could compile the whole thing on Wordpress later for some final reviewing. Made a few changes, most of them are in bold. I'm against using parentheses unless you really have to. It might need a few more changes here and there but the content is good! Are there any parts you think the hack could improve on we could mention?

Spoiler:

This is great, not too long, not too short. You can go ahead and write the map making contest part then.

Here are some Eggcelents tips and tricks. Tell me if I should change the content or some mistakes.
    Spoiler:

Content's fine but the structure should change a bit since it's an article. I changed the first tip up to show you how I'd rather tips be, you can do the second if you want. Remember to give credits to whoever posted these!

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Spoiler:

It'd be easier to post it here instead of on Wordpress, I think. We could compile the whole thing on Wordpress later for some final reviewing. Made a few changes, most of them are in bold. I'm against using parentheses unless you really have to. It might need a few more changes here and there but the content is good! Are there any parts you think the hack could improve on we could mention?

This is great, not too long, not too short. You can go ahead and write the map making contest part then.

Content's fine but the structure should change a bit since it's an article. I changed the first tip up to show you how I'd rather tips be, you can do the second if you want. Remember to give credits to whoever posted these!
    Thanks, I'll touch it up today.

As for improvements, I don't really know. It's got nothing wrong right now.

I could see some people wanting fights nerfed, although, I don't think they are that bad. As for anything else, I'd wait for a final beta before anything else for feedback.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Thanks, I'll touch it up today.

As for improvements, I don't really know. It's got nothing wrong right now.

I could see some people wanting fights nerfed, although, I don't think they are that bad. As for anything else, I'd wait for a final beta before anything else for feedback.

I guess you could mention that some people were finding some fights too hard, but not you. Maybe their starter choice had to do something with it?

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I guess you could mention that some people were finding some fights too hard, but not you. Maybe their starter choice had to do something with it?

That's possible, the toughest one for people is the Genesis Cave boss fight, which apparently led the creator to create a guide on what you could do to win. I didn't read it and had a fairy standard team, and while it was hard, I didn't find it that bad. Then again I also have played all through reborn...

That might be worth mentioning though, thoughts?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    That's possible, the toughest one for people is the Genesis Cave boss fight, which apparently led the creator to create a guide on what you could do to win. I didn't read it and had a fairy standard team, and while it was hard, I didn't find it that bad. Then again I also have played all through reborn...

That might be worth mentioning though, thoughts?

Yeah I think it'd be good to mention things people didn't like as well. The fact that it's (too) challenging may even appeal to some people too.

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Pokémon StunningSteel is hack of Pokémon Fire Red made by Vcaveman of the PokéCommunity, and is currently in beta and goes up to the sixth gym, Fuchsia City's. It follows the storyline of Fire Red, but there are several big changes that set it apart as an improved Fire Red hack. For example, your story begins with you being seventeen years old and finally able to get a Pokémon. However, your background is quite different besides the age change. You start your journey in the year 2008, just ten years after the Great Pokémon War Kanto had. A war in which your father, now deceased, fought in with his Steel Type Pokémon. He became a national hero, and yet you know very little about him, while it seems so many people know so much more. Like your father, you are a strong trainer who has competed across many battle facilities with rental Pokémon since you couldn't raise your own yet.

With your character's background out of the way, let's look at the start of their journey. Upon going to Oak's lab, you get the choice of three very interesting starter Pokémon. Each are designed to change the difficulty in some way. They are Cyndaquil, Aerodactyl, and Kakuna. A very unexpected group for a ROM hack! Upon seeing these three, I found it to be a pretty fun set. Each one changing the difficulty is a unique element to include in a game! I had to of course choose Aerodactyl, although Cyndaquil was a close runner up (sorry, Kakuna, you're still cool though). Making my way through battles was a lot of fun with it. The fact that the ROM hack also includes most Pokémon from generations one to three, as well as many gen 6 mechanics, such as indoor running and poison not affecting you outside of battle, was great. Being able to still play the game like it's Fire Red (added Pokémon have low encounter rates to make it still feel like Kanto), while getting to use newer Pokémon is always great. It's nice to see this increase for ROM hacks over time! It also can change the difficulty depending on your team. The difficulty can still be a challenge at times. In the infamous Genesis Cave fight in the demo, many people had trouble with it. Although, I found it to be hard, but not impossible, it's worth noting. If you like challenge, then you may enjoy that battle quite a bit! if you don't, don't let it steer you away! There's a helpful guide and plenty of options for beating it! In addition to this difficulty, the story gets some new elements that come into play early on.

StunningSteel introduces several new characters. There are new rivals in addition to Gary, such as Vanessa, a young girl who you meet early on and see all throughout the story. There is also a mysterious man who keeps appearing to you and challenges your skill with his high levelled Houndoom. Who is he? You'll learn more about him on your journey, so the only way to find out, is to play the beta! Moving on, an important feature to note as well, is that PokéBalls are more expensive, but are reusable if you don't catch what you threw the ball at. So spend wisely! These aren't all the changes though! There are many new and fun events for you to discover! There are even many dialog changes that will add more insight to the story of your character and the world around you! The events that happen in Fire Red aren't the only ones that are a part of the story. With the new characters, there are new locations and storylines not present in the original! All of which add to the uniqueness this hack has. One big change that occurs because of this, is a system where your choices matter! Depending on what you say or do, your story will change, relationships with characters may stay the same, or become very different.

So how will your destiny come together? There's only one way to find out! Try the beta for Pokémon StunningSteel today! Overall I had a great time in playing through this game, and can't wait to see the future of this project!

Made the changes to it and added more. How's it look now?

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Wrote up something on my post on the first page. Let me know how it looks.

Ooh that was really good to read! It flows nicely and covers everything in a neat and clear way. I like it, well done!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Yo, made some minor changes here and there to the article, added an intro bit and created the actual article series, and added some pull quotes to help with the longer stretches of text. https://daily.pokecommunity.com/?p=6327&preview=true

Gone with the dummy Pokecommunity Daily Staff article, with all four of you listed as writers at the bottom. We've done this for other collab articles already. Nice work overall, gotta say!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    with all four of you listed as writers at the bottom

ROM Hacking Daily #1

Back