• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sarcasm =/= Clever or Witty

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Damn, you couldn't be more right there buddy.

Zero_

Your Hostile Demon
    Years
  • Sarcasm is my way of being me. It is my way of showing that I disagree or find something odd about a situation or comment. Sarcasm doesn't start pointless arguments like "Disagreeing" does, and you still get to speak your mind. It is also funny when you can find something odd about the situation in a comedy way.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
    Years
  • Sarcasm often seems like a copout to sound clever or witty when you don't have an actual remark or comeback.

But Deadpan humor is okay.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Sarcasm only sucks on the Internet, because it isn't as blatantly obvious.
    Otherwise, it is made up of only win.

Wait.
    Are you being sarcastic?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I disagree wholeheartedly.

I find that sarcasm is a great way for me to see most things on a more lighter note. Granted, there are times where it isn't appropriate; but through it all I just find it a good mechanism for helping me keep my calm, level-headed and composed attitude in many situations, especially in scenarios where I don't want to actually say too much of what I'm actually thinking. It can be amusing, I know I've always found most sarcastic remarks more comical and endearing than any other wise crack that people may like to pull out of thin air, so I have a great appreciation for it. But I certainly don't use it just to be witty, rather, I use it more as a way to help me get by.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I agree with Siggy. There are times when sarcasm is unnecessary and just not funny, but if you can pull it off cleverly and at the right time, it can be quite amusing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2012
    I have mixed feelings about sarcasm. On one hand, when it is used all the time it gets old and exhausted (and people who are only ever sarcastic don't come off very well), yet sarcasm executed well can be pretty funny.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • Sarcasm is genius. It proves you can see the other side. :P Okay it can be annoying, but it's better then plain ridicule at least.

Years
  • Sarcasm is fine in humor, but outside that it is pretty worthless. It's not the same as wit, but then wit is just wordplay and humor trying to sound intelligent so to my mind they may as well be the same since they're good for laughs and that's about it. Not to be kicking humor or anything. It's important, but let's be clear about what it is and where it belongs, which is no place serious.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • The only time it is annoying is when people take it too seriously or if someone over does it or uses it in a bad situation. If it is necessary and funny in a good time, I do that all the time. But in a time to be completely serious, I get annoyed too. I am overall a sarcastic person though, I think it is pretty fun to do and people get a good laugh from it.

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • You know what I really like? When people use tags to denote sarcasm or just plain append any apparently ironic comment they make with "JK JK JK I AM NOT BEING SERIOUS I AM BEING SARCASTIC XDDD". And then go around informing people that they are "A VERY SARCASTIC PERSON". It's classy and efficient.

ohhh what was the topic of conversation again sorry I got lost in my wittiness.

But no in all seriousness, IN ALL SERIOUSNESS, yeah I think the place of ironic humor in the arts and in human life is actually an interesting subject. That is, is it possible to forget how to be sincere, and to have sincere values, if you utilize sarcasm too often? I guess sarcasm is sort of the wrong word here, since it mostly describes like a statement or tone, something brief and temporary. But satirical art that has no detectable purpose besides making fun of stuff, or the common practice of embracing something (say, for instance Pokémon, or My Little Pony) for its inherent ironic and humorous value without actually believing in it? Are these dangerous to your integrity as a human being? Or is mockery through insincerity a fundamental part of being human? Is sarcasm a natural and ancient extension of humor or a relatively modern invention? Is this too many question marks?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Given that I often encounter sarcasm in serious circumstances, I've come to loathe it.
    It's witty and whatnot, at times, but it's like that 'son i am disappoint' meme, really retarded unless it's played right, but when it is you're on the floor for the next ten minutes.

Back