• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Sappy Produces Garbage Noise?

Years
  • Hey guys I asked another question about music earlier but here's a weird one. So I will list what I did and have a video below to showcase the problem. I'm kinda iffy on the music in R/S/E, so I wanted to change it for my ruby hack. So I converted a song, the fire emblem theme from melee, (down below), to a midi through a website. I then put the file into mid2agb, and got a .s file. Opened up sappy, went to the wild battle theme, and clicked on assemble song. I imported the fire emblem theme, the .s file I converted through mid2agb, and checked the Address circle. I didn't edit it, just clicked it. I left everything else normal and cooked it. It cooked, but in sappy it played what you hear in the video, and in game it played what you hear in the video and what I heard in sappy. (same thing, just to clarify) And in game, after 2 minutes, the music actually stops playing! So the two main problems here are:

1) It sounds nothing like the song I converted.
    2) It stops after it plays one time. *update* it loops now! :D
    3) I have added the mid in a zip file for download. (If i did it right)

Now I'm a noob at importing music, in fact this is my first time. So I probably forgot something obvious, or maybe did the entire process wrong. But if someone could enlighten me on what the heck is even going on here, that would be real helpful. A link to the song I tried getting into my rom is down below, and the product itself, so you can see how different the two are.

Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75VzljdUE-s

Problem footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsQMM99s51I

Last edited:
    Years
  • You also forgot to loop the song. Team Fail has a ridiculously easy tutorial on how to do it, so just check his threads from his profile and you should find it.
    And you need Anvil Studio or some other midi editor to change the instruments.

Years
  • You need to actually edit the song as per Pokemon Ruby's instruments. Pokemon Ruby doesn't have all the standard instruments inserted.

This is gonna sound real noobish but if pokemon ruby doesn't have all the standard instruments, couldn't I just insert the song it into a pokemon game that does have standard instruments, export the tracks, and then import them to ruby? Or does it not work like that.

Years
  • This is gonna sound real noobish but if pokemon ruby doesn't have all the standard instruments, couldn't I just insert the song it into a pokemon game that does have standard instruments, export the tracks, and then import them to ruby? Or does it not work like that.
    It doesn't work like that. Even if you do put it into a game that DOES have the instruments, .s files don't include the actual instrument sounds. Sappy can only work with what's given with midi2agb and the game's instruments that are inside the ROM. Even then, if it was from a DS game, the instruments would be out of sync. For example, if you had one of the tracks as Electric Piano 1 it might end up as Xylophone for no apparent reason or something like that. That's why you need Anvil Studio to change the instrument it's going to use.
    Even then, Ruby is limited in it's voicegroups unless you want to port the All Instrument Patch, so it's going to sound off anyway.

Years
  • It doesn't work like that. Even if you do put it into a game that DOES have the instruments, .s files don't include the actual instrument sounds. Sappy can only work with what's given with midi2agb and the game's instruments that are inside the ROM. Even then, if it was from a DS game, the instruments would be out of sync. For example, if you had one of the tracks as Electric Piano 1 it might end up as Xylophone for no apparent reason or something like that. That's why you need Anvil Studio to change the instrument it's going to use.
    Even then, Ruby is limited in it's voicegroups unless you want to port the All Instrument Patch, so it's going to sound off anyway.

Is there a guide for changing instruments through anvil studio you recommend? I already know how to loop with anvil, but I don't have a clue about what to do when it comes to instruments. Also, I want to note, in sappy there's only one instrument. (I think, picture below)

Instrument?: https://imgur.com/OivYZtW

Years
  • Is there a guide for changing instruments through anvil studio you recommend? I already know how to loop with anvil, but I don't have a clue about what to do when it comes to instruments. Also, I want to note, in sappy there's only one instrument. (I think, picture below)

Instrument?: https://imgur.com/OivYZtW
    I've been changing instruments with Anvil Studio for a long time, but it seems to be random. If there is a pattern to the changed instruments when going from SSEQ -> .mid then I don't know it. It's just a guess and check procedure really.
    I'd need the .mid, as an already imported version of a song that isn't working properly doesn't tell me much, sorry.
    Also, you should change that offset. You might end up corrupting other songs or data by putting it in a place that isn't free space.

Years
  • I've been changing instruments with Anvil Studio for a long time, but it seems to be random. If there is a pattern to the changed instruments when going from SSEQ -> .mid then I don't know it. It's just a guess and check procedure really.
    I'd need the .mid, as an already imported version of a song that isn't working properly doesn't tell me much, sorry.
    Also, you should change that offset. You might end up corrupting other songs or data by putting it in a place that isn't free space.

Do you want me to give you the mid or were you being hypothetical? And I will go ahead and change the offset now.

Years
  • Ok so it is definitely a problem with the .mid.
    So from where you downloaded it, the person who created it mashed the tracks together and only made one instrument try to play the whole thing. As a result, this won't work at all. I suggest you get a new .mid of the same song offline or rip it yourself, because I found a few versions of that song online myself.
    ~EDIT~ So when you get a new version of the song, you'll have multiple tracks. Assuming you downloaded a .mid version of the song, you probably won't have to change the instruments(I'd check anyway and delete any unused tracks that people like to put in when you download them from the internet). After that your only problem will be getting the right voicegroup(the right set of instruments that the game has already).

Last edited:
    Years
    So from where you downloaded it, the person who created it mashed the tracks together and only made one instrument try to play the whole thing. As a result, this won't work at all. I suggest you get a new .mid of the same song offline or rip it yourself, because I found a few versions of that song online myself.

It might not be the guy, it might've been what I did to the song to get the mid. So the song theme link from the first post, I went to a site and converted that into an mp3. Then I took my video editor program, and converted the mp3 into a .wav. I then took the .wav into a program called r8brain, and lowered the output depth output to 8bit, the quality to very high, and the resampled to 22050. After that was converted into a new .wav file, I went to a site that converts .wavs into .mids. And maybe this is why the track is mashed together? The reason I went through this process was to get the entire song into mid2agb. For some reason, converting the song from mp3 to mid was too large of a file, but doing this process lets it convert the entire song from .mid to .s, no size problems. If this process effects the track being mashed together, what other way is there to get that theme into a midi?

Years
    ~EDIT~ So when you get a new version of the song, you'll have multiple tracks. Assuming you downloaded a .mid version of the song, you probably won't have to change the instruments(I'd check anyway and delete any unused tracks that people like to put in when you download them from the internet). After that your only problem will be getting the right voicegroup(the right set of instruments that the game has already).

Ok so good news. (kinda) You see, the theme I'm trying to import to my game was originally for the fire emblem gameboy. So instead of trying to get the theme through melee, why not the game boy variant? And that's what I did! A site (down below) provided me midis to every song in the game, and I found the one that I needed. So I downloaded the song, put it into mid2agb, but this time it said a different message. It worked yes, but it exported tracks, or something akin. How I know this, is because when I imported the new .s file into sappy, I got the song! But, not everything is well. I recorded what happens when it plays in game through media means (video below) and as one can see, it's really... Pitchy... I think everything else about it is satisfactory, but the pitch isn't too pleasant. It also doesn't loop, but I can fix myself after the pitch is changed. So my last question should be, how can I stop this pitchiness? The song plays quite like it's gba counterpart, the only problem being is too high of a pitch. Also, thank you thus far for your guidance. (note; when I spam left then right, the pitch goes away until I stop, just wanted to note that)

Site: https://www.khinsider.com/midi/gba/fire-emblem

Pitch problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8OOiYnx6_k

Years
  • ~above post excluded to prevent stretching the post more than it needs to be~
    Ok so good news. (kinda) You see, the theme I'm trying to import to my game was originally for the fire emblem gameboy. So instead of trying to get the theme through melee, why not the game boy variant? And that's what I did! A site (down below) provided me midis to every song in the game, and I found the one that I needed. So I downloaded the song, put it into mid2agb, but this time it said a different message. It worked yes, but it exported tracks, or something akin. How I know this, is because when I imported the new .s file into sappy, I got the song! But, not everything is well. I recorded what happens when it plays in game through media means (video below) and as one can see, it's really... Pitchy... I think everything else about it is satisfactory, but the pitch isn't too pleasant. It also doesn't loop, but I can fix myself after the pitch is changed. So my last question should be, how can I stop this pitchiness? The song plays quite like it's gba counterpart, the only problem being is too high of a pitch. Also, thank you thus far for your guidance. (note; when I spam left then right, the pitch goes away until I stop, just wanted to note that)

Site: https://www.khinsider.com/midi/gba/fire-emblem

Pitch problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8OOiYnx6_k
    Yeah, I can imagine that changing the songs that much could be a problem. There is a tool that converts .wav files into .mid files, it's (unoriginally) called wav2gba.
    I use that website sometimes too, when I can't rip the music myself. I'm not sure all their stuff is top notch though, as they're slightly different from the originals sometimes, and there are different versions. They ARE useful though, ngl. You can use SappyMod1.7, SapTapper, and gba_mus_riper to rip songs in .mid files as long as the game is a .gba and it used the M4A soundfont(what Sappy uses).
    Aside from that, you should understand voicegroups. Voicegroups are a set of instruments that the song can play, and they're found at certain offsets in the ROM. In order to find where voiceboxes are, I'm going to try to give a small tutorial on how to find them in a ROM. First, MAKE TWO OR MORE BACKUPS. Some of these steps will be incredibly hard to reverse, so don't even try. Then open up Sappy(I use Mod1.7 because it's the newest and best imo).
    From there you'll need to have a .s file of the song you're going to try to insert. Assuming it's valid, it's going to be the one we're working with.
    For a start, let's try replacing the song you want to replace first. I saw yours was 457. Sounded pitchy or odd, right? That's because the instruments in the voice box aren't the same as the instruments that are used by your song.
    From here it becomes a game of patience. Keep replacing songs in the ROM with your own song until it sounds about right.
    In a hypothetical situation, let's say.... song #461 sounded decent when you put your song there. While on #461, hit Assemble Song. One of the boxes you must fill out will say Voicegroup Offset and then some random number in hex. Copy that number and save it somewhere.
    Open one of your backups in Sappy. Go to the song you ACTUALLY want to replace. When you've hit the Assemble Song button and have chosen the .s file you want, look at that Voicegroup Offset thing again. I bet that it has a different number. Replace that number with the one you've saved and assemble the song to a new base offset(remember that Sappy doesn't look for free space!). It should sound exactly like it did when you inserted the song before on song #461.
    With enough time and patience, this is the way I how to find and test voicegroups. Good luck!

Years
  • Yeah, I can imagine that changing the songs that much could be a problem. There is a tool that converts .wav files into .mid files, it's (unoriginally) called wav2gba.
    I use that website sometimes too, when I can't rip the music myself. I'm not sure all their stuff is top notch though, as they're slightly different from the originals sometimes, and there are different versions. They ARE useful though, ngl. You can use SappyMod1.7, SapTapper, and gba_mus_riper to rip songs in .mid files as long as the game is a .gba and it used the M4A soundfont(what Sappy uses).
    Aside from that, you should understand voicegroups. Voicegroups are a set of instruments that the song can play, and they're found at certain offsets in the ROM. In order to find where voiceboxes are, I'm going to try to give a small tutorial on how to find them in a ROM. First, MAKE TWO OR MORE BACKUPS. Some of these steps will be incredibly hard to reverse, so don't even try. Then open up Sappy(I use Mod1.7 because it's the newest and best imo).
    From there you'll need to have a .s file of the song you're going to try to insert. Assuming it's valid, it's going to be the one we're working with.
    For a start, let's try replacing the song you want to replace first. I saw yours was 457. Sounded pitchy or odd, right? That's because the instruments in the voice box aren't the same as the instruments that are used by your song.
    From here it becomes a game of patience. Keep replacing songs in the ROM with your own song until it sounds about right.
    In a hypothetical situation, let's say.... song #461 sounded decent when you put your song there. While on #461, hit Assemble Song. One of the boxes you must fill out will say Voicegroup Offset and then some random number in hex. Copy that number and save it somewhere.
    Open one of your backups in Sappy. Go to the song you ACTUALLY want to replace. When you've hit the Assemble Song button and have chosen the .s file you want, look at that Voicegroup Offset thing again. I bet that it has a different number. Replace that number with the one you've saved and assemble the song to a new base offset(remember that Sappy doesn't look for free space!). It should sound exactly like it did when you inserted the song before on song #461.
    With enough time and patience, this is the way I how to find and test voicegroups. Good luck!

Alright thanks for the tutorial. But there's one problem. Whenever I put the midi (the one I got as a midi, not an mp3, the wav, then midi) into anvil studio and export it, it gives me the message below. I could make one edit, I could make no edits, and it gives me this message everytime. So I can't loop it or change instruments because it won't let me export it as a midi format-0. I did it last night, but that was with a different file, so I don't get what happened

Picture: https://imgur.com/LMSxO6e

Years
  • That error actually does nothing. :v
    You can still loop the track and all, and it sounds the same. Just ignore it.

Jesus Christ man, you are a savior. Legit, you've helped me before, but this... You don't even know how thankful I am for people like you. Noobs like me can survive thanks to people like you. I love my fire emblem, but when it's music is with pokemon... Oh boy... Thank you so much man!!!

Back