• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Running XSE on a Macbook Pro?

Years
    I have a Macbook Pro 10.7.5 (Intel). I got Advance Map up and running using the program called Wine (application for running Windows programs on Mac). However, I can't figure out how to run XSE (Hackmew's scripting program) or Advance Trainer (Hackmew's trainer editing program). I've tried using PlayOnMac, which has worked very well for other programs, but still no cigar. When running the debug check in PlayOnMac to see why I can't run XSE, it tells me I'm missing "MSVBVM60.DLL," which, as I understand it, is a .DLL file used in Windows programs. I've been advised by a couple sites not to try and download it, since apparently it's a popular hobby of some people to stuff it with viruses.

I have a Windows 7 installation disc that I've been trying to partition on my Mac for a while now. As it turns out, I need to go through the trouble of wiping my hard drive clean and reinstalling Mac OSX before Bootcamp (application used to partition Windows) will even allow me to install Windows 7. It's a shame I can't find my Mac OSX installation disc. I'll probably end up going to Best Buy and just asking them to install Windows 7 for me, and see how far that goes. In the mean time, I'd like it if I could figure out how to run XSE and Advance Trainer on here.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Not sure whether or not you need to do something special to run those as I've always used
    Scripting: score_under's PKSV
    Trainer Editor: Jambo51's Unnamed Trainer Editor
    (both work without anything beyond wine)

Last edited:
    Years
    Not sure whether or not you need to do something special to run those as I've always used

Thank you. You're right, I can run those programs using wine on my mac. That helps a lot. I will have to learn PKSV, but I guess I might as well. It's better than anything I could have asked for.

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018

Thank you. You're right, I can run those programs using wine on my mac. That helps a lot. I will have to learn PKSV, but I guess I might as well. It's better than anything I could have asked for.

PKSV is lame and outdated. Use cosarara's editor, Red Alien - it supports both XSE and PKSV styles as well as its own style. It's also written in Python and thus can be run without WINE.

Years
    PKSV is lame and outdated. Use cosarara's editor, Red Alien - it supports both XSE and PKSV styles as well as its own style. It's also written in Python and thus can be run without WINE.

Thanks for pointing me to this. I just realized wine can't open the defines.dat, which is used in PKSV. So that's a problem.

I downloaded Red Alien and tried to run it, but the app crashed without even opening. I downloaded Python to see if that would help. Nothing. I open it, and the icon appears on my dock, and then it just quits itself.

Edit: Hold on, I looked at cosarara's thread and realized I didn't install the pyqt and Qscintilla dependencies. I'm using homebrew to do that now. On a side note, I have no frickin' clue how homebrew knows what to do. I just type in terminal, "brew install pyqt" and it apparently does it.

I'm not good with Mac at all. It even took me a while to realize I had to read the Readme document by choosing to open it with textedit. Since it's a UNIX file I couldn't just double click and expect it to work.

Edit 2: Well well well, big surprise -- another problem Brew couldn't install pyqt. Error this, error that. Everything has to be so complicated. How lovely.

Edit 3: I'm posting my progress on cosarara's tools thread now. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8772898#post8772898

Last edited:

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Thanks for pointing me to this. I just realized wine can't open the defines.dat, which is used in PKSV. So that's a problem.

I downloaded Red Alien and tried to run it, but the app crashed without even opening. I downloaded Python to see if that would help. Nothing. I open it, and the icon appears on my dock, and then it just quits itself.

Edit: Hold on, I looked at cosarara's thread and realized I didn't install the pyqt and Qscintilla dependencies. I'm using homebrew to do that now. On a side note, I have no frickin' clue how homebrew knows what to do. I just type in terminal, "brew install pyqt" and it apparently does it.

I'm not good with Mac at all. It even took me a while to realize I had to read the Readme document by choosing to open it with textedit. Since it's a UNIX file I couldn't just double click and expect it to work.

Edit 2: Well well well, big surprise -- another problem Brew couldn't install pyqt. Error this, error that. Everything has to be so complicated. How lovely.

Edit 3: I'm posting my progress on cosarara's tools thread now. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8772898#post8772898

Homebrew, assuming it functions much like any other package manager (I wouldn't know, I've never used a Mac), maintains a cache of packages and connects to a central site or set of sites to download the necessary software.

As for your issue: Try using pip, Python's package manager - that should be able to install packages for you. Otherwise you'll have to manually install them using Python's build tools. Download the source for the packages and check the relevant files for further instruction. Usually this involves running a 'configure.py' file or something.

Years
    Homebrew, assuming it functions much like any other package manager (I wouldn't know, I've never used a Mac), maintains a cache of packages and connects to a central site or set of sites to download the necessary software.

As for your issue: Try using pip, Python's package manager - that should be able to install packages for you. Otherwise you'll have to manually install them using Python's build tools. Download the source for the packages and check the relevant files for further instruction. Usually this involves running a 'configure.py' file or something.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I've installed pip and am learning how to use it properly. I tried opening asc-qt again. At first I thought it was working (the Python launcher came up and everything), but then I received an error that says PyQt5 isn't installed, so now it seems all I have to do is figure out how to use pip to install PyQt5. I've downloaded the source for PyQt5, but can't quite understand how to use pip to install it yet.

It seems I can't install very many useful things these days without having some knowledge of Terminal commands (Mac version of command prompt). One bump in the road after the other.

EDIT: When I try to make Terminal run the configure file for PyQt (which was the instruction in the readme file) it told me, "Error: Use the --qmake argument to explicitly specify a working Qt qmake."
    Well, I have no idea what that even means. I swear, could this road get any bumpier?

EDIT 2: Here's the error that Python gives me when I try to open asc-qt, if it matters:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Thanks for the helpful advice. I've installed pip and am learning how to use it properly. I tried opening asc-qt again. At first I thought it was working (the Python launcher came up and everything), but then I received an error that says PyQt5 isn't installed, so now it seems all I have to do is figure out how to use pip to install PyQt5. I've downloaded the source for PyQt5, but can't quite understand how to use pip to install it yet.

It seems I can't install very many useful things these days without having some knowledge of Terminal commands (Mac version of command prompt). One bump in the road after the other.

EDIT: When I try to make Terminal run the configure file for PyQt (which was the instruction in the readme file) it told me, "Error: Use the --qmake argument to explicitly specify a working Qt qmake."
    Well, I have no idea what that even means. I swear, could this road get any bumpier?

EDIT 2: Here's the error that Python gives me when I try to open asc-qt, if it matters:
    Spoiler:

Seems like you need to install qmake too. Then "python configure.py" and then "make", "make install" for it to work.

Years
    This whole thing has made me highly pessimistic (endless chains of hurdles will do that, I guess). As expected, the installation for PyQt5 (which has qmake in it) failed, for some vague reason. I think I'm ready to call it quits on this. With each new problem my motivation plummets. I wish this was a lot simpler, but I guess that's just the way it is.

Thanks for your help.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2017
    I'm the same way.
    It's a shame- editing the text was one of two things I needed to do before I could release the first version of my hack, but it seems like there's no way to make that happen.

Years
    Okay, so I managed to get PKSV working on my mac. For the time being I will probably mess around with it and get used to it, but I may also continue to look into this Python business so I can use Red Alien. All I did was download PKSV from sourceforge, and then ran the .exe file using Wine.

Back