• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
  • Is there a way to edit where the player spawns ''initially''?

Also a question with flags, etc. If I delete the scripts that already exist, such as the Oak one in Pallet town where he pulls you back from the grass, does it free up the flag to be used for custom events? Basically like a clean slate...

Sorry for spamming the thread. I'm ideally looking for someone to be a sort of mentor, and not do the work for me but help me understand how to do it!

You can use HackMew's 'Start Map Chooser Advanced' program but it doesn't always work correctly, particularly if you've applied JPAN's engine to your FR ROM. If you are having problems then you can edit everything with a HEX Editor with this thread's instructions.

Yes, if you've made sure that a flag is not in any any event you can essentially use it as you wish. So long as events which have been left in the ROM don't rely on that particular flag to do things then you shouldn't have any problems using that flag elsewhere/ for other reasons.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    Is there any way to modify blocksets 14 and 55 in Ruby? Any time I try to make changes to those blocksets, when I change maps and come back, the changes are reverted back to what was originally there. 14 has a bunch of unused tiles for the Poke Centers and Marts, and 55 isn't used at all, though it contains the tiles for all of the Secret Base items.

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2016
    Can DS games be hacked to the extent that the GBA games do?

Also, are there any difficulty hacks for the Gen IV games similar to Blaze Black and Volt White?

StΩrmyStory

Novice Pokemon ROM hacker
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2014
    I tried starting my own thread for this question but the thread was taken down, I honestly don't know where I should post this question but I think this thread is the best place.

My question concerns pokegen

Okay, I feel the best way to explain this is by starting from the beginning.

1. I opened an unedited pokemonplatinum.nds file, everything worked properly, and as soon as I could save, I did. Doing so created a .dsv file under BATTERY

2. I opened the platinum.nds file once again, this time with the a dsv file in the battery folder, and everything worked fine, it started off right where i saved.

3. This is where i started to have trouble. I opened the dsv file with pokegen and put an abomasnow in one of the PCs.

4. After that, I did file > save file from pokegen and started up my platinum.nds file once more

5. This time my game didn't start off where I saved, but instead just started off with professor rowan.

What am I doing wrong? How can I get it to start off at the place where I saved?

LORDENGLISH

HOMESTUCK GOD
    Years
  • (tried searching, unknown if this has been asked before, sorry if it has)
    Greetings, all.
    I need to make my fire red ROM load this:
    offset: E612B0
    palette: E615E4

instead of this:
    offset: E67280
    palette: E6758C

when loading the trainer card/stats.

Specifically: The offset and palette I wish it to load, are that of the team rocket grunt (male).
    This is to go with a sprite edit I did, which allows me to walk around the map appearing as a rocket grunt.

While attempting to swap the images (since I wish to retain them both as available sprites, so I can battle red with other edits I've done), Nameless Sprite Editor always gives me an error, and asks me to change the pointers, etc. If I tell it okay, the sprites are irreversibly f--ked.
    So, instead, I would like to know how to tell the game to check the wrong part of the ROM for the trainer card trainer image, causing it to display the rocket grunt and his palette.
    Is this at all possible?
    And, if so, would it also be possible for Professor Oak and Giovanni sprites when starting a new game?
    And if so, how do I do these things?
    Thanks for your time and patience, I'm very new to all this.

Kyoko1

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2014
    Hey,

So, instead, I would like to know how to tell the game to check the wrong part of the ROM for the trainer card trainer image, causing it to display the rocket grunt and his palette.
    Grab a GBA-debugger (I use VBA-SDLH) and set a breakpoint-on-read on the image or the palette.
    Then follow the routine back until there are a bunch of CMPs. -> this is the determination between male and female.
    Now you only have to edit the code and repoint, if the new code is longer.

And, if so, would it also be possible for Professor Oak and Giovanni sprites when starting a new game?
    And if so, how do I do these things?
    Use the UNLZ GBA tool.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    It uses Pal 4 though the tile animation is actually separate to the tile.
    Use Luho's tile anim editor.

That's the one I'm already using, as I said in my other post. My problem is: The animation looks fine in the tool's preview, but in-game it turns black. Any idea why that happens?

LORDENGLISH

HOMESTUCK GOD
    Years
  • Hey,

Grab a GBA-debugger (I use VBA-SDLH) and set a breakpoint-on-read on the image or the palette.
    Then follow the routine back until there are a bunch of CMPs. -> this is the determination between male and female.
    Now you only have to edit the code and repoint, if the new code is longer.

Use the UNLZ GBA tool.
    Thank you for the first one, I will try that.
    As for the second one, unlz is an image/palette editor, I thought. I...was trying to make the rom change what it loads, not the images themselves.

Jehowi

Your Master Superior
    Years
  • So I want to add some new Pokémon into my game. I didn't mess with the background because everyone advised me to keep it the same, I add the new Pokémon (I only want the first image to work since I don't intend to make the new pokémon playable, only for opponents in the elite four/gym leaders) so here's a video of what i do and what happens when I finish. So what do I do wrong?

https://youtu.be/r81RgdyVJzU

Also this happens when I try it in unlz
    https://www.imageurlhost.com/images/xp2596im4sf83f2zatc.png

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
    Years
  • So I want to add some new Pokémon into my game. I didn't mess with the background because everyone advised me to keep it the same, I add the new Pokémon (I only want the first image to work since I don't intend to make the new pokémon playable, only for opponents in the elite four/gym leaders) so here's a video of what i do and what happens when I finish. So what do I do wrong?

https://youtu.be/r81RgdyVJzU

Also this happens when I try it in unlz
    https://www.imageurlhost.com/images/xp2596im4sf83f2zatc.png

First off, use gen 3 hacking suite, not pokepic. Second, make sure your sprite is 64 x 64 as that's a hardware limitation on the GBA. Third, the background color must be the first color in the palette.

Jehowi

Your Master Superior
    Years
  • First off, use gen 3 hacking suite, not pokepic. Second, make sure your sprite is 64 x 64 as that's a hardware limitation on the GBA. Third, the background color must be the first color in the palette.

Thanks. i'll give it a try. But I think the sprite is 64x64 since it was made from the ivysaur sprite.

Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2016
    /Hi. I'm making a FireRed hack and it would be very helpful to increase the number of steps in the safari zone. Does anyone know how to do this. If you can, please list the tool required and then how to do it. Thanks!

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • /Hi. I'm making a FireRed hack and it would be very helpful to increase the number of steps in the safari zone. Does anyone know how to do this. If you can, please list the tool required and then how to do it. Thanks!

There isn't a tool to do this, but it can certainly be done via HEX editing. Here's a tutorial (Written in Spanish) on how to change a number of things relating to the Safari Zone.

Years
  • I have been hacking Pokemon Emerald and I have a problem.
    the problem I have been having has to do with the Battle Frontier.
    Pokemon in the Frontier have wrong attacks, say a Leafeon with
    icy wind. I have found out the cause. I have replaced Delibird with
    Leafeon, so Leafeon has Delibirds moves. I have made sure that
    Leafeons moves are correct in YAPE but yet when I battle a Leafeon
    in the frontier it has all of delibirds moves. how can I fix this Battle
    Frontier problem?

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Ok i know this is probably a really obvious question but, how would i determine the version of my hack? Would it be alpha beta or what?

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • Hey guys, I'm sure this has been touched on before. I'd like to make most of the regular OVERWORLD sprites DS-sized, so that would mean increasing the sprite width by 2-4 pixels. However, I'm not sure where to start--probably isn't a specific tool that does this, so where should I be looking in my hex editor to change this? It seems a fairly simple value change, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the help.

Ok i know this is probably a really obvious question but, how would i determine the version of my hack? Would it be alpha beta or what?

That's up to you, lol. You decide what version you want your hack to be... it's just been a norm of ROM hackers to give it a version # and call it an alpha, beta, etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back