• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] Small Writing Competition

Years
    So, I figure we're probably using the same scoring system as always. For the most part we just need to figure out when we want to close for entries to give us enough time to edit and to figure out what prompt to use this time.

I was thinking what we could do as a prompt that would be fitting for the theme of the GT without doing "past and present" or "time" again. I was thinking "lost" might be a good one?

Bay

Years
    We can have the writers chose "lost" and "paradox/zero" perhaps?

As for when to close entries, maybe close them on August 20th and then have up to end of GT, August 27th, to post results?

Years
    I like 'lost'. Another idea might be 'paradox', or 'zero' (because Area Zero).

We can have the writers chose "lost" and "paradox/zero" perhaps?

As for when to close entries, maybe close them on August 20th and then have up to end of GT, August 27th, to post results?

I feel like "paradox" and "zero" are very vague and incorporeal prompts. People might struggle a bit with that?

7 days is a bit much probably given how fine people usually cut it. Maybe more like close on the 24th?

Bay

Years
    I feel like "paradox" and "zero" are very vague and incorporeal prompts. People might struggle a bit with that?

7 days is a bit much probably given how fine people usually cut it. Maybe more like close on the 24th?

Probably don't need paradox or zero then if bobandbill agrees.

I guess I was thinking of us giving a good amount of time to read and judge/comment, though the entries we get in the end vastly changed each year. With that said, yeah 24th will give more time for the writers.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Can stick with 'lost' then.

Maybe split the difference - aim for 22nd as a deadline and leave some leeway for the potential extension to the 24th? Gives us a little bit more time potentially for judging.

Years
    Can stick with 'lost' then.

Maybe split the difference - aim for 22nd as a deadline and leave some leeway for the potential extension to the 24th? Gives us a little bit more time potentially for judging.

This works for me. Might discourage people from sending us an entire novel too lmao.
    I'll try to get a write-up ready soon.

Any thoughts on achievements we could do for this? I'm at a loss honestly. Maybe SWC just doesn't have any.

Bay

Years
    I'm fine with the 22nd too!

As for achievements, I think last year we went for which team turn in the most entries will get x points and we ended up with both teams entering the same amount lol. Otherwise I'm also at a lost what we can do for achivements.

Years
    I'm fine with the 22nd too!

As for achievements, I think last year we went for which team turn in the most entries will get x points and we ended up with both teams entering the same amount lol. Otherwise I'm also at a lost what we can do for achivements.

Oh yeah! We did do that. Might as well do so again.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Would we want minor silly challenges, perhaps? E.g. the longest piece of alliteration from all the entries can get 10 points for their team. Minor point awards so people can keep their entries serious without worrying about missing out, but for those who want to go for those, something 'fun' to aim for.

Years
    Would we want minor silly challenges, perhaps? E.g. the longest piece of alliteration from all the entries can get 10 points for their team. Minor point awards so people can keep their entries serious without worrying about missing out, but for those who want to go for those, something 'fun' to aim for.

Works for me.

Years
    Small Writing Competition!
    Judged by Bay, bobandbill, and gimmepie.

Small Writing Competition

Welcome everyone to the Small Writing Competition! The gist is simple - write a story based on the prompt, and submit it to the judges before the deadline.

Rules
    1.) Follow PC's rules and Fanfiction and Writing's rules.
    2.) Stories written for this competition must be completely new. In other words, they must not have been written before. You also are not allowed to post it anywhere else until judging is over. Having someone beta read your entry prior to submission in private is allowed.
    3.) You must PM your entries to all of the judges. (This is so if someone loses their PMs the others still have them and so forth). The judges in question are Bay, bobandbill, and gimmepie. You also must post in this thread when you send your PMs so we can confirm you did send us an entry.
    4.) One entry per member only, sorry.
    5.) You have until 11:59pm EST, August 22 to get your entry in.
    6.) The story can be based on Pokemon, another fandom, or be original fiction. Note the judges may not all be familiar with any other fandoms.
    7.) The entry can only be a completed one-shot as this is a small writing competition - no chaptered entries, please! There is no word limit.

Once the scores are posted and the competition is over, you may post your story in Fanfiction and Writing so that others may see it. Make sure to add [SWC] to your title if you do!

If you have any other questions, ask away!

Scoring and Prompt
    As with previous SWCs, each entry can have a maximum score of 30, with the points broken down into three categories equalling 10 points. The categories are:

Spelling and Grammar
    Characterization, Plot, and Description
    Relevance to Prompt

Each participant will receive 10 points when their entry is sent in. Furthermore, the top three places will earn additional points as detailed below.

First: 150pts
    Second: 100pts
    Third: 50pts

Additionally, we have Achievements available! Firstly, the team with the most submissions at the end will earn a bonus 50 points! On top of that though, the person who uses the longest stream of alliteration in their story will earn an extra 10 points for their team.

The prompt is lost.

Entrants

This should be right. Included both the achievement ideas. Made it mostly use shades of pink since it's kind of a middle ground between scarlet and violet.

Back