• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
Years
  • Is there are working 3DS Emu out there?

Guys u gotta try Wind1158's hacks Pokemon victory fire is the best

Well Wind's hacks are graphically great.But you gotta admit,the grammar is horrible.As much as I love his hacks,there was a BIG Downside to it,The GRAMMAR was damn horrible(No offense Wind).

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2016
    hey, i'm new here. I'm just wondering, are all of you playing on emulators?

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Wild Eeveelutions idea

So i hacked my gold rom with eeveelutions (and eevee) and other rare pokemon, now would you like catching a level 4 Eeveelutions or maybe just Eevees and then evolving them into eeveelutions?

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • So I found this thread:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=358972

I find what he is making really interesting. I wish I could help him, but I don't know computer languages other than basic CSS.
    Where should I start to learn how to program a program / to write scripts?

It's cool if you can't contribute. I know a lot of the people who are interested in contributing simply don't know enough to do so. I suggest you first learn how to ROM hack at a decent level. So understanding how to look at ASM code and figuring out what it's doing is the base line. After you can do that, the next step is learning enough C to the point where you can convert those ASM instructions.

If you are still a novice ROM hacker, I suggest starting out with the basics, scripting, mapping ect. Once you're comfortable, try your hand at some of the ASM tutorials lieing about. Advancing your hacking level is pretty easy if you speak to the right people. I find that everyone who wants to learn and frequents the IRC channels with us around usually learns and gets around at a fast pace.

So i hacked my gold rom with eeveelutions (and eevee) and other rare pokemon, now would you like catching a level 4 Eeveelutions or maybe just Eevees and then evolving them into eeveelutions?

Catching eeveelutions in the wild is OK, but not at level 4. :/

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    It's cool if you can't contribute. I know a lot of the people who are interested in contributing simply don't know enough to do so. I suggest you first learn how to ROM hack at a decent level. So understanding how to look at ASM code and figuring out what it's doing is the base line. After you can do that, the next step is learning enough C to the point where you can convert those ASM instructions.

If you are still a novice ROM hacker, I suggest starting out with the basics, scripting, mapping ect. Once you're comfortable, try your hand at some of the ASM tutorials lieing about. Advancing your hacking level is pretty easy if you speak to the right people. I find that everyone who wants to learn and frequents the IRC channels with us around usually learns and gets around at a fast pace.

When I get home from work tonight I'll join the IRC chat, and start asking questions. Thank you FBI for answering my question. I'll do my best.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Catching eeveelutions in the wild is OK, but not at level 4. :/

Roger that

Anyone know how to fix legendary birds behavior? They espace from me, like Nintendo wanted to add them in Gold/Silver but added the 3 Fenines

And it's possible to ADD pokemon (like Glaceon or Leafeon) to Gold databank instead of replacing existing ones?

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    I'm making a Pokemon Romhack right now. It's pretty cool. I'm offering free cameo appearances, where should I post my thread about that?

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I have a rant, and at the end a question. Read rant if you want my insight on the Pokemon ROM hacking scene.

RANT:
    I think that a lot of people want to get into and past the barrier of just knowing how to use basic programs like advance map and script editors, and actually learn how to ROM hack. I've been thinking about ways in which to involve more of the community into a more advanced stage, actual ROM research of things that aren't just basic tables, research on source code, and actually being good enough to write your own.

Currently, there's only a handful of us at the "top" if you will, and the rest of the community are just miles and miles below. It used to be the case that there just wasn't many good tutorials back in those days. We literally had 3 tutorials, Knizz's tutorial, HackMew's tutorial, and Shinyquagsire's tutorial (the latter two I consider identical in terms of what they're teaching). Also we had JPAN's tutorial document, which is far outdated and used gimmicks to get past the flaws of the old assembler he used. Now I think with my tutorials, Touched's text tutorial, the pool of knowledge to pull from has increased.
    Pokemon ROM hacking has definitely changed, most of us, are no longer looking at ways to obfuscate our code, or hide away our achievements. We're moving on into a more open source environment. That all sounds great, it sounds as though the community is moving forward, right?

Well, no. Consider that when I said "We" I meant the 3-4 of us who actually know how to ROM hack versus the hundreds of us who partake in this section of the community. I would like to, some time before I leave this community, to be a definite catalyst to promote growth and encourage more people to experience ROM hacking on a higher level, and I'm really not sure how I can make that happen.I think that there's a lot of potentially intimidating concepts which people are actively trying to avoid, and they're allowed to avoid those. Simply because of threads like the ASM resource thread exist..

My biggest failure as a member of this community is creating that detrimental thread...and it's still around despite the fact that me, it's main contributor, has completely stopped. I wish someone would just one day delete that garbage thread. Imagine it being anything besides ASM. What about a "Script request thread" or "Map request thread". It sounds like the most stupid concept ever, and it hinders growth of people who truely want these features in their hacks. Why learn to ROM hack when you can request a routine? That's what a large majority of this community has become.

Oh you need to do X task? -> Here's a tool
    Oh you don't know how to do y? -> Why read a tutorial/research? Here's a tool or request thread
    Oh having troubles with inserting tiles/Pokemon? -> Have this ROM base.

It's no longer the case that tools make menial/small/repetitive tasks faster, most of you guys don't KNOW how to do the task without your editors in question. Can you call yourself a ROM hacker if you don't know how to read data tables/interpret the ROM's currently available disassembly? There's just no effort put out on your part. This is why I really respect people who have implemented features in their hacks by themselves, as gimmicky as they may be, their trying to achieve things by manipulating the workings of the ROM. They're hacking.

There's less and less of a reason to learn how to ROM hack because people keep making these lazy resources. I think folks need to stop making stupid resources, and make tutorials instead. We really need to advance our general community's hacker base, it's getting to the point where this sort of thing is very important now.

Lets take a trip back in time. A decade ago, the newest things on the block was scripting with Pokescript. That was the time when hacks like Pokemon Shiny Gold became increasingly popular (one of the few hacks to feature new tiles, scripts, and what do you know? actual ROM hacking of RAM tables/data. Then along came HackMew/JPAN/ Mastermindx and their group who started to develop tools, and they started to tap into the potential of ASM hacking. I think for the first time the community saw the potential you could achieve with MastermindX's ruins of alph program. Later, the great knizz came along and pretty much made ASM hacking for FireRed much much easier. This guy literally created the biggest reason you should hack FR > EM. In a community in which everyone was hiding their findings from each other, bickering, crying about people stealing their ROM resources (really? why does that rule even exist...) and hindering ROM research, this guy, almost by himself, released the single most important resource in the Gen 3 hacking scene. Sad part is that less than 10 people in community even know how to take advantage of Knizz's contributions. Afterwards came Touched. Touched was the first ROM hacker to introduce topics like ASM routines beyond the basics; in an open source manner for the community. I think he is truly the first successful ROM hacking teacher this community has ever had. When I started cracking through my shell of being a noob scripter, it was Touched who helped me along the way. I recall spending an entire week trying to figure out where the surf check was located. He constantly would try to help me in a way in which wouldn't give me the solution, however put me in the right direction. I don't think this was his intention, rather a little bit of laziness, regardless, he still helped me make my first working routine. But beyond this, the biggest reason is that Touched taught the concept of "hooking" to me. Literally, after those 10 years, there were zero. Fucking zero tutorials or documentation on using a hook. This is the single biggest thing to advance ROM hacking in the past 2 years in my opinion.

While Touched didn't write any tutorials for teaching how to hook, I learned from him, and I did. I tried my best those days to spread my new knowledge, and I hoped it got across to a lot of people. That was the unfortunate era in which the ASM resource thread was born. In one hand, it exposed the community, for the first time ever to relatable ASM hacking. They could ask for a task to be done, and see how the routine would look like. However, while it's intentions were to help me train my skills and to help out, eventually it became a burden. People would visit the thread and get routines for their hack with 0 effort. I had spoiled the community's drive to learn ASM hacking imo.

Anyways, some time after that, we're in the present. I think the start of the programming with C era will be coming. We're starting to move on from the primitive ASM language, into something more high level. Again, the catalyst to this is Touched. This guy really did a lot for us, so much that imo this community won't be able to thank him enough. He continually advances the ROM hacking scene for pkmn, and I think atm he is the best ROM hacker in this community, no one else can hold a candle to him right now. Prior, setting up a development environment for C programming for the GBA normally game from GBA develoopment communities and their sort of works - like the folks at TONC and GBADEV ect. Anyways, Touched made it easier to set up these scripts and dev environments for us. He helped me get into it by inviting me to work on a C version of follow me with him. I'm really grateful for Touched helping me along, even if I'm mostly self taught, he does help me in my time of struggles.

The thing with Touched is that he doesn't write too many tutorials or explain things in an easy to understand manner. I think I owe it to him and the community to teach it on his behalf. However, I've reached a point where I simply don't think I can do it anymore guys. I think before you try to learn C for the GBA, you need to first learn more about the ROM. You need to know how to hack, and how to interpret and use ASM. There's this large gap in the community in which me just writing a tutorial about GBA programming with C is just not going to help. I wish I knew a way to help, but I just don't.

It pains me to see our C projects receive tons of interest but almost no contributors. It really does, because I care about this community. ROM hacking has been my hobby and happiness for several years now. I love you guys, the trolls, idiots, spammers, kids, try hards, all the decent people, I like it all! I really wish to give back in a larger portion to the community which helped raise my programming skills to the level it is now. I want more people to understand what a great skill reverse engineering is, learning to use Github, learning Programming with C and ASM, learning how to learn can be. I want to close the gap between us at the top of the development community (population 2-3 people) and the rest of you guys. How can I do that? What should I do?

I've been considering a video series, but I know this conflicts with what PC's official channel is trying to do (though mine would be much more advanced than that) and I'm not sure how many people would have the patience of listening to my voice for a long time. I tend to rant a lot, and I know I don't sound the best. I think making a tutorial document is out of the question. There is just too much to write and explain about, and I prefer not to type for hours. I've tried mentoring people with the ASM workshop I used to run, but I found that my students didn't like to run their own ASM routines. I mean, come on...you expect me to help you with your routine, but you haven't even bothered to try and compile it?. I got annoyed for this reason and stopped. But now I'm back again and am wondering how I can spread the knowledge and create more quality ROM hackers. Who knows? Maybe the next great hacker to advance the scene is you! How can I help?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • I have a rant, and at the end a question. Read rant if you want my insight on the Pokemon ROM hacking scene.

RANT:
    I think that a lot of people want to get into and past the barrier of just knowing how to use basic programs like advance map and script editors, and actually learn how to ROM hack. I've been thinking about ways in which to involve more of the community into a more advanced stage, actual ROM research of things that aren't just basic tables, research on source code, and actually being good enough to write your own.

Currently, there's only a handful of us at the "top" if you will, and the rest of the community are just miles and miles below. It used to be the case that there just wasn't many good tutorials back in those days. We literally had 3 tutorials, Knizz's tutorial, HackMew's tutorial, and Shinyquagsire's tutorial (the latter two I consider identical in terms of what they're teaching). Also we had JPAN's tutorial document, which is far outdated and used gimmicks to get past the flaws of the old assembler he used. Now I think with my tutorials, Touched's text tutorial, the pool of knowledge to pull from has increased.
    Pokemon ROM hacking has definitely changed, most of us, are no longer looking at ways to obfuscate our code, or hide away our achievements. We're moving on into a more open source environment. That all sounds great, it sounds as though the community is moving forward, right?

Well, no. Consider that when I said "We" I meant the 3-4 of us who actually know how to ROM hack versus the hundreds of us who partake in this section of the community. I would like to, some time before I leave this community, to be a definite catalyst to promote growth and encourage more people to experience ROM hacking on a higher level, and I'm really not sure how I can make that happen.I think that there's a lot of potentially intimidating concepts which people are actively trying to avoid, and they're allowed to avoid those. Simply because of threads like the ASM resource thread exist..

My biggest failure as a member of this community is creating that detrimental thread...and it's still around despite the fact that me, it's main contributor, has completely stopped. I wish someone would just one day delete that garbage thread. Imagine it being anything besides ASM. What about a "Script request thread" or "Map request thread". It sounds like the most stupid concept ever, and it hinders growth of people who truely want these features in their hacks. Why learn to ROM hack when you can request a routine? That's what a large majority of this community has become.

Oh you need to do X task? -> Here's a tool
    Oh you don't know how to do y? -> Why read a tutorial/research? Here's a tool or request thread
    Oh having troubles with inserting tiles/Pokemon? -> Have this ROM base.

It's no longer the case that tools make menial/small/repetitive tasks faster, most of you guys don't KNOW how to do the task without your editors in question. Can you call yourself a ROM hacker if you don't know how to read data tables/interpret the ROM's currently available disassembly? There's just no effort put out on your part. This is why I really respect people who have implemented features in their hacks by themselves, as gimmicky as they may be, their trying to achieve things by manipulating the workings of the ROM. They're hacking.

There's less and less of a reason to learn how to ROM hack because people keep making these lazy resources. I think folks need to stop making stupid resources, and make tutorials instead. We really need to advance our general community's hacker base, it's getting to the point where this sort of thing is very important now.

Lets take a trip back in time. A decade ago, the newest things on the block was scripting with Pokescript. That was the time when hacks like Pokemon Shiny Gold became increasingly popular (one of the few hacks to feature new tiles, scripts, and what do you know? actual ROM hacking of RAM tables/data. Then along came HackMew/JPAN/ Mastermindx and their group who started to develop tools, and they started to tap into the potential of ASM hacking. I think for the first time the community saw the potential you could achieve with MastermindX's ruins of alph program. Later, the great knizz came along and pretty much made ASM hacking for FireRed much much easier. This guy literally created the biggest reason you should hack FR > EM. In a community in which everyone was hiding their findings from each other, bickering, crying about people stealing their ROM resources (really? why does that rule even exist...) and hindering ROM research, this guy, almost by himself, released the single most important resource in the Gen 3 hacking scene. Sad part is that less than 10 people in community even know how to take advantage of Knizz's contributions. Afterwards came Touched. Touched was the first ROM hacker to introduce topics like ASM routines beyond the basics; in an open source manner for the community. I think he is truly the first successful ROM hacking teacher this community has ever had. When I started cracking through my shell of being a noob scripter, it was Touched who helped me along the way. I recall spending an entire week trying to figure out where the surf check was located. He constantly would try to help me in a way in which wouldn't give me the solution, however put me in the right direction. I don't think this was his intention, rather a little bit of laziness, regardless, he still helped me make my first working routine. But beyond this, the biggest reason is that Touched taught the concept of "hooking" to me. Literally, after those 10 years, there were zero. ****ing zero tutorials or documentation on using a hook. This is the single biggest thing to advance ROM hacking in the past 2 years in my opinion.

While Touched didn't write any tutorials for teaching how to hook, I learned from him, and I did. I tried my best those days to spread my new knowledge, and I hoped it got across to a lot of people. That was the unfortunate era in which the ASM resource thread was born. In one hand, it exposed the community, for the first time ever to relatable ASM hacking. They could ask for a task to be done, and see how the routine would look like. However, while it's intentions were to help me train my skills and to help out, eventually it became a burden. People would visit the thread and get routines for their hack with 0 effort. I had spoiled the community's drive to learn ASM hacking imo.

Anyways, some time after that, we're in the present. I think the start of the programming with C era will be coming. We're starting to move on from the primitive ASM language, into something more high level. Again, the catalyst to this is Touched. This guy really did a lot for us, so much that imo this community won't be able to thank him enough. He continually advances the ROM hacking scene for pkmn, and I think atm he is the best ROM hacker in this community, no one else can hold a candle to him right now. Prior, setting up a development environment for C programming for the GBA normally game from GBA develoopment communities and their sort of works - like the folks at TONC and GBADEV ect. Anyways, Touched made it easier to set up these scripts and dev environments for us. He helped me get into it by inviting me to work on a C version of follow me with him. I'm really grateful for Touched helping me along, even if I'm mostly self taught, he does help me in my time of struggles.

The thing with Touched is that he doesn't write too many tutorials or explain things in an easy to understand manner. I think I owe it to him and the community to teach it on his behalf. However, I've reached a point where I simply don't think I can do it anymore guys. I think before you try to learn C for the GBA, you need to first learn more about the ROM. You need to know how to hack, and how to interpret and use ASM. There's this large gap in the community in which me just writing a tutorial about GBA programming with C is just not going to help. I wish I knew a way to help, but I just don't.

It pains me to see our C projects receive tons of interest but almost no contributors. It really does, because I care about this community. ROM hacking has been my hobby and happiness for several years now. I love you guys, the trolls, idiots, spammers, kids, try hards, all the decent people, I like it all! I really wish to give back in a larger portion to the community which helped raise my programming skills to the level it is now. I want more people to understand what a great skill reverse engineering is, learning to use Github, learning Programming with C and ASM, learning how to learn can be. I want to close the gap between us at the top of the development community (population 2-3 people) and the rest of you guys. How can I do that? What should I do?

I've been considering a video series, but I know this conflicts with what PC's official channel is trying to do (though mine would be much more advanced than that) and I'm not sure how many people would have the patience of listening to my voice for a long time. I tend to rant a lot, and I know I don't sound the best. I think making a tutorial document is out of the question. There is just too much to write and explain about, and I prefer not to type for hours. I've tried mentoring people with the ASM workshop I used to run, but I found that my students didn't like to run their own ASM routines. I mean, come on...you expect me to help you with your routine, but you haven't even bothered to try and compile it?. I got annoyed for this reason and stopped. But now I'm back again and am wondering how I can spread the knowledge and create more quality ROM hackers. Who knows? Maybe the next great hacker to advance the scene is you! How can I help?

I really should be asleep right now, but I came to say that this needs to be starred/stickied/stapled/attached/whateverthehellthissitehasordoes, read, and liked forever because it is exactly all of our frustration with the community in one point. Learn how to code if you're going to even call yourself a hacker, even though we're the lowest hackers on the planet. What kind of hacker is scared of code? A pathetic child. I hate when people tell me "you're god" or "you're a genius" when I do something very simple, it just goes to show that everyone here is below a simple line of logic. No offense to anyone, but it's true that almost nobody here can code to save their lives, being that we use the simplest coding language to ever exist. What's worse is that nobody would like to learn how to code to save their lives. I know this has nothing to do with the person whom FBI has responded to, but that's what this thread is for. It's for all you hackers who happen to fit into the category of "hackers".
    Good night, hope nobody hates me for saying what I just said, but hey, who cares

Last edited by a moderator:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • All you really have to do is give people an accessible, close medium where they can learn about/get into coding.

That's why so many people hack, because it's accessible as hell, and while I agree with the sentiment I'd say that the reason people don't learn or strive to learn is because despite being a pretty good resource on most things, it's not as easy, purely from a navigational standpoint, to get into programming as it is to get into scripting. If there were documentation or, hell, even simply links to places where people can learn, like those that we provide for the various basic facets of scripting, more people would get into the nit and gritty of it all.

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Why should I bother with ASM when it takes so much time to learn and I can do 90% of what I want to do without it? Not all of us take hacking so seriously, it's just a hobby to me and I don't want spend all my time on a small part when I could be using it more efficiently. Very very few hacks and hackers would exist if programming knowledge was a requirement, having a lower barrier of entry is something that has no downsides.

Back