• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen searching for a good emulator to play Pokémon platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    DeSmuME is by far the most accurate DS emulator.

It may seem a little slow at first, but if you set frameskip to maximum and then enable auto-minimize frameskip, it should run at full speed, especially on a powerful computer like that.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    DeSmuME is probably not the greatest choice for Pokémon.

The authors hate Pokémon players and have gone on record mentioning that any and all problems that rise in a Pokémon game are not a concern and will not be patched (at least won't until it shows up in another game).

I'd personally recommend MelonDS. In my experience, it works well enough and seem to have a couple of extra features that DeSmuME doesn't have (most likely because of zeromus' hate for Pokémon).

EDIT: While I personally haven't used it, I've seen people recommend DraStic (a DS emulator for Android) via an Android emulator. It's so efficient that emulating on top of an emulator was reportedly less intensive than just running DeSmuME.

Last edited:

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023

The authors hate Pokémon players and have gone on record mentioning that any and all problems that rise in a Pokémon game are not a concern and will not be patched (at least won't until it shows up in another game).

I'd personally recommend MelonDS. In my experience, it works well enough and seem to have a couple of extra features that DeSmuME doesn't have (most likely because of zeromus' hate for Pokémon).

EDIT: While I personally haven't used it, I've seen people recommend DraStic (a DS emulator for Android) via an Android emulator. It's so efficient that emulating on top of an emulator was reportedly less intensive than just running DeSmuME.

uh, i dint know about that, but being honest, DeSmuME lacks a lot of features that a lot of others emulators normally have.
    I dont use MacOS but as far as the emulators i tested, MelonDS is really good, i also like No$GBA, but i dont think it has Mac support.
    The other two that is worth mentioning are OpenEmu and Retroarch, which pretty much runs on anything (seriously, i got it running on my Ps2 and a 7 year old school computer lol)
    note that Retroarch is a "frontend for emulators, game engines and media players." and it works using cores, the full list can be seen here.

As for the DraStic emulator, i found it pretty good and it runs pretty well on both low and high end phones, i tested with various Pokemon games (both mainline and spinoff games) and i dint experience any issue using it.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024

I looked around to see what you were talking about and jeez...

This zeromus guy just seems like a really rude person in general whether or not bug reports pertaining to Pokémon are legitimate. I might as well just delete DeSmuME and replace it with MelonDS if he's not going to bother fixing anything.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2022
    There are a few different options available, but the two most popular ones are VisualBoy Advance and No$GBA.

soulzzii

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    There are a few different options available, but the two most popular ones are VisualBoy Advance and No$GBA.

VBA can run nds games? i had no idea.
    anyways, just use vba-m if thats the case

soulzzii

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    I don't think VBA can, although I'm pretty sure No$GBA can
    No$GBA is pretty much advertised as both an gba as an ds emulator(and i used it myself, it does a pretty good job tbh) , On VBA`s case im sure it also emulates gb/gbc roms, but it dosent emulate ds roms.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 4, 2022
    I've been using RetroArch, and it's pretty good emulator to play Pokémon games.
    Best way to see if you like it, is to give it a try =)

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2023
    The best emulator for playing Pokémon Platinum is the Desmume emulator. It is a free and open source emulator that is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux operating systems. It is considered to be one of the best emulators for playing Nintendo DS games.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back