• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serena look better with --

Serena look better with

• Total voters
    Years
    I feel like the short hair wouldn't have gone with her original outfit as well. It was something that I knew would need a complete refresh of her look, although I did see some art by Tumblr user liivolt that did show what she would have looked like if the hairstyles and outfits got reversed.

I now often associate her original design with the games, because I think she deserved to look different between adaptations.

Last edited:

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024

This is my favorite look for Serena, I love her short hair look, hat or no hat.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I feel like the reason it works is because she has that little bang exposed on her forehead. You can pretty much get a bang like it in the games while playing as the female trainer aka Serena.
    Aaah yeah, that could be it. I feel like that hairstyle suits her face way better than when she kept her bangs pulled back / aside. Also I just really like short hair on girls. lol

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Aaah yeah, that could be it. I feel like that hairstyle suits her face way better than when she kept her bangs pulled back / aside. Also I just really like short hair on girls. lol

The problem with long hair Serena is that her Bang didn't match her Side-tail .
    For some reason , Serena's Sidetail seem kind of fluffy So it prevent Serena from being cuter .
    For example , See this-

This girl seem to have similar Bang as Long-hair Serena However she look prettier then Serena.
    Its as if her Side-tail matched her bang perfectly.
    Now see this -

It seemed Serena Side-tail matched her New bang here !
    However , She might become pretty as this Women if Her Side-tail was less fluffy and more thin

I think that Serena just needed to change her Bang or Side-tail to be prettier ! She didn't need to cut off her hair.

Anyway , I kind hoping for new hair-style for Serena by the time of next movie!
    Maybe , she temporarily leaves the group to find What's she missing as a Performer Since Monsieur Pierre said that she can never Elle until she find what's she missing .
    Then Return to the group with longer hair with different hairstyle.
    Also , Beauty comes from both Body & Personality! So , Serena probably needs a new matching personality to be prettier.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Serena's new hairstyle works well for her and is very cute. Her old hairstyle looked like Iris with blond hair and hat and that was really off for character like Serena. That hairstyle may work OK for Iris, wild girl who does not care how she looks and use it to hide Pokémon in it, but recycle it for character like Serena... sorry but no, that did not work, not even with that hat.
    As for outfit, I must admit I don't like either. She has much better looking outfits to use in games. But if I have to choose one of them, I still prefer her current outfit, as I found her old one too dark for her.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    i liked Serena's hair before it got cut i just consider her now a misty clone with the short hair

Currently , We have no reason for choosing Serena over Misty unlike May & Dawn.
    Hack , If Misty reappear with a longer and improved One-side ponytail and treat Ash the same way she did in Original series then Amourshipping popularity will disappear.
    Just imagine , Misty appear looking like this --

Serena's new hairstyle works well for her and is very cute. Her old hairstyle looked like Iris with blond hair and hat and that was really off for character like Serena. That hairstyle may work OK for Iris, wild girl who does not care how she looks and use it to hide Pokémon in it, but recycle it for character like Serena... sorry but no, that did not work, not even with that hat.
    As for outfit, I must admit I don't like either. She has much better looking outfits to use in games. But if I have to choose one of them, I still prefer her current outfit, as I found her old one too dark for her.

Except , Short hair suit tomboyish wild Girl like Iris .
    Example :

Serena Cutting her hair is nothing impressive ! Sakura Haruno (Naruto) cut her hair as well but she was still useless.

Girly and Passive Girl like Serena suit better with Long hair , Not Shot hair! Serena doesn't have the personality that charmed short hair girls.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    Once again, you state your opinions as fact. That is annoying and will only make you enemies.
    And just so you know, Iris was not tomboyish. Misty was tomboyish, not Iris. Iris was wild, nature-loving girl, but far from tomboyish. And I also have to disagree with your assumption that only tomboyish girls should have short hair. That's prejudice and stereotypical assumption and I, for once, am glad Pokémon anime writers tried to go beyond these stereotypes with Serena's new haircut ;)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    i liked Serena's hair before it got cut i just consider her now a misty clone with the short hair

I may despise Serena's new haircut, but even I know that it doesn't make her Misty 2.0. That would be Iris, being a gym leader and all that.

And I also have to disagree with your assumption that only tomboyish girls should have short hair. That's prejudice and stereotypical assumption and I, for once, am glad Pokémon anime writers tried to go beyond these stereotypes with Serena's new haircut

They already broke that stereotype with May, and she was more likable than Serena. And I firmly disagree with your claim that Serena's long hair isn't good, because that was her main beauty factor in her character design, much like May's naturally short hair. Serena's short hair doesn't go well with all of the other outfits she wore in the past and present, which required different styles of her long hair to bring maximum appeal.

Years
    Oh good grief. Serena is not a ****ing Misty clone. Nor I see why her hair cut and redesign should ****ing matter over her character and character development. This fanbase is always so ****ing shallow and negative towards everything especially to female companions.
    Let's be honest, if people found Misty at all acceptable (and they talked like you about everything), they were not 'shallow and negative' towards everything, but especially to female companions. If Misty was a guy then she would be out of there in seconds - which makes you wonder why they didn't wish to acknowledge that she was, but anyway.

In any case, the fanbase are not Misty clones, but I'm not sure about Serena08. Now, as to Serena, who is milder, the hair-cut and accompanying redesign was supposed to represent something about their character, and hence their having shorter hair may be considered on this basis, as well as others, such as - well, do Pokémon like the switch, are they really eager that girls who are serious about anything be short-haired, does Serena really not care about their appearance to others (because they aren't associated with 'performances') or do they think it looks better, etc.? This apart from the fact that the thread was started in the spirit that Pokémon was basically 'Love Hina,' which fortunately it is not.

This thread is cancer and should be closed immediately.
    But are you its carcinogen?

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I wonder if Serena going to have new hairstyle before the upcoming movie.
    Specially since Palermo said that Serena lack something and she will never beat Aria until she finds it.
    So , I'm getting a vibe that Serena goes though special training to find what she lacks . Maybe , She leave the group to find it .
    Honestly , I want Serena to leave temporarily to return with A New style long hair and a new personality similar to Y-chan from PokeSpe.
    I really hope Serena will get a new style long hair like this--

I want a new personality Because I hate how she act so weak and shy around Ash.
    Its as if she will die if Ash reject her , She's no different then those fangirl who chase after rock-star.
    Just because she has a crush on Ash doesn't mean she has to act like his puppy.
    She lacks coolness and style then Misty , May and Serena had.
    Plus , Serena looks much more prettier when she's angry or aggresive ! If only the writer realize that.
    Serena need to act like a Beautiful Confident Girl who can get 10 guys like Ash So It is he who's the lucky one to have her.
    I don't get that feeling for Serena , Instate its feel like Serena will be the lucky one if Ash return her feeling So it will be like Ash pitting her .

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    To be honest I'm a fan of her long hair.

I won't say she doesn't look good in any hair style though; she is a very pretty girl. :3

Not as nearly as pretty as Dawn & May .
    And now she no match for them after cutting off her hair.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Not as nearly as pretty as Dawn & May .
    And now she no match for them after cutting off her hair.

Needless to say; I strongly disagree; especially since I found both Dawn and May lacking in gentleness of personality. Serena's cuteness and beauty is not something you cannot compare to any of Ash's previous female companions. It stands out on it's own in it's own unique fashion. I think her appearance and her care for it says a lot more about her than it would say about someone as loud as May, Dawn or Misty.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Needless to say; I strongly disagree; especially since I found both Dawn and May lacking in gentleness of personality. Serena's cuteness and beauty is not something you cannot compare to any of Ash's previous female companions. It stands out on it's own in it's own unique fashion. I think her appearance and her care for it says a lot more about her than it would say about someone as loud as May, Dawn or Misty.

If your idea of perfect girl are those who totally gentle , polite and never talks back then it disappointing.
    Dawn & May are better because they are gentle but they also doesn't hesitant to speak out their mind to anyone.
    Serena is Ash's childhood friend but she still act like a New girl.
    On the otherhand , Dawn & May were new girls but they manage to get intimate with Ash in just 3 episode like an Actual friend.

Truth is , Even Y-chan is more prettier then Serena even though both of them are based on same person.
    But again , Your are girl so your probably seeing thing from Girls perceptive.
    Unlike me who sees thing from a guys perceptive.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
    If your idea of perfect girl are those who totally gentle , polite and never talks back then it disappointing.
    Dawn & May are better because they are gentle but they also doesn't hesitant to speak out their mind to anyone.
    Serena is Ash's childhood friend but she still act like a New girl.
    On the otherhand , Dawn & May were new girls but they manage to get intimate with Ash in just 3 episode like an Actual friend.

Truth is , Even Y-chan is more prettier then Serena even though both of them are based on same person.
    But again , Your are girl so your probably seeing thing from Girls perceptive.
    Unlike me who sees thing from a guys perceptive.

Yes it is the girls' perspective I see. I don't happen to agree that May is any kind of gentle. May was a huge brat. Dawn, while a little gentler was pretty bratty herself. Serena at least is gentle and isn't quite nearly as self-centered. She has a lot more compassion in my opinion; something that both May and Dawn did have to struggle with to really attain later on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Yes it is the girls' perspective I see. I don't happen to agree that May is any kind of gentle. May was a huge brat. Dawn, while a little gentler was pretty bratty herself. Serena at least is gentle and isn't quite nearly as self-centered. She has a lot more compassion in my opinion; something that both May and Dawn did have to struggle with to really attain later on.

May nearly sacrificed her only chance for Grandfestival for Max and revived a dead town.
    Dawn put herself in danger for her pokemon.
    None of them were Self-centered.
    They were honest , open , independent and determined.
    That's not brattiness .

Years
    May nearly sacrificed her only chance for Grandfestival for Max
    To be fair, wasn't that a fairly Serena-esque section, where it was also implicit that she didn't want to leave the rest? If that were a ship, it wouldn't necessarily be seen as not slightly self-serving in context, especially as Max would be taken care of regardless and it was hence just to fulfill a promise rather than help anyone. Otherwise, it is true that May and Dawn probably have more pronounced examples of such actions than Serena, but obviously this is allowed for by contrast with their also doing the opposite in pronounced manners. You doubt that most of them had particularly complex relations to the other characters, though, so their treatment of such might not differentiate them much, in any highly notable manner.

Given that the moral of most episodes at the time was some feel-good claptrap about 'being nice,' part of why people would tend to have stopped watching it past a point, May couldn't really avoid being fundamentally allied to this if she were a main character, which was the case. As such, it might be best to assume that despite occasional differences and shenanigans, May wouldn't have taken that long to become at least 'ordinarily' compassionate, if not to the same extent of ditzy cutesiness as a Pikachu. In addition, you would perhaps see some 'gentleness' in May in the sheer amount of gimmicks she had concerning her family, with multiple episodes just involving her trying to reconcile this through sheer force of will and arbitrariness, as well as her susceptability to romantic sub-plots and gestures, and in general to adapt to whatever demands were made of her in quite a quick movement, when they were posed, and almost immediately admit she was 'wrong' in the face of social disapproval in whatever context. With May, you would have generally expected plots to reach resolution in a few minutes, rather than anything serious occurring, and if she was in Contests pandering to others, generically, you couldn't expect much but 'gentleness' of her, not to say innocuousness. The anime itself seemed to intend this, pitting her against others who were meant to be nastier than most girls' rivals, such as 'Harley,' although you wonder if they didn't miss a memo by giving such a character a gimmick involving Contests.

Now, of course, episodes can at least discuss subjects with the complexity of, 'Dancing is not fundamental to Pokemon battle,' although in attempting to promote 'performances' at the same time you can't help but wonder if they're somewhat at cross-purposes. Serena's traits may generally come out more clearly as a result, as distinguished from just the progression of the episode, but you suspect that they mostly just follow from 'innocuous childhood friend,' so if you like that kind of romantic thing I guess you might like her. Her chosen path is mostly just being loud and obnoxious. She intends to go on solemn 'dates' and 'dances,' which summarises most of her character. As such, though she might miss it, to most fans of the series she would generally come across as this rather loud interruption in what might interest them about the series. That she dislikes characters for this kind of reason doesn't come across as gentle so much as focussed, which is different. She's restrained to a single progression, restricting what assertive things she may do, while May was more free to act outside of such a pathway - she wasn't a 'childhood friend' arc, she was just there. But I'd suppose you might say such things have no absolute place in the human soul, and hence are traits of actions rather than people.

So is the conclusion then that Serena's character is boring? I mean, it might be. All in all, it depends where you stand, perhaps.

Last edited:
    Back