• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

SillyDiku Bettlnet

Years
  • ok, on my mom's computer, she keeps getting viruses. she uses sbc yahoo online protection anti virus or w/e. everytime we go to do something on the computer sbc anti pops up and says it blocked either SillyDiku or Bettlnet. her internet always freezes up, computer has shut down with the blue screen like 8 times recently, when she runs ad-aware she claims it shuts down with the blue screen right before its done. i ran ad-aware and it didnt shut down but it also didn't fix the virus problem because we ran sbc anti virus also and that didnt get rid of the virus either. can someone tell me how to fix this.

Yameneko549

Eat hammer!
    Years
  • I've used SBC Yahoo's AV system before. With all due respect to the programers, it stinks.

I'd suggest getting Avast Antivirus at Avast.com, running the iAVS update to get the latest update, and then running a scan. I've foind Avast to be extremely reliable. Best of all, it's free.

That's about all I can tell you to do.

Edit: I forgot to mention, when you run the scan, do it from Safe Mode. Simply press F8 when Windows is loading and select the "Safe Mode" option.

Years
  • havent tried safe mode yet. so, does avast antivrus require a lot of ram??(does it slow your computer down easilY??) well, thank you so much for your help!!!

Yameneko549

Eat hammer!
    Years
  • It connects to see there is an update at least once a day. You can also have it manually update by right-clicking on it's system tray icon and selecting "Update(ing)\(s) > iAVS", or by opening the scanner and clicking the "iAVS" icon.

Years
  • lol, dont do that. the harddrive will eventually give up.

edit : my bad, i didnt know you put 6 MONTHS

Years
  • dude, ive been going with AV for like 8 months. i had norton 2005 but it slows my comp down and i just got avast but it slows my comp down also. but i only have 128 mb ram anywayz(lol).

Chaos

If you're running Windows, not running AV and Antispyware is technological suicide.
    Which is one of the reasons so many people are starting to question Windows. =) No AV on my Linux or OSX boxes, and no problems.

And slightly more on-topic, ClamWin is a pretty good (free and open source!) AV program for Windows. Based on ClamAV. There's also a GUI frontend for OS X. Probably don't need it on an OSX machine, but never hurts to scan files if you transfer between Mac and Windows machines a lot (for the other machine's protection).

The ClamXav page says this in a great way:
    Today, the number of viruses actively attacking OS X users is...NONE! However, this doesn't mean we should get complacent about checking incoming email attachments or web downloads, for two reasons. Firstly, there's no guarantee that we Mac users will continue to enjoy the status quo, but more importantly, the majority of the computing world use machines running MS Windows, for which an enormous quantity of viruses exist, so we must be vigilant in checking the files we pass on to our friends and colleagues etc.

If you run a mail server, there are also lots of plugins, etc. for various mailserver programs. (And lots of other program plugins, in fact... E-mail clients, POP3 proxies, practically everything.)

And of course the basic ClamAV engine can be compiled and run on almost any Unix-based system, if you know what you're doing.

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    Yame~TD said:
    No AV program? Are you running Mac OSX or Linux? If you're running Windows, not running AV and Antispyware is technological suicide.
    I use Windows and have no anti-virus, firewall, or spyware remover runnning. I'M LIVING ON THE EDGE!

Back