• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[WIP] ROM Hacking Daily #2

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    What's New
    • Sun/Moon: article will probably be out a bit before or after the release of Sun/Moon, so perhaps we could make a point about them and how they'll be used in ROM hacking. We could link to the Gen VII sprite resource in A&D where a lot of members are contributing to make Gen VII pokémon sprites available for everyone to put in their hacks
    • Community ROM Hack: new maps, progress update

Hacks Spotlight

Hackers' Corner
    • Tips and Tricks: ???
    • Featured Tool: Tile Helper Advance

Closing notes
    Finish off with a question?

Please post if there's anything you'd like added or if there's something you think won't work. All sections are available if anyone wants to write one, so just let me know.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I can write something for the tips and tricks.
    I will try to explain it well. It's for adding tiles.
    When you need to add a big tile or just to add many tiles, it could be a problem because it takes too much space. I want to explain how to remove the duplicated tiles. In this way, we can save a lot of space

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I can write something for the tips and tricks.
    I will try to explain it well. It's for adding tiles.
    When you need to add a big tile or just to add many tiles, it could be a problem because it takes too much space. I want to explain how to remove the duplicated tiles. In this way, we can save a lot of space

Are you going to talk about the Tile Helper tool?

Years
  • Are you going to talk about the Tile Helper tool?

No.
    I use a different method (probably a little weird but it's working good)
    I use sphere editor.
    1) I select "Image to map", then it's going to ask me the size of the tiles. (I'm selecting 8x8 but I guess 16x16 is working too)
    2) I save the map. And then I open it and take a screenshot.
    For example, here is a mock-up for the bag selection.
    Before Sphere Editor:
    Spoiler:

After Sphere Editor:
    Spoiler:

That's the only method I know for now. There could be an easier one too.

Years
    • Seen today
    I would be fine with Daily Pick again. But can I ask how these games are picked? Is it just what's new? I'm not trying to be rebellious, I'm curious.

Can we pin the ROM hacking newsletter in the hacking sections? Sticky would be fine, but I was thinking you could replace the hack spotlight (the button at the top) for now, as there hasn't been a new one for a while.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I would be fine with Daily Pick again. But can I ask how these games are picked? Is it just what's new? I'm not trying to be rebellious, I'm curious.

Can we pin the ROM hacking newsletter in the hacking sections? Sticky would be fine, but I was thinking you could replace the hack spotlight (the button at the top) for now, as there hasn't been a new one for a while.

I'm the one picking them. I put them up as ideas in the daily staff thread for this and no one's suggested any alternatives so I just went with them. If you have something else in mind, we can think about it, these don't have to be final.

Pokémon Sweet was pretty popular and now it's got a sequel that was just released, and Unbound is an OR/AS hack which is unique and was posted yesterday. So they're both recent and deserve some publicity in my opinion.

I'll try to put a link to article up in the splash in the Hub and maybe the Hacks Studio so it gets more attention.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm the one picking them. I put them up as ideas in the daily staff thread for this and no one's suggested any alternatives so I just went with them. If you have something else in mind, we can think about it, these don't have to be final.

Pokémon Sweet was pretty popular and now it's got a sequel that was just released, and Unbound is an OR/AS hack which is unique and was posted yesterday. So they're both recent and deserve some publicity in my opinion.

I'll try to put a link to article up in the splash in the Hub and maybe the Hacks Studio so it gets more attention.

Alright, thanks for clarifying. I'll get to work shortly.

If our readers are newer, do you think an "old but good" section would be nice?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020

While I'd rather we focus on new hacks that are in development and recent releases, that's a good idea. There will possibly be periods when there is nothing new to feature so we could do reviews of old hacks. We could even do something special for the end of the year, maybe feature some older popular hacks, such as HotY winner Light Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020

Unbound's creator removed the release as he says it's not ready yet :( We'll need a new hack for Daily Pick

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    No.
    I use a different method (probably a little weird but it's working good)
    I use sphere editor.
    1) I select "Image to map", then it's going to ask me the size of the tiles. (I'm selecting 8x8 but I guess 16x16 is working too)
    2) I save the map. And then I open it and take a screenshot.
    For example, here is a mock-up for the bag selection.
    Before Sphere Editor:
    Spoiler:

After Sphere Editor:
    Spoiler:

That's the only method I know for now. There could be an easier one too.

Will you be doing this? Since the creator of Tile Helper Advance is banned maybe showing Sphere would be better, but your example would have to be with tiles.

Since Unbound is gone should we go for the new Unbound? Ben's made a video for it and we could include that, so you could write a very short summary of the hack/video?

Years
  • Will you be doing this? Since the creator of Tile Helper Advance is banned maybe showing Sphere would be better, but your example would have to be with tiles.

Since Unbound is gone should we go for the new Unbound? Ben's made a video for it and we could include that, so you could write a very short summary of the hack/video?

Can't do this today. Maybe I can in Sunday though. Is this a problem?

Back