• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shiny firsts

icycatelf

Alex
Years
  • I think I've covered all the methods...

Consecutive fishing: Corsola (X)
    - At a chain of only 2!

DexNav/Sneaking: Diglett (AlphaSapphire)
    - I was trying to find a Slugma in the Fiery Path, but saw something digging and sneaked up on it. Out popped a blue-nosed Diglett! I thought it was a completely random Shiny, but I eventually found out that Pokémon found via DexNav/Sneaking have better Shiny rates. I wasn't going to evolve it, but finally gave in at Lv.97 (I think), just in case it eventually gets an evolution or Mega that I like.

Friend Safari: Spheal (X)
    - This was back before I even knew that the FS had better Shiny rates.

Hatched (with Masuda method): Pidove (Black 2)
    - I had a dream that I had gotten a Shiny Pokémon. It inspired me to play the game again and I noticed that I had 5 eggs in my party and decided to hatch them. The 4th egg hatched as a Shiny. (The dad was a Japanese Braviary.) I'm so glad that it was a male, because I really dislike Unfezant female.

Hatched (without Masuda method): Meowth (Black 2)
    - I was at my grandparents' house (I can't remember if it was their anniversary or my grandpa's birthday) and had been trying to MM a Shiny Meowth, but I got tired of it and decided to try to breed a regular one with a good Nature/IVs (I bred both parents myself). I think it was like... the second batch of eggs that hatched my pink-tipped Meowth. Now it's a Persian that I use on my main team. <3

Horde: Zangoose (X)
    - I was trying to MM a Shiny Absol when I decided to take a detour and run through the grass -- you never know when you might find a Shiny, right? The first thing I run into is a Horde, though no Shiny, so I run. Something tells me to walk around in the grass longer and another Horde pops up right after that, wielding a Shiny Zangoose right in the center.

PokéRadar: Dunsparce (Pearl)
    - The first time I ever found a Shiny while intentionally looking for one (this was before I even knew how to properly use the PokéRadar). It was Christmas day and I was at home with my dad when I talked to Dawn's sister who said that Dunsparce were swarming. I remembered spending ages with a Dunsparce in Silver Version (trying to evolve it in vain) and got attached to it over that time, so I thought I wouldn't mind getting a Shiny one. It didn't even occur to me to have any Repels on hand, but I found it anyway at a chain of 14! It's now my signature Pokémon.

Soft-resetting: Porygon (Platinum)
    - I was trying to SR for a Modest one in Veilstone City, but got a Shiny one sooner and decided that I'd rather have a Shiny than a Modest one. I cloned it a couple times so I'd have all the evolutions, but the only one I actually use is Porygon2 (part of my Normal monotype team).

Totally random: Golbat (Silver)
    - My first Shiny ever (aside from Red Gyarados, of course). I found it in the Ice Path and thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when it sparkled (I didn't know about Shiny Pokémon back then and didn't notice the color difference), so I tried to run from it. I guess the game said "Couldn't get away," but for some reason I read it as "You don't want to do that!" Heeding that advice, I caught it. Later checked it out in the PC and, sure enough, like Gyarados, there were those three stars in the corner. Unfortunately, I lost it with my save file over the years (along with Beedrill and Pidgeot). :(

Last edited:
    Years
  • My only shiny is this li'l guy I Masuda methoded in my Y version.

459.png

I named him Freezer, and he has a Calm nature, which is OK for a Snover, I guess

Years
  • I haven't used all the methods, but the ones I have, I'll cover.

My first ever shiny was back in original Ruby, taking a detour through Rusturf Tunnel. Shiny Whismur. Back then shinies were a fabled, impossible dream to me. I knew about them, but never thought I'd ever see one. Almost had a heart attack when I saw those green ears lol. I wound up poisoning it and had almost no Pokeballs, but caught it with only a couple hp left, on the last ball. Named it Chance, but was quite disappointed when I saw how little shiny Exploud was different from regular, and traded it for a shiny Metang. When everybody and their mother got shiny Beldums with ORAS I found myself regretting it a little, but found another shiny Whismur in a Horde shortly after. Named it Revenant, and this one I'm keeping. :)

First ever hatched with MM was... I think it was a Litleo in Y I named Sarabi. I was hoping for male, but beggars can't be choosers hehe. I still have her.

First I hatched without MM was an Archen. I was stunned. I'd written a story about a shiny Archeops named Soldier once, so I named it that and he still holds a place of honor in my box. Dumb luck ftw.

First Friend Safari was a Bergmite, I think? I didn't know at the time that Safari's had better shiny rates, so I thought I was quite lucky. I don't even remember what I named him, but I wound up trading him away.

Horde encounters, my first was a Zangoose surrounded by Sevipers, who promptly killed him. :( So I bred a Skill Swap, Telepathy Ralts named Savior and went back there. Eventually I found another Zangoose that I swapped Telepathy onto and saved. Named him Triumph, and I still have him hehe. I plan to use him in a team with a shiny Seviper I have, because why not make mortal enemies work together.

And my first Wondertrade shiny was a Shinx. Adamant, with 4 egg moves. I was thrilled. I got two more shinies off WT that night too. I thought it was impossibly good luck, but later found out it had been Wondertrade Wednesday. Who knew?

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • My first, and only, shiny was a Cubone I met when using the PokéRadar, looking for a thick club. At the time I didn't know PokéRadar improved the chances of meeting a shiny.

Lapis

✿ Flower Child ✿
    Years
  • My first shiny ever was in Black/White: It was a Mincinno

My first chain fishin shiny was in X/Y: It was a Horsea and now my fabulous Kingdra. <3 Also what is funny about this is she showed up on my birthday.

My first friend safari shiny was a Pikachu. I gave him away to one of my friends. XD

I tried MMing multiple times and the PokeRadar, but I get bored and rage quit so. XD

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    My first shiny was a Hoothoot in Crystal, except that I was just starting out and didn't know shinies were a thing, so I killed it instead of catching it. Whoops. The first shiny I actually caught was a Quagsire.

Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2023
    Shiny Geodude I found in FireRed. Didn't even notice it had a gold tint, just ran away lolol
    obviously i'm still bummed about it :(

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    The first shiny I ever encountered was a Tentacruel in Pokemon Diamond. I didn't have any Poké Balls, though, so it got away. I still lament the loss to this day.

The first shiny I caught was a shiny Pelipper in Pokemon Platinum. It was quite the exciting experience. I even took a picture of it.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • I was such a noob before...I found a shiny Pidgey. Ran Away because couldn't care less:

then I found a shiny Zubat...ran away again.

first shiny I caught was a shiny Geodude, I also never noticed it was shiny haha

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    first shiny ever was a caterpie. I put it in the daycare and it ended up leveling up to level 15 and me and my dumbass 8 year old self thought once it was past the level it was supposed to evolve at it couldn't evolve so i forgot about it. THE REGRET

Embernight

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    First shiny I ever saw was this Exeggcute in the pokemon safari on Fire Red. I didn't know about shinies at the time, and assumed that there were rare golden pokemon on the game. I tried to catch it, but, it ran away. I actually spent awhile trying to find it again thinking it couldn't have gone far, (8 year-old self didn't realize that that's not how the game works). I vowed to never catch pokemon in a safari zone again, in case a shiny appeared.

First shiny I captured (besides the red Gyarados given in HGSS) was a Psyduck in Soul Silver. Just randomly found when wandering through the grass. It was also the last shiny I've caught/seen since.

Parivir

rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    Years
  • The only shinies I've ever gotten are in hacks, actually. One was a Gastly in a hack that boosted shiny encounter rate, and one (I forgot the species) in a hack that didn't.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • The first Shiny that i ever got is Shiny Pidgey, I was very happy to see it but i don't have any Pokeballs to catch it so it ran away that makes me feel very bad after that so i don't play any Pokemon game on that day :(

Years
  • I was hatching one single Diglett egg in X to get the Pokedex entry and it ended up hatching shiny so it was like.. what?! Not something I expected at all but I guess it's because I was using either a foreign Ditto or Dugtrio. Not something I'd expect to happen from one egg though but it did. c-: Now it sits around looking pretty in my box in Alpha Sapphire, lol.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    The red Gyarados in Gold, obviously. Well, if we don't count that one, then it was a Weepinbell, that I got in Gold as well.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • First shiny I ever encountered (Lake of Rage Gyarados) was a shiny Rhyhorn late in Silver version. I had no idea what a shiny was, it was my first Pokemon game, and I never in a MILLION years thought it was anything overly rare or special. I knew they weren't super common, but I didn't care for Rhyhorn very much so I just KO'd it. I can't say I regret that all too much, since by the time I found out how special shinies are I was on Platinum, and I wouldn't have gotten to keep it anyway.

Second shiny I encountered was in Platinum. It was a shiny Shinx that I ended up giving to my fiancee. Sadly she lost the SoulSilver she was keeping it on and was really crushed about that. So after I got really into breeding on Pokemon X I decided to Masuda her one and she treasures it now. ^-^

There's also my favorite of all my Pokemon; Sirius, my shiny Ninetales. My fiancee bred him for me for my birthday years back. He's terrible in terms of IV's and... being a Ninetales, but I love him all the same and adore having him in Amie.

Back